5.0 out of 5 stars A Giant in Political Thought
Few minds have stood the test of time as much as Aristotle's has. One of the greatest philosophers that have ever lived, he sets out to explain and analyse the political processes of his times in the classic treatise we know simply as "Politics".

Published on 6 Aug 2011 by Antonis

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!
I purhcased this book my accident and cancelled the order seconds later only to be told that I was too late in cancelling and that the book had already been sent out. This wasnt the case as the book wasnt dispatched for a further 48 hours.
Published 1 month ago by gavin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Giant in Political Thought, 6 Aug 2011

Reading Politics today brings out the ever-lasting debates of political association to the surface. Aristotle seeks out to explain the ideal constitution by examining the already existing constitutions of ancient Greece. He divides them into oligarchy, aristocracy, democracy, constitutional government (polity), royalty and tyranny, emphasizing the need of specific constitutions for specific people. It is often argued that Western political philosophy is the everlasting debate between Plato and Aristotle - between the idea of a universal ideal political system and the counter-argument of the need of different political systems associated with different social and cultural factors and already existing political systems.

Aristotle's analysis puts forward ideas that were examined in detail again only during and after the Enlightenment period. One will find ideas such as the tyranny of the majority, the connection between the rise of revolutionary activity and the rise of poverty, and the need of a strong middle class to maintain social and political stability, being traced back to Aristotle and this specific text. The significance of Aristotle's work is enormous, for this, together with Plato's Republic, is the true basis of all Western political philosophy.

Some things found in the Politics are of course very outdated. For example, Aristotle's views on women, slavery and marriage are well out of our times, while the discussion on education would probably be more important to historians rather than any other social scientist.

In conclusion, Politics is an essential and rewarding text to read if one is interested in political philosophy. The Oxford edition is a great edition, offering extended explanatory notes throughout the text. I would advice reading Politics as a follow-up to Plato's Republic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort..., 23 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Politics (Classics) (Paperback)
Aristotle was an important thinker, born in 384 BCE at Stagirus (a Greek colony), who is considered by many the founder of the realist tradition in Philosophy. He wrote many noteworthy books, among which "The Politics" stands out. "The Politics" is one of the first books I read at university, and even though it took me a lot of time to read it, I ended up being grateful to the professor that included it as obligatory reading material for History of Political Ideas I :)
In "The Politics", the author begins by analyzing the human being, that is in his opinion a political animal by nature. Afterwards, he explains what are, for him, the origins of the polis: family, small village and then, polis. Aristotle says that even though the polis is the last chronologically, it is all the same the most important, because it is autarchic. The polis (not exactly like our states, but similar to them in some aspects) is a natural community, because it answers to something that human beings need. Only in the polis will men find perfection, only there will they be completely human. Aristotle distinguishes between citizens and non-citizens (the vast majority), and points out that only citizens have political rights. The author delves in many other themes, for example the causes of revolution, the good and bad forms of government, and the "ideal" form of government. What is more, he also considers several constitutions, and talks about the adequate education that forms good citizens for the polis.
Now, why should you read a book that was written many centuries ago and that on top of that isn't especially easy to read?. The answer is quite simple: "The Politics" is worth it. Of course, you will find faults in some of Aristotle's opinions (for instance, he thought that slaves were "live property", and that slavery was a natural institution), but you cannot ignore that most of his book is as relevant today as it was when he wrote it. "The Politics" is a book that teaches the reader to analyze reality, and to watch things differently, from another perspective. It also mentions several times that it is always necessary to take into account the context, because there are not perfect solutions good for every circumstance. Even though that seems merely common sense, it is an often forgotten truth...
On the whole, I can recommend this book to all those who are interested in Political Science, History of Ideas, or simply curious. I can guarantee that if you are patient enough to end it, you will learn a lot.
Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars The Politics, 20 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Politics (Classics) (Paperback)
I'm not a philosopher or philosophy student, but I like The Politics a lot -- some of it. I think what I find boring in the book is what Aristotle found most interesting: the analysis of different types of constitution, which was best, the flaws of each and so on. To my pragmatic mind this seems a strange interest. You live under a certain constitution, and it has flaws and benefits to a greater or lesser degree, and that's it! What does it matter that another constitution is better or worse; or that one can imagine a better or worse constitution! I must say that Aristotle's obsession with the mean seems bonkers to me. "The law is the mean" seems more helpful to me than his application of this idea to ethics. He must have been a passionate man, subject to violent extremes of behaviour.
Aside from this idee fixe -- the doomed philosophical wish to regulate human behaviour -- Aristotle seems immensely sensible. I love his characterisation of wealth as a tool, or the comment that an official becomes worthy of respect when they become an official (which applies to royalty too), or the comment that the drawback of communal ownership is that people take less care of things owned by many people than things they own themselves, or the comment that it s pleasant to have money because only then can we make a gift of it. Aristotle seems much more aware of human nature than Plato is, although I enjoy The Republic, not as a practical plan of a state but as an immense artistic creation, like a novel or a play, or (because of the depth of the thought) like an author's whole oeuvre: Shakespeare or Dickens or Henry James.
My favourite part of The Politics is the last two books, on education. It's astonishing to learn of the importance the Greeks attached to music. When did music become a pastime for us? Although reading these last two books I have the persistent thought that civilisation has declined, and that we live like visitors to a clockwork shop, surrounded by useless technical marvels which we look at with glazed eyes. The Benthamite view of education (it's necessary for the economy) or art (it's useful for the economy) make me weep when they are put beside Aristotle's notion of education as work itself, and his idea that you need to learn precisely *for* leisure (how cheap our notion of leisure is beside this!) "But to be constantly asking 'What is the use of?' is unbecoming to those of superior mentality and free birth" -- this might profitably be disseminated in our society.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: The Politics (Classics) (Paperback)
The seller told me it was easier to return the book rather than them cancel the sale, which given the cost of postage it isnt worth your while returning it and they keep their sale. In short I would never purchase from this company again, the book isnt of great quality and they lied on more than one occasion. Avoid if you can!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one., 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Politics (Classics) (Paperback)
It was for a guest from KSA and he is very happy with this book.He is enjoying it and is great full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Service with High Quality, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Politics (Classics) (Paperback)
You really impressed me in two respects: First, the service you do is remarkable in the sense that I can just wait at my door for getting the book I ordered. It really deserves appreciation. Second, the compatibility of the quality of the product you shown in the web and the product I receive. This always surprised me as a regular customer of Amazon. I never feel am cheated; on the contrary,many a time I feel, am blessed.
Indeed, it would be highly appreciated if you can show up whether or not the shipping is free or chargable. To my surprise, sometimes, the shipping cost exceeds the price of books! It is difficult to digest for a philosopher! Aristole, the author of Politics, cannot, in any way, tolerate it. It's for fun.
Thank you for your wonderful service.

The Politics (Classics)
The Politics (Classics) by Aristotle (Paperback - 31 Dec 2000)
7.02