Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2004
This book is extremely useful. It will help anyone at any level, from a regular or professional writer to someone trying to create a CV or letter.
Everything is explained in simple layman's terms, and is supported by useful everyday examples. The best thing is that it's not at all patronising, it's just very matter of fact.
I would strongly recommend this book, and would also recommend "The Penguin Guide to Punctuation" by Robert L. Trask in the same series.
on 20 April 2007
I write for a living and I also train others to improve their writing and this lovely little book as been a godsend. I encourage everyone I ever teach to buy it (or get the boss to buy it for them).

It's written so well that you can relax with it over a cup of tea or read it on the train home after a tiring day's work and it won't send you to sleep! It is practical, approachable and has everything it says that good writing should: clarity, simplicity, economy, variety, vigour and suitability.

Mind you, I would have called it the Penguin Writers' Manual. I wonder if they agonised over that. Maybe they want us all to have one each, not to share.
77 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2009
The Penguin Writer's Manual is a perfect addition to any writer's bookshelf. In fact it's a valuable reference for anyone who lays their hand on a pen, pencil or quill.
The book covers pretty much everything from the most basic punctuation; to usage and even writing essays and taking notes.
This book has helped me a lot and I've used it a lot (I've nearly destroyed it from the overuse of a highlighter).
You should get this book if you're looking to brush up on English skills or at college or Uni and want an easy-to-dive-in-and-read reference. Honestly, just get this book it's very good.
on 7 January 2012
I am a bit of a pedant when it comes to writing, which makes this book perfect for me! Whether it's to find out whether I should use 'different to' or 'different from' or to give me a bit of info about abbreviations, this is my 'go to' book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who cares about the words they use!
on 1 December 2013
A few pages into this book - which promised hints and tips on how to write better English - I noticed a subtitle spelt 'Grammer'. This must have been an omen of things to come, as some of the examples given for correct usage were underlined and the rest were left to interpretation. I didn't even manage to read a quarter of this book as I felt the explanations of Grammar and the components of English were not described clearly.

I would have expected better quality from a Penguin guidebook, especially one for £7.99. Needless to say, I got a refund!
on 24 May 2004
I purchased "The Penguin Writer's Manual (Penguin Reference Books)". Although it says reference - it actually is teaching you how to group words into paragraphs. Over-all how to construct paragraphs into an essay.
Not only that, it starts from basics to advance writing essays or novels.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn from scratch or use it as a reference book.
The great thing about this book is that it is so easy to understand. The author has taken great deal of pains taking to explain how the paragraph's can be constructed in a lay man's term.
It is definitely better book!
on 5 December 2013
Apparently over 40% of our actions are a result of habit. Scary when you think about speech. You start noticing how to improve when you start reading. highly recommended
on 21 February 2016
I was looking for books related to better writing and found this in WHSmith. I picked up the Kindle version instead and it was exactly what I needed. Ideal for writers of all formats, particularly copywriters and SEOs. The main element I took from the book is to know your audience and how to write for them but ultimately to keep it as simple and readable as possible without alienating your readers.
on 12 August 2013
It's a useful book and gives you plenty to consider when putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboards. I couldn't have written this review without it.
on 10 May 2013
Brilliant book and perfect to use as a reference book to check grammar . This is excellent and would definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in getting their English right .