4.0 out of 5 stars Good compact recipe book, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: A New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Cookery Library) (Paperback)
This is a penguin compact paperback without pics, beware. But lovely street scene sketches throughout the book. the recipes are tasty, simple for most, with not too many ingredients or hard to get ones. This is a mix of recipes from Morocco to Iran, but listed by courses/main ingredients, rather than by their origin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Middle Eastern food bible, 16 April 2009
My Mother bought this book for me when I moved to Saudi Arabia in 1995 - it has been the only Middle Eastern cookbook I have ever needed. The meatballs in tomato sauce is a wonderful recipe that I have made countless time. Lentil soup is simply delicious. There are too many fabulous recipes to list. Claudia Roden is a food historian and the food we now think of as Middle Eastern is actually Lebanese which although delicious is not the only cuisine. This book gives many alternatives per recipe so you can try all the regional variations. There are no pictures but her instructions are explicit and the anecdotes define a byegone age.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for body, mind and soul, 20 July 2005
Love of food, encyclopaedic of knowledge and matchless experience shine from every page where anectode, personal and apocryphal, share space with evocative, irresistible recipes. A book to be enjoyed for the love of cooking and reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just delicious, 24 May 2011
T. Deegan (UK) - See all my reviews
I was a newcomer to mediterranean cuisine really until I bought this book. Best money on a recipe book I ever spent, by a country mile. Just wonderful, recipes from all over, from one who really knows and has been there and has been cooking the dishes ever since!
And although a small thing, I think the small anecdotes from things like the Exploits of the Incomparable Mullah Nasrudin add a hilarious little touch of authenticity.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 27 Feb 2014
It is an interesting book with a lot of recipes I've never attempted. Would have got 5 stars if there were pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great cookbook, 23 Nov 2013
J GILMOUR (Slough, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Apart from the fantastic recipes this is a really interesting book. It is full of little stories and ancient middle-eastern tales. I have spent ages reading through it, almost like a novel. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars new book of middle eastern food, 8 Oct 2013
claudia roden's books are always a joy. if you love middle eastern food, her recipes are wide ranging and reliable as well as being delicious. not only are the recipes temptin g but the history of the whole middle east is there, both informative and atmospheric.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious book, 30 Sep 2013
Greenky (norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an updated copy of an old favourite of mine and it doesn't disappoint. Lovely to have a hardback too. I am a fan of Claudia Roden's cookery books

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Sep 2013
Not just a recipe book, but also an interesting insight into the history of this region. The recipes are presented simply and clearly, and they work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would never be without it!, 9 Sep 2013
This was a perfect gift to pass on the Arabic heritage of cooking to my daughter-in-law and her friend for her wedding. I bought this book 30 years ago and may I add it has helped, guided and enhanced my culinary expertise nearly daily throughout my marriage to produce meals for my Egyptian husband, family and friends. I consider it one of the most valuable, instructive, informative, pleasurable cookery books to read. I have recommended it many times. I also treasure the fact that it was the first cookery book I found on Arabic cooking giving 'old' versions of recipes and not tweaked here and there to fit into the modern way of cooking.

A New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Cookery Library)
A New Book of Middle Eastern Food (Cookery Library) by Claudia Roden (Paperback - 30 Oct 1986)
17.00