on 15 July 2001
I wanted to try Moroccan cookery and was delighted to be given this book as a present. The recipes are clear and easy to follow, many of them can be cooked in advance and the illustrations are lovely - and almost realistic. None of the ones I have tried have failed to delight (my partner asks me to mention especially the Saffron Caramel Cream on p 187). Most of the ingredients have been readily available - even in the provincial outreaches of Leeds (OK so I can't find frozen artichoke bottoms but that's my fault, right, for not living in London - use fresh ones instead from local allotments garden shop!) I have been inspired to ask - and receive - a tagine cooking pot for Christmas and to move on to more dedicated books on specific cuisine such as Moroccan Cuisine by Paula Wolfert. An excellent follow up to, if not in the same league as, The Book of Jewish Food.
on 8 September 2001
This is a wonderful book full of easy to cook recipes that taste delicious and will impress your family and friends. The dishes taste exotic but use ingredients that are easily available in most supermarkets. The book includes recipes for salads, soups, main dishes, vegetables and desserts. My sister spent years learning how to cook like this in the Middle East. I can now (almost) reach her standard by using this book.
on 7 March 2000
This is the first time that I read a book by Claudia Roden and I was very impressed by it. I have tried about half a dozen recipes from this book within a two week period. The instructions are very simple to follow and the end results are delicious. The only suggestion that I would like to make is to insert a section with explanations of all the spices and ingredients somewhere in the book.
on 21 August 2012
Claudia Roden's books have been available for many years and have always been recognised as among the best. My earliest one is a soft-covered Penquin, much used and much revered. Modern books have got larger, with better paper and fantastic pictures. The text is very good, I prefer it to that of Elizabeth David, who is sometimes patronising. The Mediterranean seems to be the centre of attention these days, but Ms Roden has the right to discuss the cuisine of the region due to her experience, family connections and writing skills. Her new Spanish book is also excellent, with a great sense of history, and not the feeling of the writer rushing around in a camper-van hardly stopping to write down the next recipe.
on 17 September 2009
We already owned a copy of this. A friend came to stay and we recommended and bought one for her. Had to Amazon to find a copy as it's now out of print. This is just the kind of food we like, not too pretentious and high on taste.
Certainly worth a reprint.
on 23 January 2014
Got this for a friend who was interested in cooking middle eastern food but is an amateur cook. She found the book inspiring and everything was really easy to make, easy to follow recipes, and the way it is written makes you want to eat everything in it. Would really recommend this to anyone wanting to cook middle eastern food.
on 19 March 2015
As good as most of Claudia Roden's cookery books
on 15 March 2016
my all time favourite cookbook
on 19 July 2012
What a great recipe book - inspired me to buy more spices (and even more spicejars to keep them in) Fantastic recipes that evoke memories of holidays to Egypt and North Africa.
on 9 August 2013
Quite comprehensive and interesting recipes for a beginner in middle eastern cookery, good for an introduction to the area's cuisine