5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine All Time Classic

Published 13 months ago by eppingstrider

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine All Time Classic, 3 Jun. 2007
Ian Spencer (Solihull) - See all my reviews
Professor Branestawm was a classic on a par with (and of the same era as) Winnie the Pooh: these are funny short stories of the Professor who is brilliant, eccentric and forgetful. He inventions always work, but usually are fatally flawed. Set in the 1930s, he occupies his bachelor pad with Mrs Flittersnoop the housemaid who usually gets the wrong end of a bad experience of one of his inventions. Highlights are stories such as "The Too-Many Professors" where an elixir of life brings photographic characters out of the pictures, including a picture of the one-year old professor wearing nothing but a smile, half a policeman saying "Pass along p..." and generally far too many professors charging around.

The best thing about the book are the "seventy-six" illustrations by W Heath Robinson - he of rickety machine fame which make the book and perfectly complement the wildly imaginative stories. Wonderful for reading to the children (as an excuse to re-read them yourself).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm, 4 Feb. 2009
I bought this book together with another Professor Branestawm book, for my two older grandsons (8 and 7) at Christmas. Both are allowed time before 'lights out' to read in bed and when saying goodnight to the 7 year old saw him tucking into a chapter or two with relish. This is a second generation thing - our daughters both read and enjoyed these books 30 years ago and. I think, watched dramatisations on TV. Despite having been written a good few years ago, they still stand up today. My grandsons also love Captain Underpants (what boy wouldn't) and these books are just as crazily amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious book for 8 to 11 year olds (particularly boys), 30 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This book appeals to 8 to 11 year olds with an interest in home spun technology and foreseeable disasters. Fans of the Chuckle Brothers will recognise the genre. The inventions and science are broadly based in reality, but never actually work. My rather serious 9 year old giggles non-stop at the antics. Our favourite stories include the chemical which makes photogaphs come to life resulting in multiple Professor Branestawms of various ages from baby upward and one where the Professor loses a library book and tours the area's librarys... Great Fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever plots in the slapstick tradition, 22 Mar. 2014
I love the theory of Professor Branestawm – the nutty professor who gets into all sorts of scrapes when his inventions go wrong. The inventions, brought to life so beautifully by Heath Robinson, more or less lived up to my expectations. I don’t know whether I’m a little jaded, or I really have lost my humour mojo, but I found some of the stories mildly amusing, more of them irritating, and a couple, just a couple, had me laughing out loud.

There are 14 Incredible Adventures, and I laughed at the Pancake one (partly because I love pancakes and would have loved a machine making them for me – so would my mum, I reckon) and the Too-many Professors, which was a wonderful confection of chaos I could really imagine. I also delighted in no.3 The Professor Borrows a Book. I suspect the intricacies of the library system described would be lost on today’s youngster, since libraries are under threat, and the thought of each village having its own library with scores of rarely-requested books is just a pipe-dream. But the Professor’s principle of getting a copy of the same book out of one library in order to check it back into a different one is not unlike the way some people use credit cards, so I expect people will relate to it.

I kept wondering whether the book is too dated for the modern young reader. I was surprised that it is given a 9+ reader designation, since I felt the stories were ideal for six and upwards. Some of the words are quite long, and there is a lot of reflective narrative that is eminently suitable for a bedtime story, but I’m not sure how well it would be tackled by a young reader.

The quote from Charlie Higson on the front cover “Can still make a modern kid laugh like a drain” is something I bear in mind. Charlie Higson writes hugely popular kids books featuring vampires and seriously messy stuff. I assume he knows what a modern kid laughs at. It’s just that I can easily put four words in front of that quote, which makes more sense to me. Those are: “I wonder if it” .

The plots are ridiculous in the slapstick tradition and very clever. The names of people, places and organisations are full of delightful puns. It is beautifully written. And I laughed out loud at some of them. What more do you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Still A Fun Read, 13 Jan. 2015
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
First published in 1933 this book and others by Norman Hunter have kept children entertained for years, and I think many grown-ups can still remember reading of Professor Branestawm. Of course although Branestawm is the major character the stories wouldn’t be as good without his housekeeper, Mrs Flittersnoop, and his friend Colonel Dedshott.

There is an active table of contents here which you may find quite useful because although some incidents are mentioned in later stories here this is really a book of short stories. If your child has never read any Branestawm stories before then this is an ideal introduction, especially if they enjoyed the Christmas special which was on the BBC late last year. Branestawm makes Wallace (of Wallace and Gromit) look quite normal by comparison as he comes up with inventions that although created with good intentions always seem to cause chaos and damage.

As we follow Branestawm here we see the kind of troubles he gets into, and those that he causes other people. Whether he is creating a device to capture burglars, a pancake making machine or something to help with spring cleaning, things always seem to go awry, indeed whatever Branestawm touches has unforeseen consequences, including just going on holiday and attending a party.

As Branestawm manages to go from one comic mishap to another he pulls others in as well, and not just his housekeeper and the colonel, giving children a lot of comic misadventures to enjoy. This book is also brought alive by Heath Robinson’s great illustrations, especially those of the inventions of the madcap professor. This is great for children to read or even have read to them, as well as still entertaining and diverting enough for us adults, whether you have read any of the stories before or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars but mother dreads as bedtime choice ...., 3 July 2007
I give this book five stars because it was so frequently requested but I dreaded it being chosen for night time reading, personally I find the stories unfunny and the language old fashioned but my son loved them, they really appeal to kids with a sense of humour and interest in technology. Have to say that the illustrations are great though.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old childhood classic., 21 July 2013
I grew up with the Professor Branestawm books and the fabulous drawings of W. Heath Robinson (accept no modern substitutes – this edition has the original art). Both the writing and the art are hilarious. I hadn't read Norman Hunter's work since childhood, but I bought the book for an adult friend, as a fond joke, who is into science. The stories are surreal, warm and funny. Even as a grown-up I discovered this book is still delightful. My friend now reads it to her little niece and nephew, and they all love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read lots of books but these stories are my all time favourite, 25 Feb. 2011
I love reading novels but Professor Branestawm are the best stories, I started reading these books when I was in year 6 and still today I find time to read a couple of Professor Branestawm stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down Memory Lane, 7 July 2013
Could not believe it when i put in the words Professor Brainstom up came the above book--even though I had the name wrongly spelt--it was a series that I had as a class reader at Primary School nearly 70 years ago and I have always held it "responsible" for my love of reading--so different to the usual type of book children at other schools were reading--the little girl I bought it for also thoroughly enjoyed it.Thanks again for prompt service.

Marge

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 17 May 2011
Bought this for my grandson's as i had for my own son and daughter when they were younger. Lots of laughter then as now, brilliant every child should have a copy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm by Norman Hunter (Paperback - 1 April 1947)
Used & New from: £4.61