5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Memories
Published on 19 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't read it. A present for someone else!
Didn't read it. A present for someone else!
Published 1 month ago by Ian Hannah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Memories, 19 Dec 2003
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
I adored Milly-Molly-Mandy stories as a little girl, and now, 25 years later, I rediscovered them for reading to my daughter. I wondered if, at 4, she was a little too young to enjoy Joyce Lankester Brisley's (now) rather old fashioned style of writing, but how wrong could I be. We read a chapter a night, and although there's more narrative than conversation, the simple, sweet stories and beautiful illustrations have captured my daughter's imagination, often making her laugh out loud. This book is a joy to read together and as we're now on the last chapter, I'm just about to order the other three volumes. I'm particularly delighted that Puffin have retained the charming illustrations that I loved so much as a child. Buy it - Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories will enchant adult and child alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Memories, 22 Dec 2003
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
I loved Milly-Molly-Mandy as a child and was delighted to rediscover her to read to my own daughter. At 4, I wondered if she was a little young to enjoy the now rather old-fashioned style with less conversation than some more modern books, but Milly-Molly-Mandy's adventures with her friends and family have captured my daughter's imagination and this has become her favourite book. Each simple, sweet chapter makes perfect bedtime reading and I'm particularly delighted that Puffin have retained the original, beautiful illustrations. A joy for adults and children alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Milly Molly Mandy Stories, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
I recall enjoying these stories in primary school as a child and I have just started ordering the series for my 7 year old daughter. Not only does she love reading them, but also having them read to her as a bedtime story.
'Milly Molly Mandy Stories' is the first book in the series that my daughter received and as soon as we had finished reading it together she asked for the next book in the series!
The stories are simple but prove that true pleasure often comers from the simplest of things that occur in everyday life. The pleasure from making things as presents for others, the joy of sharing with friends, the respect shown for nature, the responsibility taught to a little girl to think of others as well as herself. Ordinary situations can be wonderful opportunities for learning about how to gain the most out of life.
I recommend this book (and the others in the series) to any parent of young children (probably more suited to little girls than boys)and also for anyone wishing to give a treasured gift to any small child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book of stories, 20 Feb 2005
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
A friend of mine called who lives in London gave Milly Molly Mandy to me. I got this book when I was three and I'm still going to be reading it when I'm 25 years old. There are lots of stories to make ourself happy and joyful. My name is Fiona Alice Hitchcock, I am aged six and a half. The special thing I like about Milly Molly Mandy is that she has short, strait hair. I wish I could read more stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I remembered it, 24 Aug 2010
Jean (New Forest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
This is one of the books I learned to read over 70 years ago, so I was delighted to find that it was still available. My little 5 year old granddaughter is just growing out of picture books with simple stories and I find it difficult to find something for her age group. She loves being read these stories as much as I did when I was her age.

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 and still going, 23 Feb 2004
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
Well i had this book read to me when i was 4... and im still reading it at 17. I read it to my little sister.. now 5.. and she, like me loves it.
The vocabulary and tone of the book is perfect for all ages. You cant find any book like it.. its one of a kind.. and will stay with you forever..
i can still remember the line from every story.. "with father, and mother, and grandma and grandpa..."
sweet memories.. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars milly molly mandy, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
When I recently cleared my childhood family home I came across a very well read Milly Molly Mandy book, i passed it to my youngest son of three (7years) and explained that it was my favorite book as a child. He happily read the stories at bedtime for a week, then one day brought the book back down with tears on his face. When I asked what was wrong he simply stated, that he wanted to be Milly Molly Mandy. I gave him a hug, explaining that was why everyone loved the books, and to use the stories to dream lovely dreams, and managed to get him back to sleep with the promise of making some lemonade. So that's my review, Milly Molly Mandy books are delightful and inspiring, even for rufty tufty, tree climbing,football playing, and to be honest quite rude sometimes, little boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
My grandson is just starting to read so it is great to have a book with lots of illustrations, especially the street map in the front so we can keep checking where they all live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories, 17 Jan 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
As a child I loved the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories and now my own daughter enjoys reading the stories herself. In this first book we are introduced to Milly-Molly-Mandy, her family, friends and the lovely little village she lives in. These are gentle, sweet and heart warming stories and perfect for a child to read alone or to have read to them. My little girl loves the stories where Milly-Molly-Mandy keeps shop and when the teacher comes to stay the best. In an ever changing world, it is delightful to find these books still as they were originally published, including the map of the village and Milly-Molly-Mandy's striped dress. These are truly delightful books and still relevant today as they deal with universal themes of friendship, growing up and doing everyday things children can relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars as wonderful for my daughter and for me and my mother, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (Paperback)
I loved MMM as a child and firmly believed (as she told me) that it was about my mother as a child. As the book was written in 1928 and Mum born in Ayrshire in 1934 and grew up with her mother, grandmother and assorted maiden aunts, in a white cottage, it wasn't hard to believe that she was the model. I've just read this with my daughter who was five last week and is as utterly entranced as I was and desperate to keep shop, make a cosy and ride in a pony and trap... A complete joy (for us both).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories
Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley (Paperback - 25 Jan 1973)