5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a musically inclined child., 11 Dec 1997
By A Customer
This is an excellent book for the musically inclined child whose singing voice is a little less than melodious. In the book, the vocally challenged Lentil finds his mantra through the harmonica and ends up saving the day with it. My father gave me this book along with a harmonica when I was seven years old in response to my wobbly warbling, and I've been playing harmonica and many other instruments ever since. I just can't 'harp' enough on how great of inspiration this book was to me and could be for other vocally vexed children. -stephen

5.0 out of 5 stars Lentil made a harmonica player out of me!, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Lentil (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
I heard this story a looooooong time ago. I was still in primary school, and let just say that it was -- uh -- a WHILE back! :) I've heard the audio of it and was quite impressed with the skill of the harmonica playing. To this day, I wonder who the harmonica artist was -- Larry Adler, perhaps?

But I started piano lessons at age seven and was familiar with some basic forms of harmony by my late grade school years, and knew a bit about playing by ear, so I bought a little plastic red harmonica and learned to play some simple tunes on it and even some church music (my father is a preacher). I identified with Lentil, who seemed to be carving out his identity with his music. Up to a point, I did the same, even being able to eventually put out a fairly accurate OVERTURE TO WILLIAM TELL and the BRIDaL CHORUS. I liked the harmonica, but found that it lacked the sub-dominant chord, so it was either:

1. Play with two harmonicas, with one supplying the missing chord

2. Fake it where needed.

I have done both.

However -- one difference between Lentil and myself -- he "saved the day" by playing "Coming 'Round the Mountain" for a visiting dignitary. I, by contrast, found the piano to be flexible and returned to it.

But I haven't forgotten how to play the harmonica, and may get another one -- or two, if I want the sub-dominant chord. And I hope Lentil will be proud of me. AFter all, he got me into playing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a winner!, 9 Jan 2010
Jane Lebow "jennywren" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lentil (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
Lentil, a charming old book by Robert McCloskey (Make Way for Ducklings, Homer Price, One Morning in Maine and many others), still enchants the reader. My four-almost-five-year-old grandson, a budding musician, can't read the book himself, but he enjoys hearing how Lentil surmounted his difficulties and succeeded in making a good name for himself with his harmonica. Typical of McCloskey, the illustrations are just as inviting as the text.

I was not there when the book arrived, but it was sent promptly, and apparently was in fine shape when it got there. What a pleasure also to be able to send something from the States to the UK and not have to fret about dollars and pounds. A great convenience.

Lentil (Picture Puffin)
Lentil (Picture Puffin) by Robert McCloskey (Paperback - 1 Dec 1980)
4.12