5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect & Pleasing School-based Poetry
This is a gently amusing and wittily accurate collection of poems set in a primary school. Contained within are poems that are destined to be classics such as 'Please Mrs Butler','Scissors','Supply Teacher','Reading Test' and 'Blame'.
The poems reflect all the varied aspects of the school day such as projects, tests, playtime, friendships, quarrels, dinner time and...
Published on 4 Mar. 2009 by Book Beaver

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the books content but the paper quality & small ...
Loved the books content but the paper quality & small size of this paper back make it a poor present.
Published 5 months ago by jack

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic kids poems, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I enjoyed these poems as a kid and now I've bought the book so my kids can enjoy them too :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what i wanted!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
my sister used to read this to me when i was a little girl and 18years later i managed to find it for her birthday! item in excellent condition as well which made it all the better. im not 4 anymore but i still love the poems and her reading them. wonderful book bought back great memories. dog in the playground still makes me laugh out loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Join in the fun, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I used this in my teaching careeer and was always having to replace it as it got worn out so soon...I have given it to members of the family too. It gets under the skin of how children feel, has good illustrations and although not poetry but rhyme gives a good boost to thelove of words and how they can be used for fun as well as some deep emotions. I use it in a talk on poetry and spirituality too with adults as some of the verses underline the more spiritual concepts of forgiveness etc. and the adults love it...the usual response is 'Great and I must buy it for the grandchildren as well as for myself!'

An inexpensive read with lots of chuckles and reminders of how we suffered or otherwis from the situations described.A good encouragement for those young people who say that reading is boring...it encourages them to stray further in the land of books.

Overheard in the Playground also by Alan Ahlberg is good but does not have the universal appeal of Please Mrs B. he has written a number ofother books that are fun and with his late wife's illustrations they are good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This book of poems is all about life in a primary school from the view of both children and teachers. Everybody will remeber those days and relate constantly to these poems. they are funny, witty and cleverly written. truly a must read for any age

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute joy when I was a kid, 6 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
When our class was introduced to this book in 1988, it was a big, big hit. There was a massive rush to be the one with the library's copy, and those lucky kids who were bought a copy by their parents (not me, unfortunately...) would bring it to school and we would all read the book out loud during playtimes. Honestly!

The poems were genuinely funny (for a 10-year old growing up in the 80s - not sure what today's super-cool cyber kids would make of it) and were a real delight to read out loud and memorise. Earlier this afternoon, at the age of nearly 33, I suddenly had the title poem going round and round in my head, still there from 23 years ago. I am pleased to see that this lovely book is still in print. Today I shall finally be buying my own copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, nostalgic read, 16 Nov. 2014
Emma Russon (Penryn, Cornwall, GB) - See all my reviews
I had a great night of nostalgia re-reading these. I remember exactly how my teacher used to read them to us and was really pleased to find that a lot of my favourites were included in the collection. Quick read but lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I remember the poems from this book from my primary school days - its well written and witty and excellent for all ages.
We bought this for our daughter this Christmas and she has read and chuckled her way through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars SO GOOD, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I bought this book because I had one in my childhood but lost it when I moved.
Brings back fantastic memories and some really good poetry.

Book had slight wear but only as described by seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always loved by teachers and children, 24 Jun. 2013
Had to buy a new copy as this is always well received by children. Got the Kindle version so that it is always available in my bag. Instantly recognised characters even though it is now getting on a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 28 April 2014
My 8 year old son loved this book, he really enjoyed reading the funny poems which he could relate too. We read the whole book in a day and he continues to read his favourite poems day after day

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books)
Please Mrs Butler: Verses (Puffin Books) by Allan Ahlberg (Paperback - 30 Aug. 1984)