5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read for children (and adults!) of all ages
Scieszka has come up trumps again! As a primary school teacher I have found 'The Stinky Cheeseman' an invaluable source of entertainment! His adaptataions of traditional fairy stories are not only hysterical but are also great for inclusion of adapted traditional tales in the National Literacy Strategy.
His style and humour keep the children entertained but also...
Published on 26 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars For adults and teens mostly.
Published on 26 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read for children (and adults!) of all ages, 26 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
His style and humour keep the children entertained but also provide a forum for discussing the use of illustration in telling a story, adaption, bias and humour.
I would highly recommend 'The Stinky Cheeseman' for children's own personal reading and as a class read during shared reading in the literacy hour - or even better just for fun and giggles!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Oct 2007
N. Moore "Wessex Gardens Y3" (Golders Green) - See all my reviews
This book is full of really silly tales and it is very funny. The pictures show just how stinky the cheese is. Year 3 really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tales Like You've Never Heard Before, 9 Aug 2012
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The title of this book alone was enough to get me to pick it up. As a picture book, it's a fairly simple read, although I think it's mainly aimed at kids in the 4 or 5 year old range and up. They're the ones who will get the humor the best.

Why? Well, this book is a collection of twisted fairy tales. We've got "Chicken Licken," who is convinced the sky is falling - only it's not the sky. We learn what was really happening behind the scenes with the "Princess and the Pea" and how the prince overcame it. "Little Red Running Shorts" tells an interesting story about the importance of running. "The Tortoise and the Hair" introduces us to the stupidest contest of all time. Plus our narrator Jack gets into more trouble with his Giant, the Little Red Hen wanders through the book, and the title story creates quite a stink.

All told, there are roughly 10 stories here ranging from one page to eight pages. Overall, the book is around 50 pages. There is more text than your average picture book as well, so this one will take a little while to read. But the giggles and laughs at the twists in the story will more than make up for it.

So if your child is moving beyond simple picture books, this is one to get. You'll find both of you laughing the entire way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll need to be tough to cope with these nursery tales, 5 Oct 2001
Jon does it again for the more reluctant reader as well as the already-hooked. Fairy tales were meant to threaten and warn but in many 'pretty' versions even the demise of the pigs is blood free and smiley. Read about these well-known but not-so-well-known characters again and share them with an adult. Don't forget to hold their hand and leave the light on at bedtime!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, one of the best., 27 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I first knew of this book when my teacher read it to us. As soon as I had finished my homework, I went onto the Amozon, and found I was two years out of the age, I entirly disagreed with it- I laughed almost all the time it was read to us. It was also the work of a genious how the text was in different colours and sizes. Usuly, I hate fairy tales, but this gives them a knew twist. Wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious for children of all ages, 30 May 1999
By A Customer
This children's book is a hilarious tongue-in-cheek retelling of noted fairy tales. When I first read this book I laughed and laughed (I'm over 50); but, I said to myself that little children (certainly in the age group given by the publisher and the professional reviewers) would miss most of the humor. And preschoolers would be even less able to see the humor. Thus, I began to agree with the other customer reviewers who only gave the book one or two stars. But, notice that I gave the book five stars. Look at the other comments. And look at the responses you see from children that you may come in contact with. Children really enjoy the lampooning of tales they have heard thousands of time. Let us not forget that children tend to be smarter than we may think! Lampooning has always been popular (I really don't understand the comments made by an earlier adult reviewer who thought the book was simply stupid). One of the most hilarious tales of ancient Greece was a lampoon of the "Iliad" and the "Odyssey" by Pigres entitled "The Battle of the Frogs and Mice" (also known as "Batrachomyomachia"). The humor of lampoons seem to be "over-the-head" of some adults but not over-the-head of most children! This children's book was illustrated by Lane Smith and it was a 1993 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustrations in a book for children.

2.0 out of 5 stars For adults and teens mostly., 26 May 1999
By A Customer
I have a good sense of humor and I like the book but I'm 36 years old. I think it has too much sarcasm and dashed hopes for me to want to share it with a child. A 17 year old who wrote a customer review on this book helps support the idea that it is for teens and adults who have seen plenty of dreams and hopes shattered. Laughter is a wonderful release but let's let children dream a little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most unusual, twisted book of fairy tales., 29 Dec 1998
By A Customer
And my 5yr old daughter LOVES IT!!. She wants me to read it to her almost every night. Which I dont mind, because I like it just as much. Very funny tales, and great art work make this a must have. Will have everyone laughing!! The only drawback is that I wish it was longer(Are you reading this JON, longer)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stinky Cheese Man quenched our thirst for humor., 4 May 1998
By A Customer
The Stinky Cheese Man offered an alternative view of everyday fairy tales. It absolutely quenched our thirst for humor. The author combined sarcasm with old fairy tales. The book was cute because Jack, the narrator, commented on every story. The Stinky Cheese man inspired us to write our own fairly stupid tales! The authors in us are coming to life! In conclusion, we think it is a great book for children of all ages to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this twisted book, 12 Oct 1997
By A Customer
My son (a first-grader) and I have read this book over and over and find it amusing each time.
Like other adults who have reviewed it before me, I can heartily recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humor, with or without kids.

Jon Scieska is a favorite author of ours. We have sought out his other work, and look forward to sharing the Time Warp Trio books together as well.

ARRAY(0xb341d1ec)

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (Picture Puffin)
5.59