4.0 out of 5 stars A classic lifesaver for all impoverished students
Published on 16 May 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars If only it had an index
The publisher has, unbelievably, omitted the index, making it hard to find a recipe. This completely ruins this reprint unless you only want to use it as a nostalgic read, not the practical cookbook which of course it is.
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic lifesaver for all impoverished students, 16 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cooking in a Bedsitter (Paperback)
This little cookery book was first published, I believe, in the early 70's and as a non cooking person it was absolutely vital to my survival as a student. It's basic, in simple english, and assumes you know nothing. Everything can be cooked on a single ring and there is no need for a huge larder and/or freezer to back up the recipes, and yet the meals are interesting and tasty. With so many of us not receiving 'cookery' lessons at school any more and a greater dependence on pre-prepared food, this little book is a godsend for anyone wanting to learn how to 'do it yourself'. Oh yes, and I still have my battered, gravy stained copy!

2.0 out of 5 stars If only it had an index, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem for beginners and anyone on a tight budget, 12 Feb 2009
Ms. V. Stowe "vickyonstage" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)
This is the book I took to college in 1973 and it taught me to cook on a very small budget and limited equipment. It still sits on my kitchen shelf and is used regularly even though it's now falling apart. I have been checking regularly over the last few years for a re-issue so that I can replace it. I have also bought it for my 22yr old niece who's just moved into her own place and who never learned to cook and another friend recently mentioned that it was her first cookbook too. Creole Sausage is one of my favourites as is fish spaghetti and I use the Ratatouille recipe all the time. This little book assumes that you do not have a vast store of speciality ingredients or clever cooking gadgets and provides tasty, nourishing meals from basic ingredients. Well recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, 5 Sep 2005
Phil (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
I purchased a 1968 edition in a second hand book shop in Fremntle Western Australia for some ideas for some quick receipes at home. Little did I know that I would be taking it away in my caravan for a trip to Darwin and back.
I found this book excelent for use in the caravan as your traveling most of the time and cannot have too much food in the fridge.
It look like I now need another copy one for the caravan(then I will not forget to take with me) and one for home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still useful after over 20 years, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)
I first encountered this book over 20 years ago when I was a student - and it was over 20 years old then! I've never lived in that kind of bedsitter but when you're sharing a kitchen with a horde of other students, only taking up one ring of the cooker helps. Today I live alone and recipes for one are still a vital need. There are a lot of us! - a point recognised by Delia Smith when she did a whole TV series and book called "One is fun" - but this book contains simpler more practical recipes. Some are even quite improbable - the fricassee of veal sounds very weird but trust me, it's quick and surprisingly tasty even done with beef mince! I'm still trying new ones. Just this weekend I tried the lamb rissoles, which were a definite success, as I happened to have some leftover diced lamb. (Hint: buy a Kenwood mini chopper as recommended by Delia. For recipes like that it cuts out an incredible amount of work as most of it is mincing/chopping the ingredients.)

Highly recommended for anyone needing ideas on cooking for one.

Why does the Product Description refer to Whitehorn's autobiography? This is a cookbook, not her autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book my father bought us all when we left home, 11 April 2009
This review is from: Cooking in a Bedsitter (Penguin Handbooks) (Paperback)
An excellent book of easy, mainly one pot dishes. With advice for basic budget meals for yourself to entertaining others (always fix your hair before the potatoes, you can excuse yourself to see to the potatoes...). Being the oldest in the family I inherited the 1960's edition that was my father's, my sisters own more updated copies. It is a treasure that I will purchase copies of to send away with my own children when they fly the nest, although at 10 the youngest has already made the spag bol during our family "come dine with me competition" - he won!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best how to cook book. Take it from an italian., 24 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cooking in a Bedsitter (Paperback)
This little book taught me how to cook when I was actually living in a bed-sit as an art student in London in the 70s. I still use it. All recipes and cooking hints are ace. Buy it, you'd love it- You or your guests won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars cooking in a bedsit, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)
I learnt to cook from this book 30 years ago and bought it for my nephew going to university. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book as useful today as when I read it when I was young, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was young and lived in a bedsitter. So delighted to buy it again as a way ofremembering thpast. But fund I was usingthe recipes! Easy fail safe receipes especially the chicken dishes to impress - I'd recommend the book to almost anyone wanting to have a decent meal but unwilling to spendhours inm the kitchen

4.0 out of 5 stars A student essential, 17 Oct 2008
Dr. D. M. Jennings "dmj1962" (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking In A Bedsitter (Paperback)
This book taught me how to cook. Although the age of the old-fashioned bedsit she describes has virtually disappeared, the issues - how to cook if you've no idea where to start, what utensils to use and what ingredients to buy - remain as true for today's students as they ever were.

Whitehorn's approach is forthright, immensely practical and dished up with bags of humour. She demystifies what for so many is a terrifying and intimidating art. Admittedly, some of the dishes are pretty unappetising, but her encouragement to focus on foolproof casseroles has certainly served me well.

Cooking in a Bedsitter (Penguin Handbooks)
Cooking in a Bedsitter (Penguin Handbooks) by Katharine Whitehorn (Paperback - 30 Sep 1982)
Used & New from: 0.01