I love, or should I say LOVE, the "Anne" series by Lucy Maud Montgomery, but this one is my least favourite. For me, it just lacks the sparkle of all the others.

Published on 16 Sep 2007 by S. Barnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Anne but not as magical!
Published on 6 Jun 2008 by Philip Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally... Anne's romance with Gilbert Blythe blossoms! And yet, there's a lack of sparkle in this book in the "Anne" series.., 16 Sep 2007
S. Barnes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)

Anne of Windy Willows (or Windy Poplars, as it was originally published) is the fourth book in the series, the sequel to Anne of the Island, but it was actually written long after book three (1915) in 1936. By this point Lucy Maud had already written Anne's House of Dreams (1917), Rainbow Valley (1919), and Rilla of Ingleside(1921) - books 5, 7 & 8 - and she went back and slotted in this one, and later Anne of Ingleside, to fill in a couple of gaps.

The book does fill a useful gap in Anne's story, but lacks just a little bit of the flow and dreaminess of the other novels, possibly because much of the novel is written in the form of letters to Gilbert. That said, it's lovely to see romance blossoming with Anne & Gilbert. She was never supposed to fall in love with that dapper Roy Gardner, and was engaged to Gilbert at the very end of the previous book. However, Gilbert must be away for his doctor's training for the next three years... so the couple are in for a long engagement...

Anne secures the position of principal at Summerside High School, and in true Anne-style this is not without its difficulties. She finds a lovely place to board and we meet the charismatic "Aunts Kate & Chatty", and hilarious Rebecca Dew. And then there is Anne's relationship with the forlorn little girl, Little Elizabeth, living next door... not to mention Anne's mission to reform and befriend the miserable school teacher Katherine!

It's still a lovely book to read, but as I re-read the Anne series this is the one I'm always least eager to pick up. The Anne books are wonderful stories for all ages from 8+. If you haven't read any before, start with number 1 which is Anne of Green Gables. I can't recommend them enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anne is engaged and a teacher in Windy Willows ., 7 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
Anne and Gilbert are engaged at long last, but the wedding cannot take place for three years yet, as Gilbert is still attending medical school. Anne spends this time teaching in a place called Windy Willows and chronicles the happenings in regular letters to Gilbert; letters which form the basis of this book. For the first time we get to see life through Anne's eyes and see a new town and new friends just the way she sees them. In this small way, by putting you 'inside her head', this book lets you out a fantasy most of us have had at one time or another -- the wish to be Anne.
Together with her, we discover wonderful new people who quickly make a place for themselves in our hearts. There is the amazing 'hired help', Rebecca Dew and the magical little girl next door, Elizabeth who longs to enter the land of Tomorrow.
Though the community is hostile to an outsider initially, specially the Pringle clan, who is almost royalty, Anne's warm heart and beautiful spirit win them all over in the end.
When she finally leaves for Green Gables to get married, though we are overjoyed that she and Gilbert are to be together at last, we cannot help but feel a pang of nostalgia for the people and places she leaves behind. Places on which she has left her mark .... places which will be always to her, and to us, home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless classic., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
The third book of the series. Delightful to read a story that does not contain pages of graphic sex, bad language and violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Again, 3 July 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
When I had finished Anne of the Island, I immediately went on to read Anne of Windy Willows. At first when I had read the first two or so chapters I didn't like it as much as the other Annes because none of the normal characters were in it. I was left on my bookshelf until I had read the whole of the series and wanteed just another titbit of Anne. So, reluctantly I picked up Anne of Windy Willows and finished it in a few days.
I found after I had got into it that it was a brilliant book and it didn't matter about the other characters. It was one of those books that you could keep rereading and rereading. I highly recommend it to any fan of Anne.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Teacher In Love, 14 Nov 2009
Mrs. L. E. M. Marsden "FriendlyLynn" (Westhoughton, UK) - See all my reviews
Anne of Windy Willows: Puffin Classics

A very well thought out book in which we see life through Anne's letters to her lover but with out the sharing of her inner most loing thoughts about Gilbert. The way she writes about life and how visits back home lack something when Gilbert is not there is heart warming. Her genuiness to care for others especially those who cause problems like Katharine Brooke and the Pringles makes this yet another lovely addition to the Anne series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Anne but not as magical!, 6 Jun 2008
Philip Thompson "abby1710" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
Having loved the first three books I had high hopes for this and initially was not dissapointed but about half way through the magic seemed to end. The initial story was great but I felt the second part was quite contrived and didn't have the same magic or believabilty as the other books and too many unnecessary characters were introduced although only briefly. I am still looking forward to the next book as Anne is one of fictions most lovable characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
L.Montgomery books of Anne are very inspiring, buoyant and full of vim! I can read them over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anne flies the nest, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
It continues to be a pleasure, following Anne as she turns into a young woman, in this, the third book of the series.
It is also so interesting to read about the people of this part of Canada back in these days, as we get to know them through their being known to Anne and her family..

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Windy Willows, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
I love all of the Anne books, so it was just as I hoped it would be. A recommended set of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) (Paperback)
Loved L. Montgomery's books when I was 12 and thoroughly enjoyed them all again 60 years on!

Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics)
Anne of Windy Willows (Puffin Classics) by L. Montgomery (Paperback - 23 Feb 1995)