5.0 out of 5 stars The Kingdom Under The Sea and Other Stories, 28 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I read this book when I was 6 and have to write the first review because it is FANTASTIC! If you are buying a book for your children or as a gift this is the one! Not only are the illustrations by Jan Pienkowski brilliant but the stories are all romantic, spellbinding (if a little gory as all the best fairy tales are) and unlike anything you will have read before. If it is like another book it would be Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales or a Roald Dahl classic. Amongst the tall tales my favourites are Baba Yaga - which surprised me by recently appearing in The Weakest Link as a question, The Reed Girl and The Sun God's Castle. A seriously excellent children's book - definitely buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but strange, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is a great little book of Fairtytales. However, I think I should add the warning that some are a little bit... strange. As with everything, read them yourself before reading them aloud to a child! They certainly aren't all "happily ever after" tales, although most end well.

That said, the book is one that I would recommend, and Jan Pienkowski's illustrations are amazing, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations, haunting tales, 22 Jun 2013
I bought these on a nostalgic whim and mainly for the illustrations as they are so beautiful, I'd forgotten how haunting the stories are. Overall a very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 Dec 2009
C. Murray - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is probably the most beautiful book I own. My mum gave it to me when I was about 9 or 10, and I've just been rediscovering it. I'm not sure there's much else to say!

5.0 out of 5 stars a treasure!, 19 Dec 2011
A. Roberts "Colonel haha" (France) - See all my reviews
Combine wonderful prose, fabulous stories, and incredible art work and you have a gem of a book. I've bought this for my 8 yr old but after pre reading it to check its suitability I've not been able to bring myself to wrap it yet, preferring to have a little browse each evening. I'm going to find it hard to give away, even to my own daughter! I don't think it's a book for younger than 8 ish: probably would please, but much younger might not quite get so much out of the pictures and stuff.
A miniature work of art.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 25 Jun 2013
I bought this as I used to have a copy as a child which went missing ages ago. It still enthralls me at the age of 40 as much as it did 33 years ago! The illustrations used to fascinate me as a child and the stories and pictures are just ageless. I recommended to any child with an imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 May 2014
Mrs. S. Leavesley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
We have an enormous collection of Joan Aiken's books in our house. I loved them as a child and my children now enjoy them too. Her writing is full of imagination and spirit, peopled with characters who leap out of the pages and become great friends. Her Wolves of Willoughby Chase series is brilliant but I love her short story collections too. They read like forgotten fairy tales. One of my favourite things about her writing is the way she will take an every day situation and twist it to include fantastical elements such as griffin's eggs or the three furies coming to visit, as if it were perfectly natural that such things should happen.
A wonderful writer who deserves to be better known.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Aiken master story teller, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Joan Aiken has written/compiled some wonderful stories and together with Jan Pienkowski's pictures they are some of my favourites from when I was a child. I intend to buy the whole collection of her work for my own children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 May 2013
Fantastic story book for children, my children and class have both enjoyed it! Have had some fantastic writing from year 1 and year 2 on the strength of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful art work, 1 May 2013
Great hard backed book full of amazing pictures and captivating, magical stories. My kids found these unusual tales really different from the traditional well known stories, they were more exciting. My 11 year old enjoyed reading this book by herself, however it makes a great reading aloud book to younger kids as the stories are not too long. The tales are also not too "sugar coated" ,they have some scary twists! GREAT!!

The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books)
The Kingdom Under the Sea (Puffin Books) by Joan Aiken (Paperback - 25 Oct 1973)
Used & New from: 0.01