5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!
It covers most of the important topics despite its compact size. It is the best translation I have come across. It does not have others' commentaries, but the author's Introduction is brilliant.

A must read for all Hindus.
Published on 21 Sep 2010 by just someone

2.0 out of 5 stars The Upanishads Penguin Classics
The books is not a comfortable read. One must really be in the frame of mind to take it on and work through some of these chapters.
Published on 8 Nov 2011 by Robin Fernandez-Medina

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)

A must read for all Hindus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Introduction, 9 Mar 2012
Ms. H. Dyer "Heather" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
I'd buy this book for the introduction alone. It's a masterpiece - he explains the inexplicable with simple clarity, drawing on poetry and religious words from throughout the ages, showing how all of them are saying the same thing, underneath.

4.0 out of 5 stars HOLY BREATH, 15 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
Of all the translations of the Upanishads I have not read any which compare to the simple clarity and lucidity of this translation of some of the principle works. Juan Mascaro seems to have found a way of rendering these ancient texts in simple, poetic language which resonates across the divide of words. All other translations I have read have perhaps been more academic, but they fall down completely on fluidity and clarity. Too many of them are dry and smack of 'translationese'. Mascaro manages to make you feel that this is exactly the way in which the Upanishads might have been communicated in English.

Anyone interested in spirituality, or who has had a sense of the Divine in ordinary life, should read these works. Their wisdom underlies just about all spirituality since. Someone above mentions that the Upanishads have a similar message to Christianity. This is essentially true, but there is no suffering or concept of sin and self-punishment in the Upanishads. Nevertheless Christianity was a major attempt at conveying as directly as possible the Upanishadic vision - that God resides in us as well as everything else. Christ is the embodiment of Brahmanic Man and shows us how we can all have that experience. This not what we hear that much in Christianity these days, although it was exactly what Christianity started with. Thus the Upanishads teach us how to read the Gospels. Go read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 7 Feb 2009
C. I. Agnew - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
A truely beautiful book of supreme wisdom, as valid today as it was thousands of years ago and will continue to be thousands of years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to basic Hindu scripture, 27 Nov 2012
Ram Lee (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
I read this book (first) 15 years ago and it is still dear to me; it helped to bring about a breakthrough. I was then just getting acquainted with Hindu tradition, its mythology, philosophy, mysticism.
I had felt existentially out of tune, depraved, and basically alienated for quite some years, and with this book I finally felt `they (the Hindus) know how to face and handle my deeper existential needs (which to me are not quite clear)'.
I felt `now I am about to get to know who or what I really am'. I was 24 then. I was quite grateful.

This book offers a very useful introduction, providing context and understanding, and a selection of the main Upanishads.
It is a good introduction.
For further study, of the complete translations I recommend `The principal Upanishads' translated by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.

greetings,

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual fusion, 29 Oct 2002
PG Williams "discdoc" (Harpenden) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
Juan Mascaro, a Majorcan, was an academic in Ceylon, Barcelona and Cambridge. He had a deep understanding of Catholic Mysticism. His 40 page introduction to this translation of some of the Upanishads is a good way to understand the similarity between Hinduism and Catholicism. This is not apparent on a superficial glance at the religions, and Christians need to read the introduction and then the Upanishads, when it will prove quite a revelation. In fact, it will help in the understanding of Christian mysticism: Brahman (God) is joy and love, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good translation, 18 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
This book should be of interest to you, if you want to study ancient Indian text, that forms part of the foundation for Hinduism. Wether or not, you consider this subject worthwhile of study is your own descision. If you couldn't care less about ancient Indian texts, then I doubt that this book will arouse an interest in you. If you do care about ancient Indian text, then this is the definitive translation. Dr. Paul R. Fleischmann dedicates an entire chapter of his brilliant book "Cultivating Inner Peace" to Juan Mascaros abilities as a translator. If you have previously given up on understanding, what's the big deal about the texts that founds the foundation of Hinduism, then this translation might change your mind. Juan Mascaro is a man, who has lived a simple life, and has experiental understanding of the values of this life. That shines through in this translation, and that is why it is worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
I want to learn as much as I can about this sort of thing! I am deeply interested in the Unipanishads and want to learn more about them. Thank you for this gift of your book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring extracts, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
Buyers beware that this slim book contains extracts from the Upanishads not the whole collection, as I naively thought. It is an excellent selection and translation. Great for studiers of yoga or those interested in philosophy and religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Upanishads (Classics) (Paperback)
All went well and I received the book in good condition. Any book giving us a better understanding of our God is worth reading. This is of course important only to those who wish to grow as a human being. A good book to recomend.

The Upanishads (Classics)
The Upanishads (Classics) by Juan Mascaro (Paperback - 24 Feb 2005)
5.59