5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Eyre
This is a beautiful story - the best romance ever written. But don't let that put you off - Jane Eyre is as passionate and wilful a character as you could ever wish for. Written in the first-person, Jane Eyre is both compelling and exciting. You haven't truly read anything if you haven't read this!
This is a fast-paced story (not as wordy as people are inclined to...
Published on 26 Oct 2008 by Book Worm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but abridged?
Good version, but not the full version - I don't remember this being stated when I bought it? Good if you jst want the 'gist' though.
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Joy's mother

‹ Previous | 162 63 6468 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime classics, 7 Jan 2013
Destiny (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jane Eyre (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read this one yet but love Jane Austen's books. It is great to be able to have them on Kindle to read when I want to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for money, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre (Paperback)
Brought it so i could help my son in this GCSE exam , not the sort of book i would usually read so happy not to spend alot of money on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story!, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre (Paperback)
I can't believe I haven't read it before now! Watched the 2011 film and fell in love with it's gentle pace and gothic setting, decided I had to read the original novel! It's smaller size book, but lovely to hold and read, will love books forever, love the feel, smell, snuggling up to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 16 Aug 2012
I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. Though I presume most people are far more cultured than I am and will have already read it, or at least studied it at school. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was because I felt like I could see a bit of myself in the title character. I guess that most female readers would probably feel the same (though please do correct me on that). I like to think that I don't put up with things that I disagree with, that I will stand up to people and not just pander to their every whim. I like to think that I tell it like it is and don't sugarcoat bad situations. I like to think that I don't prize money above happiness and that I would make the same generous decisions that the protagonist makes when she comes into money. I like to think that I am spirited and feisty and that I don't just shy away into the corner like an unnoticed wallflower. In short, I like to think I'm a bit like Jane.

3.0 out of 5 stars An unrealistic but haunting novel, 11 July 2012
Firstly, I was also struck by what another reviewer has picked up on. There are way too many happy coincidences in this book:
1. Jane advertises herself as a governess in a newspaper and the only response comes from the Byronic Rochester of Thornfield Hall. The fact that nobody up until now finds Jane attractive is something the reader is constantly reminded of. Her only responding letter just happens to bring her to the first (and only) man who finds her attractive.
2. Even if you are not aware of the plot, you will probably find yourself wanting to shake some sense into 'educated' Jane for actually believing Rochester when he tells her that all the strange noises and happenings in the mansion are the actions of the servant, Grace Poole. There is blatantly someone else in the house - anyone would work that out.
3. None of the women staying at Thornfield recognise the old Gypsy woman as Rochester in disguise, not even Jane who is already falling for him and has been studying his appearance, voice, mannerisms, etc.
4. Jane doesn't question Rochester when he forbids her to speak to Mr Mason and forbids Mr Mason to speak to Jane. If you were in a large, Gothic house and a guest appears to have been gored by a human bite, you would want to know what exactly had happened, surely? Especially if you must live with the person responsible.
5. After Jane flees Thornfield and has been wandering for days and is starving, at death's door, she just happens to be taken in by two kindly sisters and their brother.
6. These siblings *just happen* to be able to set her up as a school mistress.
7. These siblings *just happen* to turn out to be her cousins (of all the houses she could have deleriously wandered up to!).
8. Jane, who resented being inferior in social status to Rochester, just happens to be the sole recipient of her uncle's estate (thus, coincidentally(?) placing her more on par with the master of Thornfield).
9. Just as Jane is getting sick of her cousin, St John, and his relentless, loveless marriage proposals, she hears Rochester's voice even though he is miles away. And now that she seems to desperately want to return to Rochester, Mrs Rochester *just happens* to commit suicide by jumping from the roof of Thornfield Hall (after being in that house for ten years) - thus making room for Jane - sans moral scruples.

What does redeem this book, for me, is its social commentary. It is a profound and damning statement on the powerlessness of women, as well as the poor and destitute, in the context in which it was written. Also, Charlotte Bronte - as her sister Emily did so skillfully in Wuthering Heights - constructs countless images that will haunt the reader for years to come: the child locked into the red room and fitting with fear, the capricious Byronic master of Thornfield, and most potently, the mad woman in the attic who is finally silhouetted against the flames consuming Thornfield Hall, her arms outstretched and waving, before smashing to the pavement below.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Captivating Classic, 12 Sep 2011
Victoria (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jane Eyre (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the rare books that deserve to be called a classic. It is a truly captivating story told in an autobiographical style from the perspective of Jane Eyre, an orphan under the care of her Aunt Reed. Follow Jane through her childhood, her schooling and the love that she most desperately yearns for. But will she ever receive the thing she has most been deprived of?

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Novel, 11 Nov 2007
Jane Eyre is a beautiful novel, wrote in the style of an autobiography which allows the reader to gain an intense interest in Jane's thoughts and feelings. The novel is about a orphaned young girl who endures cruelty and heartache at the hands of her aunt and cousins, and her desire for freedom and independance. I don't want to give too much away, but Jane takes a position as governess at thornfield hall, where she finds love with her employer Rochester. However all is not what it seems... leading Jane to question her morality.

A beautifully written novel, which I found unable to put down, and found myself thinking about even whilst not actually reading the book. Truly Magical

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautiful story of love and lies!!!!!!, 23 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I absolutely recomend this book. If you love mystery and romance, then this should be a good book for you. Jane is a bit like most of us and she is in the end torn between what she wants and what must be. Choosing the latter she is rewarded well. Excellent book!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 July 2014
great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
Enjoyable.

‹ Previous | 162 63 6468 | Next ›

Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics)
Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics) by Charlotte Bronte (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Mar 1996)
Used & New from: 0.01