Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2010
This was recommended to me and is ideal for my needs as a law student. Price and delivery was competitive
on 7 February 2009
Really excellent reference book, very,very pleased with it. We use it for Scrabble and Crossword Puzzles and find it most helpful. Obviously it has far, far wider uses ( for Essays etc) for which it would also be an excellent source. It is extremely easy and clear to use and I would recommend it for any type of word study. It is also up-to-date and comprehensive.
on 5 October 2010
It's great value for money and very well organized. It's your guide when writing any kind of documents: from your CV to technical documentation.
on 17 December 2012
I would say that this is still a worthwhile book. I know people are saying that it is outdated, but that should not be the reason to say it's not relevant.
on 17 January 2013
I bought this for my husband becaure the 1 he had years ago was dropping to bits,he doesnt like looking things up on the computer so this is ideal,
on 9 June 2014
I was truly delighted with the condition of the book when it arrived and for the price I doubt very much if it could be beaten anywhere.
Roget's Thesaurus is a classic and I am always agog at the learning and stamina of its original compilers. It is divided into sections and therefore needs an index to find a particular word and this takes up nearly half of the book. The sections include " Abstract relations" with 8 sub-headings, "Space" with 4 and so on. Let's say you want "uselessness" (as I did when my cake sank): you go to the index, find "useless" as an adjective and at number 641. There you find the noun "uselessness" with many synonyms, other numbered words to look up, sub-sections such as "rubbish" (describes my cake exactly!), the adjectival sense with similar entries and the verb "make useless". Best of all is the inclusion of expressions: here are several such as "flog a dead horse" (as in trying to revive a failed cake!) It is therefore a dictionary of idioms also. Using it sounds complex but it does become second nature when you have a copy in your eager hands - so buy it now. You won't regret it!
on 16 February 2016
My very old paper back version (only my second since 1966) has begun to fall apart. This time I have invested in the hardback edition and it is brilliant,I have also removed the flysheet and covered the hard cover in sticky back plastic.
It arrived promptly and in excellent condition
on 29 December 2015
A present for my father, he was happy/conternt/pleased/cheered/glad/joyful.
on 11 September 2014
Rather disappointed, nothing like as excellent as avery old copy I have now falling to pieces through overuse. Many words missing. Print too small to be read by elderly even with spectacles>
55 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse