5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of poems, good introduction for children
Published on 2 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars I Liked the poems - I didn't Love them !
I appreciate the fact that poems appeal aurally to children, especially with frequent repetition, but ( sadly ? ) modern children respond initially to a more visual stimulus. I think the book should be re-printed with illustrations, especially at the beginning, accompanying those poems chosen for the younger age group. My 4yr old grandaughter kept looking at the colourful...
Published on 13 Feb 2011 by Grandma J.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of poems, good introduction for children, 2 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: I Like This Poem: A Collection of Best-loved Poems Chosen by Children for Other Children in Aid of the International Year of the Child (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I was given this book at the age of eight, and at 30 I still love many of its poems, tho my copy is falling to bits. My stepchildren stopped all activity and listened when I read The Caterpillar's Song, looked a bit confused during Macavity the Mystery Cat and giggled about Oh I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth. There are great comic poems, but also more serious and thought-provoking poems. The range of ages contributing to the book's content make this such a great book to give to kids at an early age - they can find something to appeal to them whatever their mood and age. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read, 25 May 2000
By A Customer
Excellent poems from both famous and unrecognised poets. The children's reviews and choose are both inspiring and refreshing. A book for any age!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic foundation to childrens poetry., 13 Dec 2007
I also was given this book aged 7 in 1979. It has been read so much that I had my original copy rebound in hardback 10 years ago.

It has a fantastic range of poems which are grouped into different age groups for easy navigation. Accompanying each poem are the child's reasons why they chose to it to be included within the book. These insights, often charming, form a brilliant beginning for discussion about poetry with your child.

From a child's perspective the poems are quite simply a joy to read. Included within the collection are exciting, magical, funny, sad, scary and narrative poems. A suitable poem for every occasion and every taste, especially bedtime!

I would thoroughly recommend this book to all children, parents and poetry lovers and hope it also brings you as much pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 5 Aug 2007
A wonderful anthology which serves as a great introduction to the world of poetry.

I too received this poem as a present when I was about 6, and it has been a firm favourite ever since. I read my original copy so much that it fell apart by the time I was in my teens, and now my replacement copy is in tatters from being read each night to my little daughter, who adores it just as much as I did.

Though graded by age, from 6-7 year-olds, up to 14-year-olds, I started reading this to my little girl when she was just a baby, at first picking out just the cute, short, funny verse, then gradually introducing longer and more sophisticated poems.

This volume includes classic poems by Shakespeare, WH Auden, Robert Louis Stevenson, Lewis Carroll, Walter De La Mere, Tolkein, Robert Frost, A.A.Milne and many, many more. It does a great job of mixing the funny, serious, ridicuous and achingly beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic introduction to poetry, 25 Aug 2005
By A Customer
I had this book as a child and sadly my original 1979 edition has gone mouldy. As I now have children of my own I simply had to replace this, it's a great introduction to poetry, all the poems are collected into suitable age rannges and gave me hours of enjoyment, I just hope the replacement does the same for my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE This Poem, 18 Feb 2009
This is a brilliant collection which gave my daughter a love for language and meaning many years ago which still endures, and which I hope will instil the same love in my grandchildren.I must have bought at least four replacement copies over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars heskethhogg@btinternet.com, 18 Oct 2009
Mr. J. H. Hogg "Hesketh" (Durham UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this poetry book for a 9 YO boy, it is full of poems for all ages and I love it myself. The poems are set out for various age groups in sectione but I think they are all enjoyable for all the age groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-loved companion, 21 Aug 2009
Mary Davey (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
How wonderful to find this book still available. My original copy has survived, just, covered in transparent plastic film to preserve it; forward thinking by my mum no doubt. I also received it age 8 when it was first published and it has remained on my shelves since, often retrieved and dipped into.
Now I can buy it as a gift for the children I know and share my own copy with my children. Or perhaps I will have to buy them their own copy so I get to keep mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this poem, 28 Jun 2009
The book arived in good time and in excellent condition. I was replacing my somewhat battered old copy of this book which is a treasury of poems for different ages of child. Would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once all childrens books were this brilliant, 29 Oct 2011
When I was a girl, my bedroom was filled with books like this that could be opened for a giggle at the end of the day or to ward off boredom when stuck at home with a tummy ache. Hooray to the publishers for re-issuing this anthology of the type that inspired my own life long love of books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›