4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a younger reader! Teaches a lot!
Published on 11 Aug 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this book a strong book on racism.
Role of thunder here my cry is a very good book. It strongly highlights the ammount of racism that was going on in the 1930. I read this book at school and don't have a copy myself but i still found the book ammusing. My favourite character is T.J because he was exciting and mischeiof ( probably spet that wrong). Mildred Taylor (the author) is a genius and i think i...
Published on 3 Oct 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a younger reader! Teaches a lot!, 11 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I have now read this book twice, loving it each time! I cried the first time, because I was so captured in the story and characters. I learned so much about how life was, fairness, and confusion. It made me thankful to be treated with respect. The only thing that disappointed me was that it was so short. I would have liked to read more about the Logan family. Or at least get to know them better.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Lesson in race and Culture, 2 Dec 2002
This review is from: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
When I was at school, studying for my GCSE's, I was forced to read this book....fortunately the book was an excellent read..and contained a very good message - that we are all the same, no matter what our skin colour and that we should not treat anyone differently because of skin colour. My appraisal goes to the author - well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars well written ,showing the effects of ignorance on a child, 22 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I had to study this book for my junior cert. exam. and found the book very tense from start to finish.Firstly, Mildred D. Taylor has written the book very well from the childs point of view.In the novel the reader is brought into the life of a young black girl in the Mississipi of the 1930's and her growing up in a world where the majority of people had not come to realise blacks as equals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacularly written with a superbly unpredictable ending, 11 Jan 2000
By A Customer
When I first met Cassie Logan, I thought she was a wonderful character with a somewhat over gregarious nature. She demonstrates a relatively unseen side of racial inequality in 1930s Mississippi; a view through the eyes of a young girl protected from the cruel discrimination by her loving family. I also thought that Mary was a particularly admirable character. She - for me - is one of the most determined, open minded and fair heroines of all literature. She portrayed this in organising the Vicksburg trips, which show her extreme courage at what could have led to her death. This is an absolutely must read book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusion, 9 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I think the person who wrote the review 'why was it written?' doesnt understand the book. It is not encouraging us to share the views that were held towards black people in the 1930s, in fact it is highlighting the injustice and prejedice of those views and so i dont think that it is 'repressive to black people today.' I think that this is the best book to study at GCSE and it is very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging, exciting book, 3 Oct 2000
Review: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Mildred D. Taylor
From it's opening, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry thrusts the reader into a world characterised by both racial hatred and oppression and a strong sense of family loyalty and strength. As we follow Cassie through her difficult and challenging childhood, we too experience a similar "coming of age" as we question why '...does it have to be...?' Papa's answer, simple as it is encapsulates our own view of the whole novel: 'All I can say, Cassie girl...is that it shouldn't be.'
The novel portrays the world of 1930's Deep South Mississippi with at times, a brutal harshness, but always with a tone that is fondly reminiscent. The 'Author's Note' that comes at the front of the novel is certainly worth reading, and helps us to locate the author within the story she is telling.
I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a novel that is tense, exciting and challenges our perceptions and understanding of prejudice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thunderous novel, 19 Nov 2008
A. R. Gower - See all my reviews
Cassie is the narrator of Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.
She is young in heart and young in age, and must grow greatly in society to compete with the factor of being a black girl in 1930's Mississippi.
The book shared a lot of truth and reality towards life in this time period, showing how racial discrimination can bring a community together and push it further apart.
This book in my opinion was a strong read that seemed very suitable to read for a person in year 8 as well as year 9. The book had its boring moments and the racial discrimination factor took over the family value of it. The strength Cassie had to stand up for what she believed in inspired me greatly; even though she was unaware of the effects it would have to her and her family. Cassie may have a lot of things to learn during the book, but has to overcome a lot of her childish habits and her childish behaviour to understand the hierarchy of her society. Her elder brother and parents have understood that life is difficult for a black family in 1930's, but Cassie and her younger brothers are distant to the atmosphere around them.
The blacks are not all ways treated badly by the whites as two characters impact them strongly. Though there are these characters whites are still greatly negative towards the Logan's and other blacks in Mississippi. This is definitely an in-depth book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! Interesting and enlightening, 6 Nov 2007
That guy 'Ali g in da house' with his unintelligent name completely missed the point of this book. I'd hate to know what his grade was for that paper.
This book is powerful, and a riveting read. I am 17, and was given this book to read by my home-school tutor last year (I have an illness and was unable to go to school or do exams) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just got it out of the library to re-read, and I love it even more. I too took out the sequels, 'Let the Circle be Unbroken' and 'Road to Memphis' and loved them also. These books teach us a very important history, culture, and they teach us how it felt to be black living in that time! This is interesting reading for anyone with half a brain. The characters are great, Cassie is a very strong well-built character, and Christopher-John and Little Man are just loveable.
This book and its sequels are a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, down to earth book!, 21 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This book is absolutley excellent with great attention to detail. it gives a brilliant impression of what life was like for black people in South America not so long ago. If you enjoy it maybe you could try "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee which is on the same topic, Racism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 July 1999
By A Customer
This book is about 10 year old Cassie Logan growing up in 1930's Missisppi. It is a wonderful story and although it is slightly complicated at times you'll need a box of tissues for the end.

ARRAY(0xa2b16150)

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Modern Classics)
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Puffin Modern Classics) by Mildred Taylor (Paperback - 6 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01