5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of Russian literature, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Eugene Onegin is a classic which can be enjoyed by readers of Russian literature, or those who are new to the genre completely. Pushkin's style is fluent and filled with character, and reflections on Russian literature and culture; a style which is uniquely his own. The story appeals to all readers as it addresses those most fundamental of human emotions; love and jealousy, and their effects upon our lives. I would recommend this book to any fan of Pushkin's works, but also to anyone new to Russian literature; this is a perfect introduction which also discusses the culture and history of Russia. A fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous, 2 April 2008
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This is undoubtedly one (short but) marvelous exploration of love and jealousy. From the start I knew the story ended in tears but I could not prise myself from the grip of the narrator's clarity of voice and the poet's lyrical finesse. Yes, plot is non-existent but this is verse and not a novel and the reader must ingest the story as s/he rides the waves thrown by the meter's boisterous rhythm.

I was there with the central actors much like I had been where they were: keen-lite on an adoring lover but pining for some other who cared little if I existed. The poem is quick-witted, charming and clever. Normally I find poems much hard work to decipher but this reads like a story. Pushkin (Russia's greatest poet) deliciously serves up a timeless classic whilst discreetly slipping us tasteful hor'dourves from eighteenth century Russian glitterati. This was the book that established russian as a language fit for serious literature. I will never know how well this English translation does justice to the original but it's fine enough to show up how brilliant the original must have been.

Read it if you must pig out on fine literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars classic, 9 Jun. 2009
Conor Murphy "ronoc" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Don't bother reading any more of this, just buy the novel and enjoy it for yourself.
If you must know the main plus of this version of the classic is the retention of a suitable tone. You really get a sense of the original, something that is very rare in a translation.
Then there are the notes. A thorough, and straight forward, set of notes are of great help to those of us unfamiliar with the intricacies of Russian literature of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 19 Jan. 2014
I read this book after watching a movie on the story. One thing for sure is that James Falen did a perfect job on the translation of EUGENE ONEGIN. Much of the Russian nature of glows in this English translation, brining out the humor, wittiness, emotions, grief, sadness and vitality of the original story, which mirrored the Russian society at the time Pushkin lived.
The lessons from the story are strong. Never fight against somebody who is not out to hurt you even if you feel he hurt your pride. That was the case between Eugene and his friend and neighbor Vladimir Lensky, which ends tragically over a nonexistent rivalry over Olga Larin: Another lesson is to appreciate the genuine and selfless love of others for, especially when we are lost in life. That was the case of Olga's sister Tatiana, whom Eugene initially rejects, only to fall in love with her later at a time when she had lost faith in him and had committed herself to a man she did not love but respected. Pushkin himself could be seen in the writing. The loss of what we did not know we loved is the overriding theme in this book. In this direction, there are many lessons to learn from Russia .We can see that in UNION MOUJIK, WAR AND PEACE.I enjoyed reading this book, so if you are undecided about reading it, pick it up and do yourself a favor by knowing about this great work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 13 Jun. 2010
E. Dawson "Beetroot" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This is undoubtably my favourite book, and its inimitable style, its clarity, subtle humour and its imagery are but some of the qualities of Pushkin's fantastically fluent verse. My encomiums cannot be any warmer, although I could go on for a lot longer on the merits of this work.
Both of Penguin's translations are good, although Johnston's is a little less palatable (being older and thus seeming a little dated and harder to read), the new translation is good (and has a much better cover). And even if you are not used to Russian literature you will find this book surprisingly easy to read - the notes are very useful for the Russian terms and references. Personally, I think any of these two translations would be the best edition to buy when first choosing to read this book; Nabokov's, although being more literal, loses the rhythm and fluidity that the original verse possessed, and which the two Penguin translations attempt to retain.
I read this story over and over again yet I can never tire of it. It was this work that made me fall in love with poetry, and lead me on to other works, such as Byron and the rest of the Romantics (who Pushkin pays his tribute to), but I always retain that this work is the best I have ever read.
I hope you will gain some of my enthusiasm from my bias review and give it go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good version, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I had tried another translation but this was far preferable. It is easy to read, urbane and witty. In addition, the scholarly notes are thorough and helpful (though I am yet to read them all). I have no hesitation in recommending this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Thank you! Book arrived!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eugene Onegin, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I bought this book quite along time ago but I remember the quality of the book being excellent and it arriving within a week.
I really enjoyed this book though I found it quite hard to read as it was completely written in verse however I highly recommend this book as it truly is a lovely yet heartbreaking story. The quality of Pushkin's writing is so good that everyone should read it. Though people who don't like poetry will probably find it difficult to read, with it being in verse. I heard about this book through the film adaptation starring Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler I also recommend the film as it is a great film which I think does justice to the book.

Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics)
Eugene Onegin (Penguin Classics) by Alexander Pushkin (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.85