5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 20 May 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
I first came across St. Augustine's "Confessions" when I was a freshman in college. It was a monumental experience in terms of both the content of his writing and the freshness and relevance of his writing style. After re-reading them again recently, I am still struck with how contemporary the book feels. Aside from many of its 4th century particularities, the concerns that St. Augustine had and the way he frankly and honestly dealt with them could be lifted from almost any contemporary tell-all autobiography. The biggest exception is the fact that "Confessions" is a quintessentially and irreducibly a religious text, and in an age when religious considerations are largely pushed towards the margins of their life stories, it is refreshing and uplifting to see what would a life look like for someone who took them very seriously and committed himself to reorganizing one's whole life around the idea of serving God wholly and uncompromisingly. "Confessions" is a very accessible text, and for the most part it does not deal with theological and philosophical issues. The exception is the latter part of the book, which are almost exclusively dedicated to those topics. You may want to skip those at the first reading, but I would encourage you to read them nevertheless. Maybe the very inspiring and uplifting story of St. Augustine's conversion to Christianity can lead you into deeper considerations about your faith or the meaning of life in general. I cannot think of a better introduction to those topics than "Confessions," nor of a better guide than St. Augustine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography Extraordinaire, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
This autobiography really does set the standard for that genre. An incredible journey on a personal level. Even if you aren't interested in religion, the ins and outs of Augustine's life are a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and inspiring - A must have., 13 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
What a beautiful book. Only a few pages in and I was captured. Augustine writes with such passion and honesty - braving areas of the Christian life many of us prefer to pretend we never experience. This book is the most inspiring I have read and really fuelled my hunger for God. Without imposing views on us, Augustine's observations on life and God provide answers to the most difficult aspects of Christian life. This really left me on a high - revitalised, after some awful life experiences. I felt moved and strengthened, particularly by how much I felt I could relate to Augustine who is very open and honest about his life and faith. This book is a must have. Christian or not, you must read this book. Praise God for inspiring Augustine to share these wonderful words with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Augustine's confessions, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
I love this book. It was so inspiring. It really helped me to think deeply about the purpose of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent translation, 8 Feb 2014
Very good modern translation of a classic autobiography and insight into tho soul of a great thinker in search of truth and the God who is the truth

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was wanting to start my research, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
Good condition, super for the Price. There is no need to say anything else.just to fill u[p the space. OK?

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
This was requested by a committed Christian. He was very pleased with the item and said it would be a useful reference guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Augustine"s Confessions. Translated by Pinecoffin, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
This is an excellent translation of the classic Confessions of St. Augustine. The language used is very comprehensible and enables the reader to follow Augustine more closely in his journey towards God. Great insights are given into the inflence his morher St Monicx had on his conversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars To think just how long ago this was written I find it to still have serious meaning today. Not for the impatient., 17 Oct 2013
Paul Billington (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
I chose to read this as it is a work that is so often referred to in academia and I like to cut back to the primary sources.
Augustine has had huge influence of philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent honesty in prayer, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
I read this book and am only halfway through. What honesty and sincerity. It is so relevant for today for us surrounded by material possessions, loss faith and adherence to money. Everything that is non spiritual has taken over our lives despite we feel taht there is something missing in our lives. This personal honest prayer brings it all together.

Confessions
Confessions by R. S. Pine-Coffin (Paperback - 3 July 2002)
3.99