5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiul and thought-provoking book for all ages, 21 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my young and spiritually aware 4 year old thinking that I would read it with her when she is a little older. The illustrations are delightful and the text is so easy to understand that I've been reading it to her now. This is a special book with a vital message to us all. The sooner our children understand the message it carries, the better chance they have of improving our world. He says "The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth." I still have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye when I read it. If you can't buy it for a child, buy it for yourself - it's beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful teaching resource, 29 July 2004
I used this book recently with a year three class. It followed an in-school drama performance of a story relating to Irish migration, and the subsequent frontier movement of the pioneers. The children were totally fascinated by the story and were able to take on board the fact, that; although based on truth and actual events, the words said to be spoken by Chief Seattle are open to question.
The paintings are beautiful, as is the poetic language. I intend to use this text again. It has potential across the curriculum, providing excellent Literacy opportunities as well as starting points for other areas such as; PSHE, Geography, History, RE, Music and Art.
This is a valuable resource. It is unfortunate that we will never know an 'absolute' version of Chief Seattle's speech but, Jeffers' simple interpretation makes his intention widely accessible, and can only serve to invoke greater interest in the tragedy of the Northwest Indian tribes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caring for the natural world, 25 Feb 2011
Well written and super illustrations. Clearly conveys message that we need to look after the natural world - fitted in superbly into RE teaching syllabus and cost very resaonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book........., 12 Jun 2014
should be on every child's bookshelf. It doesn't actually matter whether Chief Seatte ever really made his famous speech (there is some controversy over this point)., every child should know just how important our earth is to our well being. This book is a real treasure and teaches about our dependence on nature and how we are destroying it in a simple story with beautiful and evocative illustrations. I;ve read it to every class I've ever taught and it's never failed to induce emotion. It is, quite simply, a beautiful book with a real message,

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 19 May 2014
Quite simply some of the most humbling, beautiful, inspiring, spiritual thoughts ever uttered by a human being. Please do yourself a favour and just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 13 Aug 2013
This is an amazing book which I use when teaching 'Stories from other cultures'. It has beautiful pictures, a very honest narrative and a wonderful history. This is also great to use at home with children. Would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 10 Mar 2013
This content of this book is fantastic. I've read it before and wanted my own copy. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying a used copy and was sent the book without the cover. Had this been mentioned in the description I would not have bought it. I am not pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars i loved this as a child, 18 July 2012
My grandmother sent me this book when I was around seven, I'm now 24. I loved this book as a child and it remains to this day one of the books from my childhood i remember the most, right down to the pictures of people riding spotted ponies. It carries a beautiful message than has stayed with me to this day, I am now writing this review having had a sudden urge to buy it for my nephew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but be aware of the problems., 5 Dec 1999
Without doubt this is a beautifully produced book and is ideal in terms of consciousness-raising. So, on face-value terms, a valuable addition to a child's library. However there is controversy surrounding what Seattle actually said, indeed some of the content is anachronistic. Two problems need to be considered. Firstly, Native American speeches were written down via mediators who often added to the content, or sometimes simply mis-translated. The second problem is that supposed Native American wisdom has been appropriated by white people for a number of reasons over the past four centuries, ost recently by people interested in Green issues. I do not argue that we can learn from different cultures' attitudes to the environment, including those of Native America. What we must do is to grant peoples a right to a history of their own,in which we value accuracy and not merely use them as cultural icons.

Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle (Picture Puffin)
5.24