4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a younger reader! Teaches a lot!
Published on 11 Aug. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this book a strong book on racism.
Role of thunder here my cry is a very good book. It strongly highlights the ammount of racism that was going on in the 1930. I read this book at school and don't have a copy myself but i still found the book ammusing. My favourite character is T.J because he was exciting and mischeiof ( probably spet that wrong). Mildred Taylor (the author) is a genius and i think i...
Published on 3 Oct. 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a younger reader! Teaches a lot!, 11 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)
I have now read this book twice, loving it each time! I cried the first time, because I was so captured in the story and characters. I learned so much about how life was, fairness, and confusion. It made me thankful to be treated with respect. The only thing that disappointed me was that it was so short. I would have liked to read more about the Logan family. Or at least get to know them better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacularly written with a superbly unpredictable ending, 11 Jan. 2000
By A Customer
When I first met Cassie Logan, I thought she was a wonderful character with a somewhat over gregarious nature. She demonstrates a relatively unseen side of racial inequality in 1930s Mississippi; a view through the eyes of a young girl protected from the cruel discrimination by her loving family. I also thought that Mary was a particularly admirable character. She - for me - is one of the most determined, open minded and fair heroines of all literature. She portrayed this in organising the Vicksburg trips, which show her extreme courage at what could have led to her death. This is an absolutely must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Lesson in race and Culture, 2 Dec. 2002
When I was at school, studying for my GCSE's, I was forced to read this book....fortunately the book was an excellent read..and contained a very good message - that we are all the same, no matter what our skin colour and that we should not treat anyone differently because of skin colour. My appraisal goes to the author - well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thunderous novel, 19 Nov. 2008
A. R. Gower - See all my reviews
Cassie is the narrator of Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.
She is young in heart and young in age, and must grow greatly in society to compete with the factor of being a black girl in 1930's Mississippi.
The book shared a lot of truth and reality towards life in this time period, showing how racial discrimination can bring a community together and push it further apart.
This book in my opinion was a strong read that seemed very suitable to read for a person in year 8 as well as year 9. The book had its boring moments and the racial discrimination factor took over the family value of it. The strength Cassie had to stand up for what she believed in inspired me greatly; even though she was unaware of the effects it would have to her and her family. Cassie may have a lot of things to learn during the book, but has to overcome a lot of her childish habits and her childish behaviour to understand the hierarchy of her society. Her elder brother and parents have understood that life is difficult for a black family in 1930's, but Cassie and her younger brothers are distant to the atmosphere around them.
The blacks are not all ways treated badly by the whites as two characters impact them strongly. Though there are these characters whites are still greatly negative towards the Logan's and other blacks in Mississippi. This is definitely an in-depth book.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written ,showing the effects of ignorance on a child, 22 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I had to study this book for my junior cert. exam. and found the book very tense from start to finish.Firstly, Mildred D. Taylor has written the book very well from the childs point of view.In the novel the reader is brought into the life of a young black girl in the Mississipi of the 1930's and her growing up in a world where the majority of people had not come to realise blacks as equals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! Interesting and enlightening, 6 Nov. 2007
That guy 'Ali g in da house' with his unintelligent name completely missed the point of this book. I'd hate to know what his grade was for that paper.
This book is powerful, and a riveting read. I am 17, and was given this book to read by my home-school tutor last year (I have an illness and was unable to go to school or do exams) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got it out of the library to re-read, and I love it even more. I too took out the sequels, 'Let the Circle be Unbroken' and 'Road to Memphis' and loved them also. These books teach us a very important history, culture, and they teach us how it felt to be black living in that time! This is interesting reading for anyone with half a brain. The characters are great, Cassie is a very strong well-built character, and Christopher-John and Little Man are just loveable.
This book and its sequels are a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A spellbinding story of equality, 2 Jan. 2012
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is a novel written by Mildred Taylor, an African-American. It is an award-winning bestseller and it is the third book in the Logan family series. The book was published in 1976.

The book is about the prejudice between black and white people during the 1930s in Mississippi. Cassie Logan, a fiery nine-year-old who can't bear racism, is telling the story. The Logan family is one of the richest black families that have their own land, so they become targets for the white people who want to take it away. After a tragic murder of a black man, the Logans are determined to stop other blacks from shopping at the murderer's shop. The Logans want to put an end to the dependence of the black people on the white people's land. By the end of the book, the black and white people work together to stop a fire, which is a start.

I think the book was very enthralling and enjoyable. I enjoyed the part about Cassie successfully tricking Lillian Jean, a cocky and mean white girl, and the other trick about breaking down the white children's school bus, which splashed them every morning on the way to school. My favorite character was Kaleb Wallace because I found the way he was a coward when he saw Mr. Morrison, a tall and strong black man, very funny. I also liked Uncle Hammer because he was very loyal to Cassie when she told him that Mr. Simms knocked her off the sidewalk. I liked it a lot when Uncle Hammer bought a silver Packard just to spite Mr. Granger, a powerful and rich white man who also owned a silver Packard.

Although there were many good things about this book, I thought there were some parts that could be improved. For example, the language was very difficult to understand because the dialogue was written in a Mississippi accent.

Overall, I think Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry was very well-written with a gripping and mesmerizing plot. I recommend this book for teenagers who are prejudice against black people, because it teaches you that everyone is equal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing reading adventure, 1 Nov. 2010
Mildred Delois Taylor, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

I enjoyed this book. The writing is comprehensible, the main characters are sympathetic, the plot is very realistic and very sad because you get to know the situation of the black population and of the worldwide commercial crisis during the 1930th very clear.

The nine -year- old Cassie Logan, from her vision the story is told, her three brothers, six-year-old Little Man, twelve-year-old Stacey and seven-year-old Christopher-John, the parents David and Mary and Grandma BigMa live together in Mississippi. They have their own little piece of land so they are independent from the landlords and have better life conditions than the other black people who have to pay dues to the landlords. Anyway the Logans haven't enough money so David has to work for the railway company to earn additional money. The consequences of the worldwide commercial crisis also make their living more difficult because the prices for food and cotton wool increase steadily.

This is the background for the everyday life of this family and their neighbours. So Cassie and her brothers are often treated bad during the way to school by the white school bus driver. The book also shows their work at home and the happiness when David can spend some time at home or when uncle Hammer comes from Chicago to visit them and to help them. Cassie is treated badly by white neighboors and so she feels the effects of racial discrimination hardly. The reader can feel very close the rage of Cassie, who wants to fight against unfairness and rejection. You feel helpless in view of such a mean behaviour. At the end all of a sudden everything is happening at once and due to Davids keen mind and his serenity a big catastrophe can be avoided.
The book offers good entertainment and gives a very nice impression of the time during the worldwide commercial crisis and the racial discrimination. Also it is a story for the whole family because it is written very clear. Somehow it is an adventure story and also a type a history book. It can be recommended to all readers who are interested in history and social issues.

All in all this is a must read book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusion, 9 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
I think the person who wrote the review 'why was it written?' doesnt understand the book. It is not encouraging us to share the views that were held towards black people in the 1930s, in fact it is highlighting the injustice and prejedice of those views and so i dont think that it is 'repressive to black people today.' I think that this is the best book to study at GCSE and it is very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging, exciting book, 3 Oct. 2000
Review: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Mildred D. Taylor
From it's opening, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry thrusts the reader into a world characterised by both racial hatred and oppression and a strong sense of family loyalty and strength. As we follow Cassie through her difficult and challenging childhood, we too experience a similar "coming of age" as we question why '...does it have to be...?' Papa's answer, simple as it is encapsulates our own view of the whole novel: 'All I can say, Cassie girl...is that it shouldn't be.'
The novel portrays the world of 1930's Deep South Mississippi with at times, a brutal harshness, but always with a tone that is fondly reminiscent. The 'Author's Note' that comes at the front of the novel is certainly worth reading, and helps us to locate the author within the story she is telling.
I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a novel that is tense, exciting and challenges our perceptions and understanding of prejudice.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Teenage Fiction) by Mildred Taylor (Paperback - 29 Sept. 1994)