5.0 out of 5 stars Great Informative Read, 5 Jun. 2014
Fantastically well written book.

A stunning tale of one man's life born into bondage and his escape to freedom in the northern states.

Personally Douglass account of his experiences abroad in Ireland I found very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blessed, 12 May 2014
A deeply moving book - What a man and what horrific ordeals he came through to become orator, writer and to maintain, and yes ,to increase his love for Jesus his Saviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, 15 Mar. 2014
L. Powell (UK) - See all my reviews
Born in to slavery this is about the authors early life and his eventual escape to the 'free' north and his life for a while after.

This book isn't too depressing which is surprising considering the subject. It's amazing well written considering the author was a slave and wasn't formally taught to read or write (and had very little help). His intellect shines through his words and you can feel his passion and strength leap from the pages.

One of the best books I've read although the last few chapters really do ramble and add nothing to the book in my opinion. Despite the disappointing last few chapters and a lack of tied ends I've been raving about this book to everyone I've met over the last few months!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Dec. 2013
Great book, very educational. Written by a run away slave, you taught himself to read and write.

Well written. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely fantastic book!, 10 Oct. 2007
L. Spurling (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Bondage and My Freedom (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
This is by far the best book I've ever read about slavery and it's effects on both the slave and the slave-owner. Absolutely worth reading. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... four stars because it's very difficult to say you love a book which covers such content, 4 Nov. 2014
I give this four stars because it's very difficult to say you love a book which covers such content. I have never been able to understand how some humans could treat others as animals or commodities, then claim to be good Christians.
Thankfully Frederick Douglass was strong and took advantage of opportunities that arose. He was a man to be admired.

My Bondage and My Freedom (Penguin Classics)
My Bondage and My Freedom (Penguin Classics) by Frederick Douglass (Paperback - 28 Aug. 2003)