5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, touching, thoughtful, reminiscent poems.
Published on 20 July 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant
I bought this to use with key stage two classes but its not that funny! I'm not fussed on it to be honest.
Published 3 months ago by Abbie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, touching, thoughtful, reminiscent poems., 20 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This marvellous poetry book NEVER leaves my classroom. When I have a 2min gap to fill with my Year 6 class this book becomes my life saver. Michael Rosen has successfully summed up the trials and tribulations of changing nappies, eating cake in secret, racing go-karts and dodging the washing up, all from his childhood perspective. A perfect book for reading out loud and a completely accessible read for children. Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars By Victoria & Callum- Y3, 26 April 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book because the pictures match the writing perfectly.
It is a collection of poems. Our teacher likes to read the really long ones like Chocolate Cake which always makes us feel hungry. Many of the poems involve people being silly. Callum's favourite in Bathtime and Victoria's is Eddie & the wallpaper.
This book is for children of all ages and for people to read out loud.
There is a poem for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 20 Aug 2010
R. Lyons "richiely" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I am an ex-primary school teacher, I can honestly say that Michael Rosen's poetry was the single best teaching aid I ever had for creative writing. I think it's absolutely fantastic stuff, so genuine, capturing all the childhood emotions perfectly, with both humour and pathos, and as such is so accessible for children. We would write our own "Down behind the dustbin" poems, write stories about Eddie (so sorry to hear that he died), and make up conversations between family members at mealtimes (to practice use of speech marks or reported speech, for example) - all using Michael Rosen poems (and especially "Quick, Let's Get Out of Here") as our inspiration. Actually, that word sums him up: an inspiration!
Also recommended: The Hypnotiser (although for some unfathomable reason, it's currently out of print)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still just as wonderful 20 years on!, 4 Sep 2009
Lucy Reynolds "Lucy" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
When I was 9 years old I remember my primary school teacher reading these poems out to the class. Everyone loved them back then as they were so different, and seemed so modern at the time. I distinctly remember "Chocolate Cake", I could almost taste that shiny icing cracking in my mouth! Years on, I was still being haunted by memories of these poems and had to track down the book. Finally, I found it and have had such fun re-reading it.

It's suitable for children aged about 6 upwards, and is a really good way of introducing longer rhymes to young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy memories of childhood, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Our teachers in infant school used to read this book to us all the time! We all adored these poems - they're funny, touching and highly memorable.
Tales of Eddie (usually throwing a wobbly), and the secret eating of the chocolate cake have stayed with me for years and years as happy reminders of primary school.

I recommend this book to any infant school teacher, and defy anyone who reads this book and doesn't enjoy it. Everyone should have a copy - I'm so happy that it's been re-published! I had to search eBay for a copy a few years back for my sister (who's now an infant school teacher), as I couldn't find it anywhere!

Michael Rosen came to my secondary school (mid-nineties) for a poetry reading, and I made a point of going to meet him to congratulate him on this book (what a geek!).

Happy, happy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry Magic, 31 Dec 2009
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I always had this book to hand when I was teaching. Children from year 2 to year 6 adored having a few minutes of these wonderful life poems at the end of the day.From "Chocolate Cake" to the Eddie adventures, - brilliant! Have just sent a copy to my 5 year old niece. Know she will love it.This is the sort of book which would encourage children to write about their own adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Easy to read and fun .Appeals to all age groups so great for reading to your young ones at bedtime.
Poetry can be fun,

1.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, 11 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read Aloud, 31 Mar 2014
teyman1 (Colchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Full of gems. Children love it. I've been reading these stories to classes since 1986 and they just don't age. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Quick let;s get out of here - is a brilliant anthology full of memoirs and poetry and stories.

Great reading out to family and translating in different languages! I bought this a gift for my sister, as she used to read to me when I was little. :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books)
Quick, Let's Get Out of Here (Puffin Books) by Michael Rosen (Paperback - 28 Mar 1985)
5.03