5.0 out of 5 stars Every child care workers bible
Published on 27 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder of favourite rhymes, songs and games
This is a good reminder of rhymes, songs and games I had forgotten from my childhood. Now it will be nice to go through them with our Granddaughter. (Must change my title!)

Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Nanny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Every child care workers bible, 27 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: This Little Puffin : A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes,Songs and Games (Paperback)
I have used the Little Puffin for almost ten years now and I have to say that as a nursery nurse I could not work with out it. I have used it with every age group of children from 0-8 years old. It is so easy to use with all the songs being in catagories e.g 'seasons' and 'sea shore'. It gives simple music for songs you may not know the music to and gives fun variations of simple nursery rhymes. I thoroughly recomend that all childcare workers invest in a copy and keep it with them at all times and particularly recommend it for people who are just beginning their training as it is really useful if you have a few minutes to fill and just can't think of a song. After all we have all heard " Can you sing me a song about..." With This Little Puffin you can quickly access a song about almost anything! 10 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for kids, not a kids' book, 16 Mar 2010
J. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
I have used this book for about 15 years now, and is essential for all those who are bringing up, caring or working with children. It is not a big colourful book, for sharing with children - there are plenty of those already, and it would be just too enormous if it were, and impossible to read, and expensive. This is a -pop-in-the-pocket or handbag book, to take with you to refer to and get ideas from at any moment, and to improve your own knowledge. It is almost THE definitive book on childhood verses, rhymes and songs. I was introduced to it on a music course for children in the Early Years at school. I have bought it and recommended it so many times to people. A great addition would perhaps be a CD with the tunes to sing along to, but even if you don't know the tunes, why not make them up?!

5.0 out of 5 stars REDISCOVERED!, 18 April 2007
C. R. Okparaeke (UK) - See all my reviews
I have just rediscovered this treasure thanks to a little boy I take to nursery at the moment. his elder brother (6) confided in me that their mother "knew some of the rhymes in there". the book belongs to the nursery teacher, but flicking through it the lovely illustrations stirred memories of having this book shared with me as a child and straight away i thought 'i hope amazon has a copy!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Finger rhymes for babies and tinies, 11 Sep 2010
Mr. R. A. Parker "Beth Parker" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
someone bought THIS LTITLE PUFFIN for me when I had my first child. We both enjoyed the finger rhymes and tickling songs! the repetition helped my son develop his language skills and the book encouraged time together doing fun things. i have given this book to many people who are expecting/just had a baby and they have all enjoyed the book very much. i discovered a few years ago that THIS LITTLE PUFFIN is on the NNEB course book reading list!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for small children, 20 Oct 2013
I have worked with young children for over many years! This book has been at my right hand when preparing song and rhyme time for small children consistantly.
I first bought this book when my daughter was born( 40years ago) and have continued replacing it with every new addition since.
The recent copy is fabulous!
I even give it as a gift on the occasion of the birth of friends grandchildren.
A GREAT LITTLE BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab treasury, 27 Aug 2013
This is to replace a copy that I bought 20 years ago. I use it all the time with children aged between 4/6. You will find a song or rhyme for every occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable!, 19 May 2013
Janet (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really great book of children's songs and rhymes. Many of them I knew, some of them I used to know but had forgotten and there was lots that was completely new to me. My 3 year old daughter and I had a really special afternoon together today, using this book. Some of the rhymes had her in hysterics and she loved the action songs. It is so cram packed that we still have loads left to learn from it. Another good feature is that you are given the music to the songs, so you can play the tune on a piano if you don't know it. As well as being fun for round the house, I know this book will be great on long journeys and on holiday too. I am so glad I discovered it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a little gem!, 26 Feb 2012
This book is a godsend to parents of young children, playgroup and nursery workers and infant teachers; in fact anyone who comes into contact with young children on a regular basis.
Not only will it remind you of songs and rhymes from your own childhood but it will introduce you to new ones and more modern versions of some old favourites.
If you are musical many items have the melody line with them so you can play to accompany the songs.
Listening to rhyme has been associated with children learning to read more easily at a later date so all in all a fantastic and excellently priced purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder of favourite rhymes, songs and games, 9 Mar 2010

It would be lovely to have this in a bigger, easier to keep open, colour illustrated book that I could sit and look at with Granddaughter. I'm going to have to learn them! The print is very small, page layout could be improved and there is no colour. More a record than a 'look-at' book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whole lessons or five minute fillers, 20 April 2009
This is an invaluble resource for teachers and any adult who have young children in their care. Themed songs and poetry also conting rhymes for educational "five-minute-fillers".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

This Little Puffin : A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes,Songs and Games
This Little Puffin : A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes,Songs and Games by Elizabeth Matterson (Paperback - 26 Sep 1991)
5.59