5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read for children (and adults!) of all ages
Scieszka has come up trumps again! As a primary school teacher I have found 'The Stinky Cheeseman' an invaluable source of entertainment! His adaptataions of traditional fairy stories are not only hysterical but are also great for inclusion of adapted traditional tales in the National Literacy Strategy.
His style and humour keep the children entertained but also...
Published on 26 Feb. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars For adults and teens mostly.
Published on 26 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read for children (and adults!) of all ages, 26 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
His style and humour keep the children entertained but also provide a forum for discussing the use of illustration in telling a story, adaption, bias and humour.
I would highly recommend 'The Stinky Cheeseman' for children's own personal reading and as a class read during shared reading in the literacy hour - or even better just for fun and giggles!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious for children of all ages, 30 May 1999
By A Customer
This children's book is a hilarious tongue-in-cheek retelling of noted fairy tales. When I first read this book I laughed and laughed (I'm over 50); but, I said to myself that little children (certainly in the age group given by the publisher and the professional reviewers) would miss most of the humor. And preschoolers would be even less able to see the humor. Thus, I began to agree with the other customer reviewers who only gave the book one or two stars. But, notice that I gave the book five stars. Look at the other comments. And look at the responses you see from children that you may come in contact with. Children really enjoy the lampooning of tales they have heard thousands of time. Let us not forget that children tend to be smarter than we may think! Lampooning has always been popular (I really don't understand the comments made by an earlier adult reviewer who thought the book was simply stupid). One of the most hilarious tales of ancient Greece was a lampoon of the "Iliad" and the "Odyssey" by Pigres entitled "The Battle of the Frogs and Mice" (also known as "Batrachomyomachia"). The humor of lampoons seem to be "over-the-head" of some adults but not over-the-head of most children! This children's book was illustrated by Lane Smith and it was a 1993 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustrations in a book for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stinky Cheese Man quenched our thirst for humor., 4 May 1998
By A Customer
The Stinky Cheese Man offered an alternative view of everyday fairy tales. It absolutely quenched our thirst for humor. The author combined sarcasm with old fairy tales. The book was cute because Jack, the narrator, commented on every story. The Stinky Cheese man inspired us to write our own fairly stupid tales! The authors in us are coming to life! In conclusion, we think it is a great book for children of all ages to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this twisted book, 12 Oct. 1997
By A Customer
My son (a first-grader) and I have read this book over and over and find it amusing each time.
Like other adults who have reviewed it before me, I can heartily recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humor, with or without kids.

Jon Scieska is a favorite author of ours. We have sought out his other work, and look forward to sharing the Time Warp Trio books together as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Oct. 2007
N. Moore "Wessex Gardens Y3" (Golders Green) - See all my reviews
This book is full of really silly tales and it is very funny. The pictures show just how stinky the cheese is. Year 3 really enjoyed this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars For adults and teens mostly., 26 May 1999
By A Customer
I have a good sense of humor and I like the book but I'm 36 years old. I think it has too much sarcasm and dashed hopes for me to want to share it with a child. A 17 year old who wrote a customer review on this book helps support the idea that it is for teens and adults who have seen plenty of dreams and hopes shattered. Laughter is a wonderful release but let's let children dream a little longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever re-told fairy tales appeal to children and adults., 27 Dec. 1996
By A Customer
The author/illustrator team of Joh Scieszka and Lane Smith are the gurus of fractured fairy tales, a hot trend now in children's books. Their picture book "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" is a collection of retold tales, illustrated in a clever, goofy fashion that appeals to children as well as adults. The ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck. The prince slips a bowling ball under his true love's mattress, so she'll be able to impress his parents with her sense of delicacy. The frog gets kissed but remains a frog (he lied about being a prince). And the Stinky Cheese Man, who's a variation on the Gingerbread Man we all know and want to eat, is able to escape because, frankly, he's not all that appetizing. In fact, he stinks. This author/illustrator pair have also collaborated on "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs," and Scieszka wrote "The Frog Prince Continued," illustrated by Steve Johnson. Both are hilarious.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most unusual, twisted book of fairy tales., 29 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
And my 5yr old daughter LOVES IT!!. She wants me to read it to her almost every night. Which I dont mind, because I like it just as much. Very funny tales, and great art work make this a must have. Will have everyone laughing!! The only drawback is that I wish it was longer(Are you reading this JON, longer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good release from the stresses of adult life!, 16 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
I received this book as a gift from a friend when I was in college. Although I admit that at first I was a bit puzzled at the choice, as soon as I had a chance to read such greats as "The Stinky Cheese Man" and the other "weird tales" I realized what a great gift this book was. Anyone with a child-like sense of humor and a taste for great, silly parody will get a good belly laugh out of this book. In fact, I found that my mother had already purchased "The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs" for herself, and that, too, soon became a family favorite. (Despite the fact that the youngest of us was in high school at the time.) A truly enjoyable read, with terrific, original illustrations and enough craziness to lightness one's mood one the worst of days! I strongly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who can read this and NOT laugh?, 28 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
This book is great! I'm 17, and I recieved this book as a Christmas present four years ago. I love it! I brought it to school one day and shared it with my friends. Skeptical as to how they would take it (since the book is really for children, not teens), I told them that it was my brothers. They laughed so hard that I finally fessed up. They all wanted a copy! I am planning to check into other books by these guys! So no matter what your age, even a teenager like me, you'll love this book. If you don't, give it away. You just don't have much of a sense of humor.

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (Picture Puffin)