5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kids' reading
Published on 26 Jan 2006 by DocMartin

3.0 out of 5 stars ap
The title gives this buuk as "unabridged", but it is abridged and as I've already opened it I cannot send it back. Still Martin Jarvis is a very good reader and the abridgement seems to only cover discriptions which some children might find dull so it's probably still a good buy. I have however informed Amazon that their discription is incorrect.
Published on 19 May 2010 by ap

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kids' reading, 26 Jan 2006
This book did for horses what Charles Dickens managed for workhouses, boarding schools and several other of the less laudable Victorian institutions. Like Dickens, it has survived the test of time and remains on most “Children's Classic” lists. Although there are plenty of horsy adventures for the hero, Sewell manages to avoid almost all of the traps of anthropomorphism and sickening sentimentality that infest most kids' books that touch upon matters equine. This book should however come with a warning: it can be quite brutal, as was the Victorian's treatment of working horses and, when I first read it as a child of six I found it harrowing and desperately upsetting (although it does have a reasonably happy ending). At 44, I still can't read it without a tear and a lumpy throat so this is probably not one for the nursery bookshelf; however, it remains on my list of essential reading for children. My eight-year-old son is studying Victorian history as his school project and has put down Harry Potter in favour of this; trying to prevent my six-year-old, horse-mad daughter from picking it up may prove problematical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderful story, 22 Feb 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Oh, this is such a sweet book and has left me sighing with satisfaction at the end.

I have never read Black Beauty until now. As a child I was never a girly girl and was never into horses or ponies at all and subsequently never had any desire to read this book. I wanted to read about The Famous Five solving crimes and having adventures.

I'm not even sure what made me pick this book up after all this time but I am so glad I did. The story itself is told by Black Beauty, a horse who is born to a kind family and trained to be a good working horse. He is then sold on and that is where he ends up in a series of backbreaking jobs. There are the baddies in this book and also the goodies, the kind, gentle owners who care for him and of course there are other horsey friends that Black Beauty makes along the way.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and has earned a place in my most-amazing-books shelf. It was such a sweet book and I'm so glad I read it after all this time. I would recommend to children and adults alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars ap, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Black Beauty (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 May 2012
My 12 year old daughter couldn't put this classic story down. It really captured her imagination even though she's seen the film many times, she absolutely loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this story, 6 April 2009
For the sad fact is that it's as pertinent now, as it was back when it was produced by Anna Sewell as a "cry for help" for the horses of her time.

Do a bit of research ... how many horse and pony sancturies are in your country? Visit them (online or in person) and check out the state in which some of their residents arrive at that place of care and safety. It'll touch your heart.

The book itself is beautifully written, though perhaps not for the under 10's - for in places it'll bring tears to the eyes. It's interesting though - and A.S. has captured a horse's "take" on life with humans well. Indeed Black Beauty and his friends often show quite a touch of that "horse sense" we humans talk about! We are of course glad for Beauty that his own story has a happy ending, with him living out his old age in love and safekeeping. But for many horses, ponies, donkeys, it's not so - this is 2009, and that is a disgraceful fact.

As with all Collector's Library books, this is a compact size and a lovely presentation of the story, with occasional good quality line drawings. Well worth a place on your bookshelf - for all all ages to read, and learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have your hankies ready, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty (Kindle Edition)
I never read this book as a child so I thought that I would give it a go as an adult. Read it on holiday. At the sad part about Ginger I had to go off to the sea for a swim on my own. (I seemed to have got something in my eyes! That's why they were so red.) Please take the IPad of your child and give them this to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant easy read, 6 Feb 2014
I. Macleod "Ian Macleod" (Stevenage) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Beauty (Kindle Edition)
After some of the difficult to follow books I had been reading this was a pleasure to read. The author made sure there was empathy with horses and although the ending was obvious there was a slight twist in the tail! (oops)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Feb 2013
J Boronte "Jo B" (UK) - See all my reviews
My little girl loves horses but the full version of Black Beauty is too difficult for her to manage. This version is perfect for her ability, a good interpretation of a classic book

5.0 out of 5 stars Black beauty, 7 May 2012
This was bought for my daughter who is in her final year at university. She had to get some older literature as well as new to get the children to see how differently they were written. I have alway been a reader, and this is one of my favorites as a child. She was extremely pleased with it, and was a book she had not previously read.
The book arrived very promptly and would definately use this service again. Great service :).

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty - a blast from the past, 18 Mar 2012
Mr. K. J. Peacock (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Beauty (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that I read in my youth, I recently bought a tablet that had the kindle app loaded so I thought I'd take a look, saw this book and felt like revisiting it. So far it's been good.

Black Beauty (Puffin Classics)
Black Beauty (Puffin Classics) by Anna Sewell (Paperback - 3 Mar 1994)
Used & New from: 0.01