5.0 out of 5 stars First rate drama
For anyone who doesn't know Chekhov, I recommend you get acquainted with his work immediately. His short stories are superb, and his five plays are masterpieces of theatre. It is such a shame that he died when he was only 44 - like Mozart, you really wonder what on earth he would have produced by the time he was 60.

As always with Chekhov, I am amazed at the...
Published on 29 Oct 2007 by molondas

I received my book on time and was pleased with the content of the book. However after I had started reading it a few days later, the spine broke and now the pages have started to fall out. I am not happy with this because I need to study my A Level in theatre studies.
Published 2 months ago by mariella

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate drama, 29 Oct 2007
This review is from: Plays: "Ivanov", "The Seagull", "Uncle Vanya", "Three Sisters", "The Cherry Orchard" (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)

As always with Chekhov, I am amazed at the fact he is able to create tension and high drama from absolutely nothing - boredom, loss of zest for life, inability to move on, hopeless incompetence, arrogance, etc etc. Characters are absolutely pared down to the minimum necessary to dissect a psychological state, atmosphere, general state of affairs etc., and the language is an exercise in economy - it functions only as a vehicle for creating dramatic effect. If the penguin translation is faithful, then there is little, if any, superfluous imagery, and nothing that digresses from the function of each moment of dramatic intensity.

The tone and themes of each play - as with his short stories - are always ambiguous: bittersweet, tragicomic, sad and joyful, generosity and miserliness, adultery vs sterile faithfulness etc. In this lack of commitment to a stable reality Chekhov was well ahead of his time and it is easy to see how his plays have exerted such an influence on the development of the modern play.

5.0 out of 5 stars five by Chekhov, 31 Mar 2005
I re-read Chekhov - the stories as well as these plays - regularly. These recent translations are as good as, if not better, than any I`ve read, even the superb, natural-sounding ones by Frayn. This book benefits too from a masterly, uncompromising and authoritative introduction by Carson.
I find new things in The Seagull, Three Sisters, etc every time
I renew my acquaintance with them. The Seagull is a limpid, sad comedy with - as one could say of all Chekhov - a deceptively tough core. Uncle Vanya (his `easiest` play to approach at first?) is one to fall in love with; Three Sisters is a world masterpiece...oh, I could go on about this amazing man. He was a great influence on the precise, humane Raymond Carver, which I think is a testament to both writers.
I believe Chekhov to be perhaps the most important writer since Shakespeare. Like the latter, he invariably keeps himself, and his writer`s ego, out of his writing - unlike, say, Shaw.
Nothing can beat seeing a good, un-reverent performance of these aching-to-be-acted plays, but this is a fine collection to add to one`s library.
Incidentally, I am tired now of finding reviews on Amazon which are talking about books other than the one under review. My predecessor here is reviewing the Frayn versions. Why does this keep happening, usually with translated literature? Get with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic, 1 Sep 2011
I'm not entirely sure the translation stands up as well as Stoppard's no nonsense versions which are slightly more contemporary but this Penguin classic has a charm which is fitting with Chekhov's writing and this is great to have as a collection as opposed to buying each play individually.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educating myself, 16 Feb 2011
I'll admit it is taking me a while to read but luckily you can do this over a period of time (not too long). I think it is a book that I will go back to and read again just to see if I can find another way of understanding some opinions of the characters.

Overall I'm glad I've read it and bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anton Chekhov Plays - A Review by Barry Van-Asten, 2 Mar 2014
Mr. B. P. Van-asten (London, England.) - See all my reviews
The Russian story writer and playwright, Anton Chekhov (1860-1904) became very successful as a dramatist and his influence has had a lasting effect upon the English stage. His first successful play was ‘Ivanov’ (1887), but it is his later plays which secured his immortality: ‘The Seagull’ (1895), ‘Uncle Vanya’ (1900), ‘Three Sisters’ (1901) and ‘The Cherry Orchard’ (1904). Chekhov’s wonderful thought-provoking plays are heavy with symbolism and naturalism and they are rich in subtle sympathetic characterisation, which often portrays the ‘idle rich’ in comic, tragic and tender moments. Delightful!

2.0 out of 5 stars I received my book on time and was pleased with the content of the book, 22 Sep 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Chekov - Plays (Penguin Classics), 27 Mar 2009
I purchased this book, in preparation for drama school and in the end I didn't use it, but for anyone who does or doesn't know Chekov, these are some of his finest plays, my favorite being 'The Seagull'. It has some great biographical information about Chekov himself and the history of Russia at the time when he was writing and some of his lovely personal quotes. I was very inspired while reading this book. I hope you enjoy it and yes, I would highly recommend it, to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Mar 2013
Always loved Chekhov. All plays are great, I especially liked the Seagull. A lot of symbolism and metaphors to unravel. Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Feb 2013
james wray (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Love to read plays and I loved reading these, was not disappointed at all, and in great condition so can't complain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 1 Aug 2014