4.0 out of 5 stars A great reference book
This is a comprehensive collection. The only reason for it not being marked with five stars is because some poems (like TS Eliot's The Wasteland) are only extracts. I would prefer the full version but then I suppose the book would be even bigger.
Published on 2 Jan 2010 by Angel House

3.0 out of 5 stars Paperback or e-book?
Published 22 months ago by Hempnall

4.0 out of 5 stars A great reference book, 2 Jan 2010
Angel House "Poet" (South Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Penguin Book of English Verse (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Book of English Verse, 14 Nov 2009
Many people probably buy just one poetry anthology, so chosing a good one is important. This one certainly contains a large proportion of the poems, that I expected to find in a general anthology, though inevitably any choice will be personal and affected by changing fashion. This anthology includes translations and verse in dialect, together with a wide range of types of verse, often missing from anthologies. However, it omits American and other non-British writers, apart from poets such as TS Eliot, who came to have a close relationship with the UK. An unusual feature of this anthology is that poems were grouped according to year of publication, rather than by author, which I think was a mistake, as it is surely more likely, that readers would want to look at a particular poets work, rather than verses from one particular year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paperback or e-book?, 5 Oct 2012
I have this anthology in both formats. I bought the e-book first and like some other reviewers, I found navigation very frustrating. So *** at most as a rating. Given I liked the content, I then bought the paperback and found that really useful and worthy of a ***** rating. An object lesson for Penguin. If you are going to charge so much for e-books, do a bit more work on them to make them more user friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, 17 April 2012
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
Besides chronological order this collection has two precious features it shares with the John Hayward original (probably still my favourite anthology), its often highly original selections (but never quirky for the sake of it) and its reliance on original spelling, for which there is no substitute; twitchy editorial fingers keep off!

NB the Hayward anthology was also issued in hardback as The Faber Book of English Verse (yup!) though the print still looked somewhat pinched on the page, as I recall (I saw a used copy once)

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable in it's scope and quality, 10 July 2014
I live this book, it is the most concise and high quality compendium of English verse I have ever found. A truly comprehensive and highly convenient way of enjoying and learning more about the poetry of this language.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is as it is!, 25 Feb 2012
If you like poetry and yearn for a single volume containing the 'best of the best' that English verse has to offer, this is the book for you. It it cheaply published; simply edited, with poems arranged in chronological order; and contains most of my 'favourites'. That said, I must say it isn't quite how I'd like to see my best poems treated. Crammed into a big fat volume like this, on cheap paper, I must say this is best for students on the cheap. There is nothing special about this book. True, there are few others that span such a time period, and it is very good to dip into at random to discover a gem you had no idea existed.

1.0 out of 5 stars annoying limitations and very expensive, 4 Jan 2011
I can see the point behind only using extracts of long poems in a physical book, but those limitations don't exist in an e-book, so why can't we have the complete texts. For this price....

The navigation through this e-book is incredibly annoying. There is no quick link to the table of contents and even when you eventually get there it is vast and takes endles scrolling.

Also, whose dim-witted idea was it to list the poems by year of publication instead of by author? I have never - never - said to myself "I would like to read a poem written in 1825. I don't care by who". It's a stupid idea.

That said, the poems are great.

Very expensive - why is it so much more expensive than the paparback? Surely manufacturing and distribution costs must be minimal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loads of poems, 20 April 2013
This was a text that was required for one of my modules at University, so I don't really have stuff to say about it with bursting enthusiasm. However it does have a very good collection of poetry in chronological order of dates when written, and it covers a huge historical span from Chaucer to relatively modern stuff. It also has a good contents section, so everything is super easy to find.
This anthology also contains poems from anonymous writers, which I thought was great and quite interesting to read, especially with the war poetry. This is a really thick anthology, and there and LOADS of poems inside.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Price, 16 Nov 2010
I have already bought this in paperback and when I saw it for the Kindle I was pleased as lugging the paperback around is not easy, but pricing it considerably more means a lost sale. Shame for all concerned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot afford it, 3 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd like to review this book but unfortunately I can't afford to buy it. What a ludicrous price for an ebook anthology of poetry much of which is out of copyright. Penguin should be ashamed of themselves.
Fortunately the anthology 'Immortal Poets', available at a very reasonable cost through the Kindle Store, has an extensive collection of classic English and American poetry and is an excellent production.

The Penguin Book of English Verse (Penguin Classics)
The Penguin Book of English Verse (Penguin Classics) by P J Keegan (Paperback - 30 Sep 2004)
13.60