Published on 27 Oct 2007 by Gilgamesh

1.0 out of 5 stars Good poems, difficult to read on kindle
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by scruffygardener

5.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect anthology - to give as a gift or for your own library, 27 Oct 2007
This wonderfully organized collection of poems takes you through life from birth through childhoold, first love, marriage, parenthood, growing old, dying and mourning. And what's particularly appealing about it is the selection of poems - yes, you'll find many old favourites but also appropriate contemporary poems. It's a wonderful gift for a friend, lover or relative - anyone who loves poetry. Perhaps most important of all it's beautifully bound in cloth, with a ribbon marker, generously typeset and a pleasure to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Anthology In Every Sense, 8 Oct 2008
TREX (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I was asked by a friend abroad to find some English poems suitable for children in the 8-12 age group. He was recalling the stuff in our old primary school readers,e.g. Tennyson, Scott, Rosetti, etc.
In this unassuming volume I think I have found many poems suitable for that age group. But yet so much more for those of us who are older.
This volume selects around 360 poems from over 100 poets who wrote in English. The poems are grouped to match the different phases (and related concerns) of life from birth to death.
There are poems in this from many well-known poets through the ages from Chaucer to Plath. There are also several less-well known poets included.

Clearly, this type of anthology was well thought out from both the literary and the marketing point of view. This collection will sell well because of its providing a diverse variety of touching verse for all ages. But it will also stimulate new demand for the work of many of the more forgotten (if not totally unknown to some of us!) poets selected in it.

Ms Barber guides a motley group of readers through the foggier ridges of thought towards the fertile valley of shared emotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pneguins Poems for Life, 17 May 2009
Bought this book for a friend's big birthday as she is an avid poetry reader. Every time we talk she has to tell me about another poem in the book that is wonderful. I think I will now buy the book for myself as she seems to really enjoy it. A wide selection of modern and old poems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguin's Poems for Life, 3 Nov 2010
What an absolute gem of a book! I bought this for an elderly friend's birthday as it seemed appropriate and how right I was - poems that reflect each stage of life from the cradle onwards. Dipping in I found old favourites along with lesser known poems;celebrated classics and lighter hearted verses. I shall, no doubt, be buying more copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I love this poetry anthology. Especially the section on 'getting older' but that's just me! The book is divided into eight sections with each section concerned with a period in life from 'Birth and Beginnings' through childhood, falling in love, all the way to 'Mourning and Monuments'. I find myself browsing at random, looking for favourite poems or poets or simply picking a section and reading through it. This book would make an ideal gift for any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'first collection' of poetry, 20 May 2010
Ms. N. Newell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
It had been a fairly long time since I last read poetry so I decided to purchase an anthology of 'classics' to ease myself back in enjoyably. This book is well structured, following eight different stages of life from birth to death and grieving afterwards, which is perfect for me as I'm a young adult and so can follow these poems as I grow up. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone - there are some great poems that can be read to children, and beautiful ones to read to yourself - for it's a really great anthology to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Poetry Lovers Everywhere, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I am an avid collector of poetry anthologies and this is really good! Favourites and new poems are collected together and placed in suitable sections - great - get it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguin's Poems for Life, 30 Oct 2009
I was so pleased with this book that I immediately ordered one for my friend's birthday. When choosing the book I found the facility to look inside particularly helpful. Amazon service and delivery excellent as always - Thank you
Stephanie Seager

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I bought this book as a Christmas present for someone but upon glancing through it have decided to keep it for myself. Guess it'll have to be a trip to the shops to search out something else. The collection of poems is amazing and am looking forward to spending many hours reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good poems, difficult to read on kindle, 7 Dec 2011
The poems in this book are lovely. But, and it's a big but, the book is very much let down by how it has been implemented for the Kindle. The formatting is bad, with poems half on one page, half on another making it a confusing read. Also, the contents and index pages are missing, making it impossible to move through chapters (life stages). Very disappointing. I wouldn't recommend you buy the kindle version of this book.

ARRAY(0xaf60315c)

Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics)
Penguin's Poems for Life (Penguin Classics) by Laura Barber (Paperback - 25 Sep 2008)
6.99