5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!
Published on 18 Jan 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story but too small print
I bought this book for my 9 year old son as he watched the movie and was amazed by the story. I read it myself as a child and I have remembered it ever since. A beautiful story and it makes you think and wonder. However they have tried to get this long book into as few pages as possible and so the font is very small. I think too small for a child to read.
Published on 14 Jan 2012 by P. Henriksen

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, 18 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Neverending Story (Puffin Books) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book deserves to be a classic. I remember reading it as a child thinking it was the best thing I had ever read. Now as an adult I still find it captivating. It's full of adventure and fantasy, most of all how one small child can make a difference in a world of imagination and dreams where "small" matters. For those of you who have seen the film adaptations and were put off, I would recommend you read the book. It's far better and far more encompassing. Michael Ende is one of those authors who you come across by surprise, enticing you with page after page of really good writing until eventually you wish the book really was neverending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented version of a classic book., 22 July 2009
Mr Ghostface (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Neverending Story (Hardcover)
"Die Unendliche Geschichte" - 1997 HARDCOVER RELEASE

Michael Ende's novel first came to my attention after I had seen the wonderful Warner Bros film in 1984. Just a teenager at the time, I sought out the book and read it. It was fantastic, a book I intended to keep for the rest of my life. But it was a yellowing, cheap paperback re-released off the back of the movie. So one day trawling through the catalogues at Amazon, it occurred to me to check out if the book was still in print. It was. And how.

When my copy arrived, I hadn't realised the effort that had been put into its print. The cover art is crisply reproduced with firm hardbacking, but the real surprise was to be found inside; the text is printed in alternating purple (for Bastian's story) and green (for the events within the storybook itself). It's one of those books you want to stick on the shelf and never touch again because you want to preserve its beauty, although well-thumbed books take on an appreciated beauty of their own. I love this book, I would've paid twice the price for it.

Hope you enjoy it as much.

NOTE: Michael Ende's novel is longer than the film, which was based only on the first half of the book. The sequel is not based on the second part. The translation is the original one by Ralph Manheim. For trivialists, Ende died in 1995, Manheim in 1992.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story but too small print, 14 Jan 2012
P. Henriksen - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 2 July 2010
Although this is a little long winded(most likely due to the fact that it is translated) this is still a great fanatsy story. As an avid viewer of the film, it was nice to have seen Bastian's journey and growth into self-acceptance and adulthood. I found that all the ideas were not totally unique as I had feelings of Lord of the Rings at times. Also, I found that a few of the minor plots around characters were brought to an 'easy' end, almost cheaply written out of the story. Great read all the same. It would be nice to read a few of the characters journeys when it was stated 'but that is another story to be told another time'!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most extraordinary work of fantasy I've ever read, 12 May 2000
By A Customer
I have read this book a lot of times, and I find it new and amazing every time I hold it in my hands. The Neverending Story is not just ONE story. As you read it, you will join a magical journey which will take you from one incredible adventure to another. You will visit wonderful places, where you would live in forever ; you will encounter fantastic characters, that you would wish to be your friends in real life. I am sure that as soon as you finish the book, you will go straight back to the beginning to read it again. You will never get enough of Michael Ende's extraordinary masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Adult-sized Fairy Tale, 20 Dec 2004
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Until recently, I was blissfully ignorant that the popular movie I had seen several times (in my younger days) was actually based on a book.
Judging from the cover illustration of Bastian Balthazar Bux doing his "King of the World" thing aboard the Luck Dragon, you get the feeling that this is no ordinary fantasy book, and indeed it isn't.
I did get the feeling that some aspects of the story were lost in translation (which is another story altogether), as it has some abrupt swings in tone, the dialogue sometimes seeming clumsy and childish compared to the rest of the book - but that's nitpicking.
This is truly a Neverending Story, most of which springs from the imagination of the unlikely human hero, the aforementioned Master Bux, who steals the titular tome, and flees with it to the safety of his school attic, where he becomes much more than a casual onlooker of the worlds of Fantastica.
Michael Ende's imagination works overtime in creating Fantastica and all its inhabitants, and for each thrilling chapter, he introduces another story to be told at another time.
The main story however, is the metamorphosis of Bastian Bux from a frightened, insecure child, and the new relationship he was able to forge with his father after his great learning adventure.
Be wary in your reading of the adventures of The Childlike Empress, Atreyu, Morla, Ygramul, Falkor, Grograman, Hero Hynreck and Xayide, among others, beware the Nothing, and be careful what you wish for, least you also become a part of the Neverending Story, and forever lose your memories of this life.
Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic experience, 29 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This book is an extraordinary experience, and it definitely is more than a children's book. It encourages the reader to force the limits of imagination, and question the dimensions of relativity. Ende introduces a crisp realm of childhood, blended with a high level of mature awareness of the universe...

5.0 out of 5 stars NES, 14 Jun 2010
F. Schubert "TechnoHeini" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Not Nintendo Entertainment System, but the Never Ending Story - another one of Ende's timeless classics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginitive and Captivating, 27 Jun 2000
By A Customer
When I first read this book, I picked it up and read right through the whole thing in one day. I read a lot, and I still clasify this as a classic, and one of the best books I ever read, without a doubt. Michael Ende's books are unique and imaginitive, full of strange creatures and happenings in the kingdom with endless counties. Bastian, the hero, is a normal, unperfect boy with no friends and a vivid imagination. In the adventure he enters, he finds out who he is and who he wants to be. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, engaging fantasy that's entertaining and though-provoking ..., 29 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Neverending Story (Paperback)
I've seen the first two films based on this book(the first is alot better than the sequel), but even then the films don't compare to how wonderful this book actually is. I read this earlier this year and I'm still amazed by it

It's one of those books you just can't put down, and you may have to re-read one of the chapters in particular to really understand what's going on in it, but once you do get it, you'll be in awe. Also, the breaking of the fourth wall, like in the film is pretty freaky, I reckon but still very clever.

And before you ask, yes, although the book does have an 'ending' but Ende has a way of putting it that you just know that this story will go on forever, into infinity. Genius, no other words can describe it.

The Neverending Story (Puffin Books)
The Neverending Story (Puffin Books) by Michael Ende (Mass Market Paperback - 29 Jan 2009)
6.57