5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
I really think this translation is wonderful especially for those reading The Iliad for the first time. Although in prose it sticks with the meaning of the original Greek quite well and this prose approach would make it more interesting for the first time reader. The ideas and themes explored by Homer as well as the turn of events make this a fascinating and readable epic!
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Asma

3.0 out of 5 stars Home Sweet Homer
A truly good base for Western literature, Homer's Iliad reveals the two sides of battle and the battle the heroes must have faced in their heads. Very sad but very true, such is war.
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant novel, 4 May 2013
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
It's been a while since I read 'The Iliad' so my review might be a little patchy, and I won't be too heavy with the detail or specifics.

When I picked up 'The Iliad', I thought "this is going to be a challenge to get through!". The novel was rather long, and didn't exactly read quickly (in comparison to more modern novels). However, I was quickly intrigued in the story of this Homeric epic (Homepic?) and struggled to put the book down.

This book accommodates the needs of those who like a wide variety of topics: Greek mythology, ancient history, philosophy, classic novels, war books etc.

Strongly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars To be honest, hard work, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I feel even worse about this than The Odyssey but really I found this so unspeakably boring! I couldn't finish the thing but I did later read most of the end for study purposes. The language really did not work for me and somehow I didn't relate to any of the characters, no matter how awful their predicaments. Also, the amout of repetition, listings and interruptions in the narrative in order to go off at inappropriate and boring tangents made the whole experience worse for me. In the end I just didn't care for it but it is Homer and there is worse due to the historical interest and so I am giving it two stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Not completely read yet, but so far so many comparisons with today's life. Recommend to all who are concerned with 'society'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good traduction!!, 23 Mar 2012
Denise Fallon - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
It's very well written considering it's a very difficult piece of literature.
Comes with an introduction and everything!!
The only flaw is that the ending is a bit o a letdown :( ...
But if you like adventure... THAT'S THE BOOK FOR YOU!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
A very enjoyable book. Dealing with the anger of Achilles and his refusal to battle, as well as "Glorious Hector" and his inspirational battle prowess really is a breath of fresh air. Whether you're interested in the fictionalised conquest of Troy, or just after something a little different, I would highly recommend. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Achilles, the Real Story, 9 May 2010
Cicero "johop" (Fort William, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
The classical poem by Homer telling of a short part of the Trojan war and the rift between Achilles, leader of the Myrmidons, and Agamemmnon, the "King of Kings", and how outthe gods also affect the outcomes. It ends with the death of Hektor and Achilles final return of Hektor's body to his father, King Priam of Troy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
Hard work to understand any of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Best translation, 23 July 2010
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I loved this book. Not least because the translation was really well done. Also was surprised to find that the Greeks dont actually sack Troy and Achilles doesnt actually die in this book. A wonderful tragedy which was a great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars displeased, 19 July 2011
This review is from: homer the iliad (Paperback)
Product does not match the picture shown above, i am looking for specific copies and this one is not the same. Its spine has had some battering about and there are several marks n the cover where it has been bent and scratched. Fair enough it was cheap but it wasnt what i asked for.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Iliad, Homer's book, paperback on sale, Penguin Classic, a book to read....., 21 Oct 2010
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Iliad (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I bought this in 1982 having won an academic prize in my final year at Uni. I studied Engineering and as the prize was a book token thought I had better get something intellectual or classic to read.

Twenty eight years later I have finally got round to reading it! One of the other reviewers made the comment that 'you've got to want to read this book' and I couldn't agree more! Basically it is okay as a story but in truth not much happens other than some sulking and fighting which is looked over by the Gods. It doesn't have much imagery other than the deaths of the combatants, of which we are told about hundreds - all of them seeming to have the rattle of armour and night descending over their eyes.

What I found really annoying is:

The repetition e.g. Zeus would tell Athene to go and do something to someone in some detail. When she arrived at the place to do the deed she then tells the person the exact same thing verbatim as told to her by Zeus. The book need only be about ten pages long in reality.

The many names for one God or place - e.g. Troy = Ilium = City of Priam and all three are used. Zeus is Father Zeus, Son of Cronos, Lord of the Black Cloud, God of Ida (Olympus), the Thinker, the Cloud Compeller etc and we are treated to a description of him and all the other main characters each time, which is tedious and confusing - although eventually I did get used to it.

If you are a schoolboy reading this then there's some excellent schoolboy humour in it which did make me smile e.g. 'Hector of the flashing helmet' and the simply wonderful '...the Trojan companies bore down upon him with Hector in their van'.

The ending was a bit rubbish too.

Anyway I am glad I have read it as it was quite a good education for the history of the Greeks and Trojans, though whether or not I am going to read the Aeneid or the Odyssey I doubt very much!!

The Iliad (Penguin Classics)
The Iliad (Penguin Classics) by Homer (Paperback - 30 Jan 2003)