4.0 out of 5 stars The best reading version, 4 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This is the story of a descent into Hell, still being read over 700 years after it was written. Whatever your religious beliefs, Dante wrote about a journey common to many; the downward spiral we can only escape from when we finally reach the very bottom.
The advantage of the D.L. Sayers translation is its readability. Miss Sayers was a best selling author; like Dante she knew how to keep the reader interested in the story. Her translation isn't always 100% accurate (which is why this edition gets four stars, and not five). But the technical accuracy was generally sacrificed for the more exciting read - if you want to read Dante for your own pleasure, this is the version to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and enjoyable, 19 May 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Mark Twain once (possibly apocryphally) described a "classic" as a book everybody wants to have read but nobody wants to read. I suspect a lot of people view Dante in this light, but I found this excellent, readable translation of Inferno surprisingly enjoyable and very rewarding. It is well worth reading Inferno for its narrative skill and its exceptional insights into human frailty and it is surprisingly engrossing - but then, if you're looking at this page you probably don't need me to tell you that.

My academic discipline is physics, not literature so I am not able to comment on this translation's accuracy or suitability for academic study, but for the interested general reader like me it is terrific. Dorothy L. Sayers was a very considerable scholar and a fine writer (as her Lord Peter Wimsey books show). This combination produces an excellent translation here. It is eminently readable and seems designed to draw the reader into the narrative and carry them along without ever losing the intellectual weight and important content of what Dante was saying.

Sayers has a deep understanding of the 14th Century mind and of the intricacies of Florentine politics which inform quite a lot of the book, and she brings it all alive very vividly. She uses a verse-form which tries to capture the spirit of the original which I found very engaging, with a summary of the story of each Canto at its start. There are excellent notes and readable, witty and scholarly introduction if you're interested or if you need explanations. I suggest that you read a few of the sample pages available here to see whether it's to your taste; personally I was hooked after a very few pages.

Sayers writes that The Divine Comedy has an enduring beauty because it is built upon noble bones. I agree, and Sayers herself has done a fine job in making that beauty available to modern readers. I warmly recommend this book - it has been a source of enormous pleasure for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dante's inferno, 25 July 2013
The book was in the good condition specified (in fact it was excellent). It arrive earlier than I expected and was very securely packed. I have had several purchases since I started six months ago, and each has been most satisfactory.

The Divine Comedy: Purgatory: Purgatory v. 2 (Classics)
The Divine Comedy: Purgatory: Purgatory v. 2 (Classics) by Dante Alighieri (Paperback - 26 Aug 2004)