5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and Friendly Philosophy from Plato, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
If you are new to philosophy or Plato, or indeed a seasoned and erudite reader, then you really should read and own a copy of this book. Plato is a delight to read (far easier to read than Aristotle, for example), the book being a Socratic dialogue set out very much like the dialogue of a play. I found the ideas and ideologies presented within this book profound and breath-taking, especially given how long ago the original text was written. An absolutely essential read about justice, society and the self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different translations can make all the difference, 30 April 2012
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I read this translation originally, but I lost my copy and decided to replace it with a nicer-looking hardback copy (The Republic: The Influential Classic (Capstone Classics)). I didn't know what all the fuss was about over different translations... but I quickly found out! The hardback I bought was a translation by Tom Butler-Bowdon and I hated it. I would read a paragraph and then wonder what on earth I'd just read. Somehow, the words just felt unnatural and it was difficult to take in. At first I thought it was because I was tired, but then I realised it was the translation.

This paperback version (translated by Desmond Lee) is, by contrast, wonderful So smooth and easy to take in. After a few days of frustration with the hardback, I ditched it and bought the Lee translation again. I love this book. It has been a favorite of mine for years. I'm so glad to have my old friendly version back again. It turns out the translation makes all the difference.

It's a shame about the hardback. I really liked the way it looked on my shelf, but the old cliché is true: you can't judge a book by its cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Today, 17 April 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I first read this important work in my teens, and I find it even more relevant to today. Although we tend to think of Ancient Philosophers as dull and unconnected with our National life, I recommend this book to the young of today and to older people who might not have had time to tackle it. The book is not like ploughing a wet field, it is much lighter and full of wisdom that is kindly put. In this accessible translation one is led into the realm of thoughtfulness and (dare one say) a spiritual world. Yes, please read it and then keep it by one for a wait in a doctor's surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product - Would do business with again, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Fantastic read, covers the Republic Critique effortlessly. Great aid and easy reading. Would definitely recommend this book. Definitely Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming and unalienable 2 500 years of cultural influence!, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Undoubtedly this must be one of the most beautiful books that have ever been written in the history of European literature. Pure philosophy without philosophising... if you know what I mean... The language is simple and straightforward. Concepts are laid out beautifully. Problems and questions are eternally valid and universal. All of them the truths of life. All about being, wanting to be and not giving up; only at some level the questions Plato asks are political questions.
If, once youve read the book, you are one of the lucky (unlucky?) ones for whom the Republic has become the life changing Monumentum then you will most likely be taken on a journey into the cave, deep and dark, and if among that darkness you see the light of Idea, as Plato imagined it, you will either come out of that cave as a different man or nover come out at all.

I read this book for the first time when I was 15 or 16 years old, probably much too early not to understand the power of Idea... my heart was still pure, mind naive, the Idea was irresistible and it had stolen my heart for ever... what it did to me cannot be described...

Read it! Read it! But read it to your Sons and Daughters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good modernisation, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This book has a very modern feel despite the text being around 2500 years old. I like the translation, the choice of words feel more correct, I think it corresponds more to our modern time. I especially like the introduction, outlining every point in the book. There are notes and elaborations along the way, explaining and guiding you through the sometimes difficult arguments. The book itself is not very large, you can easily read it comfortably in one hand. I love the layout and picture on the front of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Being Greek I was fortunate enough to be able to read, many years ago,"The republic" in the original text.
This book,which conveys all of Plato's concepts and ideas in an impeccable way to the English speaking reader,deserves every praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent explanation of the text., 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
The author gives an explanation of the text at the beginning of each book. The explanations are clearly given and allow the reader to understand Plato without any problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent edition!, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Very good edition. Precise and distraction-less. Provides a very useful numbering of lines and a good introduction. I recommend this edition for academic purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Anyone who has a passion for classical civilisation should own this book. The book is made very easy to read.

The Republic (Penguin Classics)
The Republic (Penguin Classics) by Plato (Paperback - 31 May 2007)
6.29