Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 May 2007
I encountered this book during my degree and at first I was dismissive because it was a children's book and because of the political trouble that still surrounds Rushdie. However, I quickly changed my mind. I found it to be very refreshing and truly stands out, not only for children's literature but also adult literature. This does not mean, however, that his poltical viewpoints are not there, they are obscured by the context of the story. The volcabulary I found to be wonderful - I learnt a few new words myself! but not so difficult as to get in the way of plot. Above all it is about the wonder of the imagination and the power of language to change the world in which we live, power of father and son, and domestic redemption. If you give this story a chance you will be rewarded. However, a word of caution to parents: if you are separated from your partner/divorced this may give you children hope that you will get back together and if you are not ready to deal with questions from your children I advise you do not purchase this book.
on 1 October 2000
Haroun and The Sea of Stories is one of those books you can't lay down until "THE END" forces you to, and even then you continue hoping it is some sort of printer's mistake. Mr. Rushdie's ability to weave a story is not only fascinating but also refreshing and places him royally among his own Plentimaw Fishes. In the best of story telling tradition, Rushdie reveals the essence of human nature and the formidable powers of will and imagination we all possess. This book is one story that shouldn't be missed at any age,for its message of hope and perpetual renewal is a promise to all.
on 6 November 2010
I absolutely recommend this book as it is very clever and very creative in its style. From the very first page you feel taken into another world. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is very much like a fairytale but it also teaches you a lesson about everyday life and about how important it is to remain optimistic and cheerful even in "the saddest of cities" (quote from the 1st page of the book) Have fun reading!
on 13 July 2000
This collection has one of the best first pages of any book that I have read. It's worth buying just for those five or six paragraphs. I read it to my nephews, who are fidgety at best, and they were captivated (relatively). Don't be put off by Salman Rushdie's perceived intellectualism, this book is immensely readable.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 June 2015
This small tome published by Puffin is not a simple fairy tale for kids (although children will definitely like it, though for different reasons) about a boy Haroun and his dad Rashid, a glorious storyteller, who live in a sad town without a name. There are plants that produce sadness but Rashid continues to delight people with his tales. Until one [sad] day stories just cease. And little Haroun embarks on a journey to the Sea of Stories, in an attempt to return to his father the gift (and is it a gift?) of words and storytelling. And then it all starts: politicians who are villains, mechanical birds who can read minds, gins and a Princesses with long nose (and the teeth…), Princes who still love the Princesses, the sea full of stories and ships made of shadows…

“Haroun and the Sea of Stories” was published in 1990, written at the time when Rushdie was sentenced to death for the publication of another, more well-known book. In this small but wise tale a lot of burning questions are asked: about literature, about freedom of speech, about culture and our tolerance.

In my humble opinion, this is a book written for children aged 8-14. But adults will still appreciate the subtle humour and rich language of this interesting mirror of the modern world. I finished it in one sitting.
on 13 August 2014
When I read this to my daughter she was lost in a land of wonders, spinning around. She now has read this book many more time and made some craft ideas like but the hoopoe or the ghost ship. Every time people say it's in possible she says you have to believe to see what's there.
on 28 February 2013
I read a review which described it as a 'feel good read' so decide to try it. It isn't the sort of fiction I'd usually read. An adult fairy tale with emphasis on 'good' and 'bad' but could still be read by older children and interesting enough to keep me reading to the end.
on 2 June 2013
Rushdie's writing style in this book is amazing if you enjoy imagination. The words as well as its world is magical. It has some neat ideas. It's nice and short. I'm not too sure I liked the story in general though. But it was definitely worth the read.
on 19 June 2012
A lively children's tale recently recommended to me - full of adventure and charismatic characters. For all you storytellers and storylisteners out there, read about why the Oceans of Notions is a P2C2E - a Process Too Complicated To Explain.
on 18 November 2007
I have just read this book as part of my degree and all I can say is I wish i read it sooner. It was brilliant. If I am ever asked where stories come from this book will be my answer. An absolute must for both adults and children!