5.0 out of 5 stars It's an Oldie but a Goldie!,, 5 July 2007
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
My kindergarten teacher had also read this book to me and now I'm reading it to my kids, but really to my son because he's 4 and my daughter is 8. She listens to it when it comes time for me to read it to him because she would find it amusing. Blueberries for Sal preserve a distinct since of life when tin pails and wood smoke, bobby pins and rambling dirt roads were routine. At the same time it is a timeless portrayal of curiosity and maternal instinct as Sal and her mother find themselves sharing their berry patch with a hungry bear cub and its mother. The words flow in a natural rhythm, creating patterns that build anticipation.

Although the illustrations appear a bit outdated the story is an excellent account of the misadventures of children, human & animal alike. Every mother with a small child (s) can relate to the mischievous & innocent thoughts of wanting to eat more than they care to pick.

`Blueberries for Sal' is a delightful book that will hold your child (s) interest to the end. Not too long and not too short, just right! If this book appeals to you I would also recommend. `Millions of Cats,' `We're Going On A Bear Hunt,' and `Hats for sale.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Symmetry of Nature, Family, and Nurture!, 22 May 2004
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Little Sal and her mother go to Blueberry hill to pick berries, and they plan to can them as preserves for the winter. Little Sal soons starts eating all the berries she picks, plus some from her mother's pail. Encouraged to go off to find berries to pick by herself, mother and Sal become separated. On the other side of the mountain, Little Bear and his mother are coming to eat all the blueberries they can to get as fat as possible so they can survive the winter. They, too, get separated.
Soon, Little Sal stumbles onto following mother bear and Little Bear is following Sal's mother. Eventually, the mothers discover the mistake, back away in shyness from the other's child, and look for their own offspring. Along the way, the children run into bird mothers and their families as well. Everyone goes home with the correct mother, and the last drawing has Little Sal with her mother in an old-fashioned kitchen with a wood stove working on the preserves.
The story is gently and beautifully told, and wonderfully complemented by the illustrations (also drawn by Mr. McClosky).
It is a good introduction for children to the way that all human and animal families work, the need to prepare for the future, and that one has to pay attention to where one is going. It will also interest them in blueberry picking, which is a wonderful family occupation. It is also very heart-warming the way Mr. McClosky has taken the potential fright out of a situation where a child has wandered off and run into a mother bear. The child can draw her or his own lesson that they would not want that to happen to them, rather than having the story provide terror.
Mr. McClosky has expressed a benign but significant role to nature that will serve families well. I wonder if he ever visited the Galapagos, because the animals there and the people act much like in this story.
Overcome your disbelief stalls about how children can learn from stories with this outstanding book. I rate it one of my top five of all time for younger children. It was a favorite of all four of our children. I hope it will be for you and your children and grandchildren, as well.
Think of this story the next time you eat some blueberry preserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics never get old., 28 Jun. 2011
Our 4 year old Daughter loves to have this book read to her. The story and the pictures convey the message of innocence, responsibility, and respect in a manner only a true story teller could master.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "blue" classic about blueberries, bears, and Moms., 12 May 1999
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
A children's book about a little girl named Sal who goes up into the hills to pick blueberries with her mother and eats as many blueberries as she puts into her pail! She encounters a mother bear and her cub also picking blueberries; but, soon the little cub is trailing Sal's mother while Sal is trailing the mother bear. McCloskey's blue and white illustrations are perfect for this story and it resulted in the book being a 1949 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustration in a book for children. It is a must for the shelves of any parent of a preschooler or the shelf of any serious student of children literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie!, 7 Sept. 1997
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
Although the illustrations appear a bit outdated and even stereotypical, this is truly a children's classic. I remember reading it as a child, and now I have seen it anew through the eyes of my neice and nephew (who loved it) and now my own daughter. When followed by a field trip of berry picking, this is a fun and educational experience which will surely create a great memory for your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars I still love it!, 1 Oct. 1997
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
Sal is every little kid eating all the blueberries in her pail and then reaching into mom's pail to get some more. It is a cute story of mother and and child that all parents and their children will relate to. It is one "children's book" that appeals to all ages. There is adventure and surprise all mixed with humor but I'll let you read about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prized in the collection of Professional Childrens Librarian, 25 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
Of the thousands of books she reviewed only a handfull landed in her personal collection, Blue Berries for Sal is one of them. My Mother had a masters degree in library science and served California's Ventura County as Childrens library administrator for many years. It remains a book dear to my heart and now dear to my young daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book that stands alone in my memories of childhood, 2 May 1997
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
This was one of my favorite books as a child and I have passed the book on to my daughter. The pictures and story are excellent accounts of the misadventures of children, human & animal alike. Every mother with a small child can relate to the mischievous & innocent thoughts of wanting to eat more than they care to pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, 6 July 1998
By A Customer
Blueberries for Sal is a great book for kids. It is so cute the way that Sal keeps eating the blueberries, and she strays away from her mom. It is also so cute how the baby bear also strays from its mom. I loved the book when I was a kid, and I still do!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the way it flows, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) (Paperback)
The story is very well written. I like the way it flows. I like the illustrations too. I just wish There was more colour in it. But Otherwise an excellent book for young readers.

Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin)
Blueberries for Sal (Picture Puffin) by Robert McCloskey (Paperback - 30 Sept. 1976)