5.0 out of 5 stars The ace who launched a thousand books
I will avoid hubris by not attempting to rate "the Odyssey" per se! My five stars are for the translation by E.V. Rieu in the Penguin Classics edition, updated by his son and Peter Jones to make it even more readable for the current generation. The transparent, joyful prose makes this a superb experience for child or adult. It doesn't read like a translation. There is no...
Published on 25 Nov. 2008 by William Shardlow

1.0 out of 5 stars Textual corruptions abound
NB. This is a review of the WILDSIDE PRESS edition of Pope's Odyssey.

Physically, this is a well-produced paperback, but whoever was responsible for the actual text at Wildside Press should hang their head in shame! It appears to have been copied from a hopelessly inaccurate edition circulating on the Internet and to have received no proofreading whatsoever...
Published on 29 Jan. 2010 by Timotheos

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple non-literary review of the odyssey...A great book to buy!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I'll be honest, my first experience of the basic story or the odyssey was watching 'Homer's Odyyssey' on the simpsons! But having seen a glimpse of the idea of the story when I was younger I vowed to one day read the real version. I'm glad I did and this penguin version in my opinion is the best way to get to understand the story whether you are into literature or not.

The odyssey is a poem and many translators have done excellent jobs of translating the text into English while keeping it a poem. However translating into a poem can not only sometimes lose some of the real story but can also alienate those who would like to know the story but can't deal with an epic poem. This is why this book is so great! The penguin version has been translated into a story, like reading a novel. This makes it incredibly easy to understand the plot and draws you so much more into the story.

The language used is also very easy to read and understand. Being a penguin book just like with wordsworth classics these books have little notes, whenever there's something that might not be understood by someone reading it they have added a helpful note, this makes reading it even easier. And when you are done with the story itself there is even to read at, where experts have added information (like the stuff you'd read if you were studying at school).

The story itself is very interesting, I won't give anything away and other reviewers have certainly added a lot about this but I will say that if you want to find out about this classic but aren't into the poetry aspect then this penguin version is definitely for you. I'd also recommend the illiad, written in the same format but set earlier, that book is every bit as readable as this one. The only hiccup in the story of the odyssey for me was right at the end. The ending seemed a bit off (the notes explain why) but I did feel a little dissatisfied by the ending, but that's just my personal opinion and doesn't change how great this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Odyssey by name, Odyssey by nature, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Homer's Odyssey can only be described in four simple words; a very good story. With a mixture of omnipotence from the gods, a story of love between man and wife, admiration between father and son and equally, the wise actions of dedicated men. The Odyssey follows Odysseus who, as a result of his own folly (and the will of a particular god who shall remain nameless) finds himself stranded on an island with a lovely goddess, ohh the hardship. BUT he isn't happy and longs for home and so, begins his journey. I shan't ruin all the story and instead say that the Odyssey is filled with wit, excitement, action and PLENTY of repitition.

The Odyssey is something which lead me to consider other pieces of ancient literature like Aristophanes and indeed, this interest has continued. I think that the Odyssey is a great example of a 'classic' in every sense of the word. Reading the Odyssey will not leave you disappointed and those who complain that since it was a set-text, they found it dull, should be ignored as I was in the same boat. Reading under duress will never be fun and so I recommend just trying the Odyssey. If you don't like it, ohh well and you've lost £10 (or, if you've abandoned paper copies you evil person!!) BUT if you like it, continue reading ancient literature; try the Iliad or Aeneid. The Odyssey is about a journey, read it and start your own!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for 55-year-old copy, 17 Jun. 2014
R. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I bought this E.V.Rieu translation back in 1959 as a Penguin Classic - it cost 3/6, the first paperback I ever bought! I thought it was about time I bought a replacement.

This is an account of one of the first great journeys of exploration in humanity's history, and it may even be true at its heart. It tells of the journey of Odysseus after the Trojan War, a story that is told in The Iliad. There have been films based on this story, but nothing can beat Rieu's complete translation.

This revised version is a slightly reworked translation by E.V. Rieu's son, D.C.H. Rieu. He has added a timeline to the adventure, a guide to the main characters, an index and a glossary so we can find our way around. This makes it much easier as a study piece.

Reads like a novel, rather than a history book. The English is beautifully written, the story is exciting, and this 3,000 year old adventure holds up well against anything Hollywood can throw at us. An older child who likes reading should be given this as a birthday or Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly perfect, 24 Dec. 2010
I've never read The Odyssey in English since my first language is French, and I was quite thrilled to hold the book in my hands at last : my parents gave it to me as a Christmas present.
The hardcover is beautiful, the waves pattern is utterly appropriate for such a great adventure story dealing with Seas, sailors and Poseidon of course. I immediately felt a sensation of luxury when I unwrapped the book, and the impression got confirmed when I opened it. It is so very beautiful, reading Homer in English is an incredible experience, and the very fine quality of the book makes it even more pleasant.
The only downside is that the ticket was directly put on the book, and it damaged it a little when I took it off the cover, removing some colour of the waves pattern.
Nonetheless a beautiful book I'm proud and happy to own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Great book with a great story. I thought it would be hard to understand but it uses fairly modern language and any unfamiliar words are explained at the bottom of the page.

4.0 out of 5 stars terrific writing- odd edition, 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Odyssey of Homer (Paperback)
Was glad to find an in print edition of this - and Pope's writing is as good as expected- but on the downside this is a rather poorly printed and unwieldy edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars The return of the voyager, 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Reading The Odyssey is like stepping back in time. Many of the greatest moments of the story will be familiar to modern readers, but it is still rewarding to read the poem in its entirety. I find it difficult to believe that the long, sprawling story could be the work of one man. It is a wonderful story, but the world it describes is so alien that the attitudes and actions of the characters can be surprising or baffling, although the poem's emotional resonance should be recognisable to any reader. We are all trying to get home.

4.0 out of 5 stars ..., 1 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
It is really quite phenomenal.
There are lots of name's to remember but once you get over that its incredible to read. Although Odysseus himself is actually a bit of a moaner, he does reflect the whole image of a Greek Hero. Homer is obviously very talented and the stories involved like that of the Cyclops are very clever. Sometimes he does go back on himself though- Homer will say something and suddenly contradict it, which is as confusing as it sounds.
Anyway, I would read this if i were you, it is a classic :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best book on earth, 21 Oct. 2013
Every story structure on earth.
A man trying to get home to his family.
War, gods, monsters.
Humour, drama, excitement.

I know this book so well it is virtually impossible to write a review. I try to read this once a year, for my own personal need, and every time I get something new from it. Read it... everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Portable Portfolio, 25 Aug. 2010
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Odyssey (Paperback)
Got my aunt the hardback of this translation (the TE Lawrence translation is the most readable version of "The Odyssey"), but it's quite heavy. So I bought her this lightweight version for when she's out and about. She's delighted - she can read the hardback in the garden and the paperback on the train!!
Besides, it was a bargain!

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

The Odyssey (Penguin Classics)
The Odyssey (Penguin Classics) by Homer (Paperback - 30 Jan. 2003)