5.0 out of 5 stars A "I couldn't put it down" book
Well, i have read the whole series of Kevin and Sadie and this is the best one. I couldn't put it down and i enjoyed it very much so. I love Joan Lingard and I would tell EVERYONE to buy it.
Published on 21 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Belfast's answer to Romeo and Juliet
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars A "I couldn't put it down" book, 21 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Across the Barricades: A Kevin and Sadie Story (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars the second book in the kevin and sadie saga, 21 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Across the Barricades (Hardcover)
This book is a great book, if you enjoyed the twelfth day of july you will love this. this book follows the path of sadie and kevin after escaping their past to start a new life together where no one knows them. This book will take you through their good times and their bad as they come across new problems on their eventful journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 9 Jan. 2007
Mrs. A. Orr - See all my reviews
I read this book when I was in primary school. I loved the story then even at that age, and it has always stuck in my memory. I have decided to purchase the book again now that I am in my thirties and who knows when my children are a bit older this is a book I would encourage them to read also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Belfast's answer to Romeo and Juliet, 29 Jan. 2013
When they were first published back in the 1960s, the "Kevin & Sadie" series by Joan Lingard quickly achieved an iconic status - not just in Northern Ireland, where they're set, but also abroad, for their portrayal of two teenagers, one Catholic and the other Protestant, who fall in love with each other at the height of the Troubles. The book ran for five series and "Across the Barricades" is the second installment.

On the one hand, there are a few flaws in "Across the Barricades" which are down to nothing more than its age. Its portrayal of vicious internecine sectarianism in Belfast's working class communities may not seem too outdated thanks to last month's flag riots in east Belfast, but unlike some of the other books in the series, I didn't feel "Across the Barricades" had dated too well. Its language and its concerns are so much rooted in the 1960s that it's often hard for a modern reader, even one from Belfast, which I am, to empathize with them fully. That perhaps seems like an unfair criticism and people more familiar with the world "Across the Barricades" is talking about might not feel that way. In general, I thought it was a slightly less gripping book than its prequel, "The Twelfth Day of July," in which the titular protagonists meet for the first time, during street fights over the Orange Order's controversial annual parades.

Some of Catholic Kevin and Protestant Sadie's own sectarianism, still rampant when they meet for the first time in "The Twelfth Day of July," dissipates slightly too quickly in order to make room for the romance in "Across the Barricades." However, they are both still well drawn and believable, particularly Kevin, and they both crucically manage to keep the reader's sympathy. Supporting characters like Kevin's likable sister Clodagh and Sadie's repulsively small-minded mother are also engaging and they show a real attention to detail that reflects Joan Lingard's skills as a writer. While it maybe lacked a bit of the engagement of its prequel and first sequel, "Across the Barricades" is a 4* star book, but for me personally, there were times when I didn't enjoy it as much as I did other books in the famous "Kevin and Sadie" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wee book that had a big impact., 28 Aug. 2014
Amazon Customer (Ballymena, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Across the Baricades was one of my favourite books as a child. Re-reading it as an adult brought back a whole wave of emotions. I grew up in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. This book effected me. It helped to shape me and my beliefs. It encouraged me to look at the situation here from everyone's point of view and to not just blindly follow those on my own side of the divide. I hadn't read it years, probably not around the time of the Peace Process, and I wasn't sure how it would have stood the test of time. Unfortunately it has stood the test of time a bit too well for my liking - a lot of the issues in it would still be relevant to many young people in Northern Ireland today. I think it is a great starting point for anyone, young or old, who wants to try to understand The Troubles and the attitudes of that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars "across the barricades by joan lingard, 10 Jun. 2008
i read the twelfth day of july the first book on how kevin mccoy and sadie jackson meet when i was at secondary school. then i read across the the barricades the second book about sadie and kevin, i love both books.these 2 books are my firm favourites of the kevin and sadie books.
kevin mccoy a catholic and sadie jackson a protestant meet for the second time in across the barricades but! because of their religion they have to meet in secret. there are people both on kevin's and sadie's streets don't want them to be together.TRUST me you'll love the book. if you can,get the first book has well because then you will know who the characters are and understand across the barricades. i will give 1000 stars for both books

3.0 out of 5 stars A kind of Romeo and Juliet story about a forbidden love, 2 Mar. 2005
written by Simone
I like the book "Across the barricades" by Joan Lingard. It's a tragic book and the auther informs the reader very well about the conflicts in Northern Ireland between the Catholics and Protestants. But I think it is not enough only to read the book. You have to know a bit more about the historical background, because Joan Lingard only describes the problems by means of giving examples. The book is very easy to read because you can understand most of the vocabulary from the context. So a German person has no problems reading it. The story is a very good one. It's a kind of Romeo and Juliet story about a forbidden love. But it is not a usual one. It'sa different kind of love story.

3.0 out of 5 stars a kind of Romeo and Juliet story about a forbidden love, 2 Mar. 2005
I like the book "Across the barricades" from Joan Lingard. It's a tragic book and the auther informs the reader very well about the conflicts in Northern Ireland between the Catholics and Protestants. But I think it is not enough only to read the book. You have to know a bit more about the historical background, because Joan Lingard only describes the problems by means of giving examples. The book is very easy to read because you can understand most of the vocabulary from the context. So a German reader has no problems to read it. The story is a very good one. It's a kind of Romeo and Juliet story about a forbidden love. But it is no common story. It's a different kind of lovestory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barricades, 4 Mar. 2011
M. Hill "KingKong" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is set in Norther Ireland amist the troubles with Catholic and Protestants. Introducing Sadie and Kevin, who against all the odds thrown at them want a happy peaceful life together. However, being from different areas in Northern Ireland and different religions, it isnt easy.
From family and friends that are constantly at war over this matching up. Its a taste or indication of what love was like in war torn Northern Ireland.
Only two stars, as its a teenage love story, with sprinklings of what life was really like in Northern Ireland at the height of its troubles.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Troubles in every sense of the word, 12 Aug. 2010
This a story about a young couple from each side of the Irish divide during the Troubles. This was one of my favourite books as a young teenager and I decided to revisit the book this year as part of a literature course and I am so glad I did.

I enjoyed it this time round for very different reasons than I did as a kid, but enjoyed all the more for that. It took me back to my childhood and let me visit again from an adults eyes.

Really well written and thoroughly enjoyable, I highly recommend.

Across the Barricades: A Kevin and Sadie Story (Puffin Teenage Fiction)