5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom - a book for life?!
I HAD to write a review on here.
I first read this book when I was about 10 and, 20 years later, still have the tatty copy which was once so shiny and new.
In all my years, in all the books I have read, I have never read a childrens book as powerful as this. Magorian draws from the reader a depth of emotions from joy through to utter despair as she takes you on...
Published on 30 Dec 2002 by C. Robson

3.0 out of 5 stars Shocking in parts
I have been reading snippets of Goodnight Mr Tom to my two children aged 8 and 9, as my partner and I take it in turns to read the bedtime story each evening. Although I think that the book is very good, and well-written, I have to mention that I was deeply shocked by the graphic portrayal of Will's abuse by his mother. The description of his condition at the beginning of...
Published on 7 May 2011 by Chocaholic

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Tape, 6 Nov 2004
I have to agree that the book is exceptional and a fantasic read.
I am a teacher and bought the Puffin audio tape to play to the class. I was however disappointed, as it is an abridged version and misses out so much of the detailed description that makes the book so hard to put down. So I thought it was a softer version of the book and not as tame as the video, and only a 3 1/2 hour playing time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mister Tom, 28 Aug 2010
I love this story. I've played the CD so many times that I nearly know the whole story word by word. This is both a sad and a happy tale about a poor London boy evacuated to live with and elderly man (Mr. Tom) in the country. Thank goodnes Mr. Tom is an inately sensible, practicl man and stands up against beaurocracy. Luckily the ending is happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very interesting and exciting book, 5 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Paperback)
When I read this book I sometimes found myself crying as it can be quite upseting at points. The book is mainly about a very poor little boy(William) learning to love an old man like a father. We look at Williams upseting past and how much a shy boy can change in the future when he has someone loving looking after him. The auther was very good at desctibing everything well in this book. You can get a really good picture of the scenes in your mind. I really enjoyed this book and could easily read it over and over again(even though it is a bit long!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb writing., 31 Mar 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a must read and also must purchase/watch DVD (starring John Thaw as Mr. Tom).

When young Willie Beech is evacuated to the country when the war starts he finds he is to be billeted with the rather curmudgeonly Widower, Mr. Tom Oakley. However, an odd and rather touching relationship develops between them and soon the frightened, beaten and malnourished little boy starts to come out of his shell and make friends with Mr. Tom and the children in the village.

The author paints an idyllic picture of country life before the war and just after it started. Everything is decribed in great detail right from the clothes the children wore, to the trees, the house in which Willie lives with Tom and to the school he attends. No description of anything is stilted and you actually start to feel that you are living in the cottage with Mr. Tom and Willie or Will as he prefers to be called. Mr. Tom as he is known by to Will, quickly finds out the little boy likes drawing and starts to encourage him by buying him some painting materials. Poor Will is overcome with emotion as it seems that no-one has ever been nice to him before.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable book and it made me wish for times gone by when you could run around outside on your own for hours on end without the worry of being molested. Every villager would look out for any child at any given time.

The book also made me cry in two places but to give away what places would spoil the pleasure for other readers. There is every emotion in this book from sadness to happiness to resignation, to fear and all extremely well written. Suffice to say, this has to be a classic and will be enjoyed by generations of children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was moving, 8 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This book was set in the time of the war. It has a moving story line and well worth reading for children 9-14

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will take you on an emotional rollercoaster., 10 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Night, Mr. Tom (Paperback)
William Beech and his relationship with Mr. Tom shows the reader the meaning of true love and what entails a family. This compelling story of an abused child finding comfort, safety, and love through this old man can encourage and give hope to others similar to Wil. This book is not only entertaining but powerful, displaying life events that most people face: starting a new life, making friends, death, and more. Readers who come to know this story will not be disappointed! I enjoyed reading this book because I could really relate to some of the things that Wil had to face. The way this book was written also helped me to feel apart of the book. A good book is when the story (its style, characters, setting, and plot) touches all the senses, which Goodnight, Mr. Tom does. It contains dialogue with words that help the reader understand the character's dialect and as a result, the reader becomes emersed into the setting of the book. Goodnight, Mr. Tom can also be used as a tool to reach all audiences--young children to adults. This book will take the reader on an emotional rollercoaster--from laughter to sadness to weariness to joy. I highly recommend this story for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Library Binding)
Read this book as part of my language course at University level while studying WW2.
Absolutely brilliant book, kept me interested all the way through. Couldn't put it down, even at the points where I shed a tear.
I really wanted to bring all the characters home and give them better way of life.
Would recommend this book to adults or children at Level D/E in Primary Schools

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye all other books; hello "Goodnight Mister Tom! ", 18 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I'd definately give this book more than five stars if I could. In my opinion, "Goodnight Mister Tom" is a fantastic book. It's a story full of excitement and lively characters. It brings to life the troubled war years and highlights the plight of evacuees. After reading about Willie's problems, it makes one consider present-day evacuees. We should never forget that wars are occurring all the time and, somewhere in this World, there is another Willie, trying to cope and survive an armed conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-!!!, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
The book is set at the start of the Second World War. A young boy named Willie Beech is evacuated to the country, and is placed with an old man called Tom Oakley, whom he calls Mister Tom. At first, Tom does not want the boy, but he comes to love him as Willie helps Tom to come to terms with the deaths of his wife and child more than 20 years ago. At the same time Willie, who was a sad, withdrawn child at the beginning of the book, slowly comes out of his shell; however, he receives a letter from his abusive, schizophrenic mother, who wants him to return to London immediately.........

I first came across this book in my fifth year of primary school (aged 10), when my teacher chose to read it to us. I am so glad that she did, as it is an amazing book which I have read again and again over the course of 12 1/2 years, and I am still not tired of reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very possibly the best book I have read, 7 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. You are more likely to have seen the film, but that is nothing compared to this. It is an evocative book bringing out emotions very well and a must read for teens and adults alike.
The story shows how a gruff old man can bring out his kind side for a little boy. Wonderfully crafted and written. A must.

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

Goodnight Mister Tom
Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (Paperback - 12 Sep 2003)