5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook money can buy!
Published on 28 Oct. 2008 by ELKV

3.0 out of 5 stars Great strengths but also weaknesses
Published on 20 Feb. 2012 by Peasant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook money can buy!, 28 Oct. 2008
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
My mother in law has a very old copy of this book and my husband raved on and on and on and on...... about it. After finally finding our own copy I gave it a look and fell in love with it's simplicity. We are now the proud owners of three!!!! copies, and the newest is an amalgam of the previous two. However, there are some notable abscences eg Irish Tea Brack and Ginger Bread Men. It's the kind of book which although it gives you a recipe to follow gives you the confidence to alter the ingredients to fit what you have in the cupboards. Thank you Jocasta Innes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing & Nourishing, 15 April 2003
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
This book exemplifies the requriements of a non-cook and gives valuable advice on not only what to cook, how to cook it but with what to cook it and what is required to cook it in! A recent (ancient) review described it as the essential item for a 1st year Uni student, existing on minimal means, who needs to eat to survive. Stuff the 1st year Uni person - it's real life!!
From my own experience I can reccomend the curried lentil soup and the most amazing 'padding' of toad in the hole et al.
A must for all who need to survive on a shoestring although, sadly, there is no advice on how to cook that item!!
Together with Hamlins All Colour Cook Book you need noting else to eat, give great dinner parties and live on a limited budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pauper's Cookbook, 6 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
This is the cookbook that my mother taught herself to cook with in the 1970s and that she gave to me when I left home. It is such a wonderful book--it teaches how to cook really good food without using any junk, tricky ingredients or waste. Everything I have ever made from it has been delicious and despite having a large collection of cookbooks, this is still my favourite. When I got my first Le Creuset pot its inaugural use was to make Flemish Beef Stew which was superb. And whilst the recipes are wonderful, the best thing about The Pauper's Cookbook is the way Jocasta Innes seems to talk directly to you as you cook. I often find myself chuckling as I read. Sheer delight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab food for the frugal cook but bad indexing, 9 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
An excellent cookbook. Worth buying for the Onion, Bacon and Potato Hotpot alone which a previous reviewer mentioned. The dish of herring roes and peas is also delicious, as is Alsation Onion Tart and Keema Matar.

It should be noted however, that this is not the original 1971 edition. Nor is it the 1992 edition The New Pauper's Cookbook. It is best described as an amalgam of the two books. I never saw the first book but I loved the second one and am even more delighted with this one, which seems to have all the recipes from the second book plus some wonderful offaly dishes from the original book.

I couldn't find the recipe for Flemish beef mentioned by another reviewer. This may be because it was in the earlier edition or it may be due to the book's one flaw - the index. I have never come across such an unhelpful index. I turned to it to look up an apple recipe to find that there were no entries listed for 'a' at all. I had to trawl through 'puddings' instead, and that wasn't very helpful, only listing recipes alphabetically by title not ingredient as well. Good indexes are vital in cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars puapers cook book, 7 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
I first purchased this book as a student over thirty years ago. It is packed with delicious and nourishing recipes at very affordable prices. This book has been used so many times since that a new one was required. Superb cookbook for anyone on a tight budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used and loved, 28 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
I ordered this book because my old copy, dating from the 1970's, had fallen to bits and the individual bits were breaking up as well. This is a wonderful book and I am delighted to find all my old favourites in it together with some exiting new content. It is very helpfully sorted in catagories such as every day basics, Padding and a section to aid fancy entertaining on a budget.The Paupers Cookbook

5.0 out of 5 stars The Paupers Cookbook by Jocasta Innes, 22 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought the 1st edition of this book in 1971 and fed my 3 growing boys, plus countless unexpected hordes of visitors to our remote farmhouse!
It is still my favourite cookbook and I invested in the lastest version when my original copy finally fell apart! I expect to feed my 5 grandchildren with some of these tried and tested recipes over Xmas 2009!
Jocasta's Fish Pie has been a top favourite over the last 30 years - it never lets me down!!
Poor or not, this book could well be the only cookbook you will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is still in print? Wonderful!, 2 Sept. 2009
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
I've had my copy of this book for well over twenty years now, it's much-thumbed with yellowing pages and interesting stains from various ingredients. Having just posted a negative review of India Knight's The Thrift Book I wondered if this infinitely superior guide to economising was still in print. And it is! Many of the recipes in this book have become family favourites. I particularly recommend the bacon, onion and apple fry-up which works well with sausages too. (Fry bacon, chopped apple and onion together. That's it. Delicious.)

This is a book which would make a great gift for anyone wanting to move away from convenience foods and into 'real cooking' but who isn't sure to go about it. The food in these pages is economical but above all it is TASTY. It's food that won't drive you nuts as you prepare it, using straightforward methods and equipment. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY?, 11 May 2009
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
I learned to cook with this wonderful book in the 1970s, and have ordered again as mine fell to bits several house moves ago!
I turn back to many of the basic and always great-tasting recipes - and calming advice - even now, when I'm quite an experienced cook and entertainer.
Longing to revisit Flemish Beer Stew - one of the great staples when in funds - ie when grant cheque appeared! Happy Days... we actually had student grants.
Buy and love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great strengths but also weaknesses, 20 Feb. 2012
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Pauper's Cookbook (Paperback)
Lets get one thing clear; this isn't a book on how to live on next to nothing. It doesn't have 143 clever things to do with budget mince. It's a stimulating book on how to eat very well without lashing out on lamb chops or steak every night. If you like entertaining, but have limited money, this book is ideal, as it has lots of interesting and unusual recipes using modestly-priced ingredients. If you want something cheap and quick to throw at the kids after school, look elsewhere. Like the curate's egg, this book is excellent in parts. Other reviewers have pointed out the problems with the index.

Unfamiliar and delicious peasant dishes from Europe such as Cocido Estremeno sit close to British traditional staples such as Pease Pudding, and are interspersed with dishes from India and the Far East. This is a weakness; we now expect our ethnic dishes to be more authentic than we did in 1971, and the oriental recipes read like watered-down versions of the original. People who want to cook the authentic and fairly demanding European regional cuisine won't also want to knock up a bland imitation of something from the take-away.

Recipes are arranged not by course or ingredient, but listed as "standards, padding, fast work, pasta faster, veggies, fancy work and private enterprise". This attempt at wit falls flat and is just confusing; it isn't that easy to find a suitable recipe. There is an index but it isn't reliable for finding recipes for specific ingredients; if you've acquired a crab, you won't know that the "Partan Pie" listed under fish in the index is a very nice recipe for making baked crab go further.

Other quibbles; no pictures (sometimes it's handy to know what a dish is supposed to look like, photo's are not just window dressing), and the Frances Lincoln reprint won't lie flat, so you'll have to either copy out the recipe or accept that the pages will get very mucky.

This book is still well worth having on the shelf if you're an adventurous but impecunious cook in search of good ideas. It would have been a far more useful book if the recipes for staples like rice pudding or basic white sauce had been left out, and more space had been given to the author's chatty and engaging background material and advice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Pauper's Cookbook
The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes (Paperback - 24 Jun. 1971)
Used & New from: £0.01