Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2005
"Easy to follow, this step by step guide will dispel the mysteries of punctuation and provide an invaluable aid to writing clear English". This quote from the cover describes "The Penguin Guide to Punctuation" in a nutshell. Well structured, with a clear style and good layout, it deals separately with each area of punctuation, both British and American, and provides illustrative examples for each case.

If you need to learn modern English punctuation quickly and easily, or if you just need a ready reference to verify the punctuation of your writing from time to time, buy this book. Not only is it an excellent book but it is also good value.
on 3 December 2003
This a good, straightforward, easy-to-read guide to punctuation. The table of contents is clearly laid out with chapters and sub-headings that allow easy searches for what you need to know - whether it's possessive apostrophes, the ellipsis or the slash that you're looking for.
An excellent reference book for those who want to learn and those who just need a reminder.
on 1 June 2006
Written by an author who clearly has strong feelings on the subject, this guide addresses each punctuation mark in turn, citing examples to cover every conceivable instance of its use. Differences between British and American usages are always highlighted where necessary (which is a nice touch I haven't seen in many other guides).

Despite being such a small book, the content is pretty much exhaustive, and Trask always expresses his opinion without pontificating. It's also written in an approachable style (where most guides are rigidly formal).

Worth every penny.
on 1 May 2007
Punctuation is the most confusing part of grammar for writers.

This book details the correct usage for each punctuation, in a way that a thirteen year old would understand.

Most definitely the best English lesson I have had.

If you only buy one book on writing/grammar, than I advise you to buy this one.
on 13 October 2000
This book is a very sound guide to correct punctuation. The author has strong opinions, which makes the book more interesting to read. It is full of examples and easy to understand. The book answered every question I had about punctuation.
on 15 February 2005
If, like me, you were once unsure of when to use a comma; where to place a semi-colon, this book will help you enormously.
Structured simply and written in plain English this book will banish any puzzlement over punctuation.
I really wish someone had shown me this book when I was at school.
on 15 March 2008
This is a nice little book to get you started or even refresh your memory on correct punctuation. It's a nice and easy book to read through and, though a mere 160 pages or so, very comprehensive, covering all you will need to know about punctuation. I've just quickly read through it today, but will read through it in more detail at my leisure in the hope of purging some of my many bad writing habits. Recommended.
on 12 September 2009
This book has been invaluable to me, when checking my punctuation for writing assignments for university and learning about punctuation in general. It is a nice easy book to pick up and read a few pages of at the end of a busy day. There appears to be everything I need to know, or I have had a need to know so far, and I would recommend this book to everyone even those with just a vague interest in grammar. I shall definitely buying more books in the penguin reference series and by Trask.
on 25 August 2004
An excellent book that gives a very simple recap of how punctuation should be used in the English language. It is logically organised with plenty of excellent examples. Unlike The Penguin Guide to Plain English, a truly awful book, this is both pragmatic and very readable.
I haven't read the 'populist' Eats Shoots and Leaves book yet, and I don't feel compelled to; this little book contains all you need.
on 16 May 2011
I was stunned at how good this book is from beginning to end.

I have read a number of books on punctuation, but never one as good at this. It covers everything, provides definitive rules, and makes all elements of punctuation crystal clear. What a delight!