4.0 out of 5 stars All about children, dogs and the power of little sisters., 10 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
WOOF! is a good book for children who have imagination. It is an exciting story about a mysteries and adventures.
Eric Banks is a 10 year old boy who, when about to go to sleep one night, has a prickly feeling all over his body. In 15 seconds he is turned into a dog, the first of three times in the book. With his best friend Roy Ackerman, will he ever find out why he turns into a dog?
In between their canine adventures they make different theories: 1. the Not-The-First Theory 2. the Rays From Space Theory 3. the Reincarnation Theory 4. the Potion Theory 5. the Jigsaw Theory
Then there is the Emily Theory. Will Emily, Eric's three year old sister, ever get the dog she is always wanting and wishing for? And does Eric ever stop changing into a dog?
I wish I could have been Eric because I like the idea of changing into a dog. I'd enjoy chasing a cat but wouln't be very keen on eating dog food.
This is the first Allan Alhberg novel I have read. I loved it and look forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric's life turns upside down when he turns into a dog!, 20 May 2001
By A Customer
Eric is a perfectly ordinary boy until one night he sprouts a tail, fur, and a wet nose. He looks in the mirror-and a Norfolk Terrier stares back! "You again! Out!" Even his parents reject him when he gets into the house. He and his fried Roy puzzle over the mystery and come up with some interesting theories-is it rays from space, swopping bodies with another dog-or it is his little sister's longing for a dog that had done it? Read 'WOOF!' to find out!

4.0 out of 5 stars WOOF!, 4 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
I love this book,it is a great read. You can imagine all the characters and the discription is excellent. It is also very funny. I highly recomend it and once you start reading you cant stop! This book would suit anyone who likes a good laugh and is aged between 8-15

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't write 'em like this anymore..., 10 Mar. 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Well, sometimes they do, but this has a nostalgic feel to it, for me as a child of the 80s, growing up with Ahlberg stories. Intended for older readers than Each Peach and Funnybones, this is a chapter book story about a boy who, somehow, suddenly finds himself turning into a dog.

A dog that his parents promptly kick out of the house! Can he persuade his best friend who he really is? Can they avoid getting into trouble? And most importantly of all, can Eric prevent himself turning into a dog in public?!

It's the sort of book I remember with great fondness from my childhood reading, a story of magic and friendship set in a reassuring background of home, school and small town. Eric has adventures in the swimming pool, on his Sports' Day, and he and his best friend Roy make a cheery and comic pair as they try and navigate the strange happenings together.

I listened to the Andy Crane audio-CD of the book, which also took me back to the Broom Cupboard days. It's only 3 hours to listen to, so without seeing the text size I am guessing it would make a good week or two's bedtime reading with the short chapters. A really good 'what if...' story for 5 to 9 year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 24 Jun. 2012
L. Burgoyne (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have read and re-read this book every since I was a youngster and love listening to it on tape. The story is about a boy, Eric, who inexplicably turns into a dog one night. He tells his best friend who is delighted and treats Eric like he is HIS dog. Together they try to work out why Eric turns into a dog and have adventures with Eric as a dog, all of which are wonderfully described, enjoyable and very funny. Allan Ahlberg always writes terrific stories and this is unmissable and equally enjoyable for boys, girls and their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny story, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
I loved this story when I was younger, it was very funny. Just so weird but brilliant at the same time and the ending always intrigued me. Don't be surprised if your kid starts asking dogs to bark once for yes and twice for no. I did but they never replied. lol!

5.0 out of 5 stars Woof, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Kindle Edition)
This book does not age, one of the first books I read as a kid couldnt put it down then and cant put it down now. Finished it in two sittings as love it so much. Great memories

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite childhood books, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that I read over and over again when I was a child (young adult). I loved it, and it was so imaginative. I wished the book was longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars woof, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
woof is a really good book for younger children to read that are good readers
children enjoyed the story and the illustrations

5.0 out of 5 stars Very popular, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
I bought this book to read to my class at school and I have to say they enjoyed it! Recommended.

Woof! (Puffin)
Woof! (Puffin) by Allen Ahlberg (Paperback - 24 Sept. 1987)