5.0 out of 5 stars utterly brilliant introduction to poetry for kids
Published on 25 Sept. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars good poetry introduction
This is a good book to get you started on poetry - good examples from various authors - you may well want to extend children's interests with specific authors - but it is a good all round introduction to different styles of poetry.
Published on 9 July 2009 by S. Gardner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly brilliant introduction to poetry for kids, 25 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
my mate bought this for my children two years ago, when they were four and two. it's become a mainstay of bed-time reading in our house. beautifully illustrated, laid out, and with an accessible choice of 'rhythms', it's a regular part of the night-time routine. i used to read the poems to my kids: now they read them to me. when my daughter wants to cheer me up, she reads me benjamin zepheniah's 'body talk'; when she wants to wind me up, she reads spike milligan's 'kids'; and when we all want a hug, i read them brain patten's 'squeezes'. utterly brilliant poetry highlights that poetry is fun. in fact, i'm online today to buy my mate's kids the book for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars My children wanted to read the poems again and again, 22 April 2003
S C A HOBBS (Market Harborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
They really couldn't get enough of the poems. There is such a good range from Spike Milligan through to Kit Wright and on (or back) to Roger McGough. That isn't to say that the others are any less important, funny or entertaining. Even the illustrations are great. I would recommend this book to parents of children of ages from 2 to 22. Although really I bought it for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Box of delights, 9 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book,which I'd bought as a gift for my Granddaughters, to introduce them to poetry.It will be an excellent doorway to another world.It is worth buying for the illustrations alone...such fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny poems for all ages, 11 April 2008
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
I was searching for a decent poetry book, since the one that I read as a child called Junket and Jumbles.

The Silly old Baboon poem was hilarious, and I am quite certain that the little boy for whom I bought this book will treasure it.

One small comment. If you are buying this book as new then all the poems are there, however with the second hand options go for the one that has the title 'The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry' and not the one titled just 'Utterly Brilliant Poetry' as the latter is just A5 size and missing some great poems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated book of poetry for kids, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
I already had the Puffin Book of First Poems which is really fantastic introduction to poetry for young children. The pictures are gorgeous and the poems really appealing to children up to about 8 or 9 years of age in particular. I bought this second hand for my Speech&Drama classes at ITW Studios in Dublin and was delighted to find it was an ex liberary copy in a protective cover and in perfect condition! This one will last a good while I'd say with lots of use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Puffin book of Utterly Brilliant poetry, 16 July 2006
Wow!

What a fantastic book, I am a parent of a young child (8) who has difficulties with reading and general literacy. He absolutely adored this book, some long poems for Mum to read but some that he could manage himself which was a huge confidence booster.

Spike Milligan's `The Squirdle' had him in fits of laughter as Mum kept getting it mixed up (on purpose of course) as did Benjamin Zephaniah's `Luv Song'.

I would highly recommend this book to parents and adults as it really has got something for everyone.

Believe me to see children who can't stop giggling whilst reading this book is a wonderful sight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puffin book, 9 Jan. 2013
Y. Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
This purchase was to replace the same book that we had before the Internet was so big. It was donated to a school library. This is an excellant book full fun poems which all readers like young or old. Well worth replacing our old copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry of my Childhood, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
My Aunt (head of English at a grammar school) bought this for me when I was about 6, and it immediately became one of my number one books. I adored it, and still do. It's definitely accessible for bright younger children. Some of the sections are tricky, but the pictures sometimes make things easier. I personally never had the poems read to me, but really enjoyed learning to read them to myself - I have brilliant memories of reading the Charles Causley section (which is, as they all are, beautifully illustrated) to myself in a den made of blankets in the garden. If you want your child to get into literature early I recommend this. I'm now doing and English Lit degree with an honours in Creative Writing, and can honestly say that this book lit a spark in me back then - I look back on it with love.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry (Paperback)
It is utterly brilliant! We love it! Many requests for this boo at story time, excellent illustrations. Happy all round.

3.0 out of 5 stars good poetry introduction, 9 July 2009

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry
The Puffin Book of Utterly Brilliant Poetry by Brian Patten (Paperback - 26 Aug. 1999)