5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking wonderment
Sir Thomas More's Utopia is a hugely ambiguous, evocative and thought provoking book. It relays a conversation between Thomas More and Raphael Hythloday, who tells the story of a kingdom he has recently spent a number of years living in, Utopia. Raphael gives the details of this nation, a natiion where everyone is equal, where they all wear the same clothes, there is no...
Published on 30 Mar 2007 by Stev White

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic read
Well I struggled through just to prove to myself that I could read something that has been so revered. Did I enjoy it? No. But it threw up some interesting concepts which with tweaking could prove useful in improving how we all live today.
Published 12 months ago by Miss Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Utopia, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Utopia: Thomas More (Paperback)
excellent book. I had already read it but the friend I boguht it for loves it too No more to say

4.0 out of 5 stars A good clean version of the text, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Utopia (Paperback)
I read this for a class and it was a very good read. If you make it to the second half it gets quite fascinating - although I decided I'd rather not live in "Utopia". (The first half is pretty dull and half the time I couldn't tell who was speaking.)
This version of the text is nice and clean, not a scholarly edition, I suppose, because of its lack of footnotes. I regretted the lack of footnotes eventually, but whilst reading it, their absence made the page less distracting.
It's a thin, light copy - good to carry around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utopia Classic and Free, 19 May 2012
This review is from: Utopia (Kindle Edition)
New to Kindle App on my laptop, I started off with free books, to see how it worked for me. Utopia written by Thomas Moore in 1516, is really a critque of people of his own time, a book that has influenced much of society. The tale is based around a imaginery character called Raphael Hythloday, whom Moore meets and who tells him about his travels to a distant place called Utopia, and it is this that Moore bases his book on.

The community of Utopia is based on the idea that everything is shared, both social and political. There is no private wealth, and everything is shared, so all men and woman capable of working, must contribute to the community, by doing their fair share of work. Those that will not work, yet are capable are punished. The idea is one of sharing and exchanging items to make sure everyone has what they need to live simply. There is no money within Utopia.
There is an equality of men and woman and the opportunity to educate themselves, People are allowed to worship any religion, all of them are equal in Utopia. Utopia is a democratic and equal society, where everyone can grow, both mentally and as a community, working together.
In many ways the book Utopia opened peoples eyes to new ideas and ways of working together.

This book deserves to be read, I defiantly reccomend it....

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Utopia (Paperback)
Reminded why I loved this book though its a wordy piece but inspiring and thought provoking. Recommended for any budding politics student.

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic read, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Utopia (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars gift, 22 Sep 2013
my son asked for this as a gift he enjoyed it and wanted this book as it was the original book face

5.0 out of 5 stars Help to understand the world power games, 2 Jun 2013
If you like to read on politics and philosophy, this is a must. You'll understand why Stalin liked him and also why the Church made him a Saint. But you will need also to read the other classics in this area (Descartes, Rousseau, Machiavelli, etc, etc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Plato Meets Marx, 2 Feb 2013
I saw the Penguin: Great Ideas copy in the shop and thought it might have been an abridged copy. I mean, it's not a long book, but the Great Ideas copy seemed too small. It wasn't, or, at least, I don't think it was.
The translation was a bit anachronistic for the 16th century - words used like 'capitalism' didn't emerge until later. There were a few minor spelling and grammar errors here and there, but not many.
The story itself was good, I thought. It read more like a philosophical text than I thought it would - like a Socratic dialogue than a fictional novel. More seems to criticise the establishment, but then quickly make amends for it (probably so he wouldn't be beheaded!). It seems to me more of a mix between Plato's "Republic" and Marx's "The Communist Manifesto" in More's ideas (or at least the ideas he allows his characters to put forward). Bear in mind it was written in the 1500s, though, by a well-to-do statesman.
The names of the various counties and Utopian names for things made me chuckle - such as "Noplace" or "Tallstoria".
I enjoyed it. I would recommend it to others.

It also has a pretty cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars cover awful picture but book perfect and on time, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Utopia: Thomas More (Paperback)
this man died for this views and beiliefs. Sadly he does not say how one changes to utopia just what it would be like.

Should be read by all adults more than once at different times in their lives. They need to think about what he wanted from life and everyone and look at how their own veiws change.

A very inportant book

Pity the cover is awful. More lived with Henry V111 Picture too modern

4.0 out of 5 stars Unreal dream, 21 Oct 2005
Luc REYNAERT (Beernem, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Thomas More dreams of a world of tolerance and antimilitarism, but also of collectivism and anticapitalism (a world without money). For him, a world based on private property cannot be prosperous and just. He considered all treaties between prosperous states as a conspiracy of riches.
So, he was more radical than the most diehard leftist of today.
His principal targets are kings, religious authorities and the landowners with their disastrous policy of enclosures, driving all farmers and their families into certain poverty and death.
He gives us also a juicy mockery of the Swiss, who sold themselves as mercenaries to the highest bidders.
This book is still a worth-while read.

Utopia (Classics)
Utopia (Classics) by Sir Thomas More (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Jun 1969)
Used & New from: £0.01