Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2010
Mayhew is unfortunately slipping from the general publics knowledge which is a shame. His ability to write clear and in most cases dispassionately is so informative of the social structure of London in his time. His use of facts and figures does not dilute the books easy reading style. For students it is a god-send, so many ideas but better still quotable statements abound.
on 29 January 2015
The main oddity about this edition is the cover. Why has a picture of people from the 1940s been used to illustrate a book about Victorian London?
My other complaint would be that the description of the book does not make it clear that this is a selection of extracts from Mayhew's work rather than a complete copy.

Now that I'm more aware of the total length of the original work (three volumes and a shorter fourth), this seems reasonable, but I would still have prefered to know BEFORE I bought this book, as I already own a small volume of extracts.
on 24 November 2015
I truly appreciate the opportunity to be awakened to the realities of a very difficult time in our European history...and part of our personal background as well. Along with other readings it brings other historical factors into greater understanding, such as why and how people became desperate and found themselves being sent to criminal colonies, gaols, suicide, ......thanks to Mayhew...who must have had a certain fortitude to find out more than he probably expected, and be basically unable to do much about it himself....
on 17 May 2014
This book provides a compelling review of the circumstances of London labour during the industrial revolution. In many ways one can still see the key economic principles at work today, as well as some of the inevitable results. Most importantly, it provides a model for what other countries, even today, are -- at least in part -- experiencing as they industrialise. Many of the lessons and "take aways" int his book are as relevant to our times as they were then.
on 17 February 2013
I purchased this book for my husband as he had just read Terry Pratchett's "Dodger" and this was one of the reference books mentioned. It is a mine of fascinating information and we both keep dipping in.
on 22 March 2014
This book is not easy reading, but gives a vivid descrption of life in London at the time. Thank goodness I was born in the 1940's.
Well written and the pictures bring London to life even more.
on 28 September 2014
A wonderful description of Victorian London as lived by the poor, complete with aural history rendered in very passable dialect. Occasionally a little turgid, but the best passages are sublime.
This book is an excellent read, although rather heavy reading. It's a book I find to pick up and read a bit at a time, to get the most enjoyment and information from.
on 10 November 2013
What a fantastic journal.You can open the book anywhere at random and read stories that can break your heart or move you with admiration. Just wonderul!
on 12 March 2014
I bought this as part of my research into my family history. An excellent, informative and enlightening book. Wish I could afford the full version!!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse