5.0 out of 5 stars A Story For Children That Captures The Spirit Of Christmas, 20 Nov. 2005
Daniel J Scullion (Dover, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first read this book when I was a small child in the 1960's and without doubt it is an enchanting tale suitable for both boys and girls of any age.
The book captures the real meaning of Christmas at every level and is told through the eyes of a small girl who longs for a doll in a toyshop but more importantly a family.
The book had been out of print for a number of years and I am pleased that it is now back in circulation. Last year just before Christmas I managed to get hold of a secondhand edition through Amazon and read the story to my own children. Reading it in instalments prior to Christmas they were totally captivated by the story, so much so we are reading it again together this December.
I would wholly recommend the purchase of this book for your children you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Wishes are powerful things", 21 Dec. 2007
Oxford Bookworm "RGT" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is without doubt my favourite children's Christmas story. As it says right at the beginning, "This is a story about wishing", and it tells how a little orphan girl named Ivy wishes for a doll to hold and a family to love her at Christmas, and of a Christmas doll named Holly who wishes for a child to own her, but remains unsold when the toy shop closes on Christmas Eve. There is also a woman with no children of her own who would love a little girl to look after. How the three wishes interact is told delightfully in this enchanting book. I used to read it to my daughters when they were children, and more recently to my granddaughter. But I sometimes read it to myself, as I enjoy it so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A christmas classic, 6 Feb. 2009
I read this to my little girls every christmas. And every time I cry so hard I can barely finish it. Truly beautiful. And a lot happier than 'The little match girl'!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, 12 Oct. 2011
E. Bowen (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful but unsentimental story of a girl who needs a family, and a family who needs a child. And there is a doll, too, who also needs a loving home. They all find one another in an unexpected and moving way. For ages around 7-9.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical book, 3 Jan. 2011
I read this book when I was about 9 or 10 and loved it. My copy therefore is really old and has a page missing but I was delighted to be able to buy a copy for my nieces on amaZon last year. I still read it every year to get myself into the Christmas spirit. It is so magical and a really captivating story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 4 Mar. 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Story of Holly and Ivy (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is a lovely Christmas fairy story, which deserves to be republished, despite the fact that it is a little old fashioned. The story of an orphaned girl called Ivy and her search for a home at Christmas time, and how the power of magic brings her together with a family who love her and a doll who needs to be loved, is delightful. It is a perfect length for younger readers who are just beginning to move away from picture books. The pen and ink illustrations complement the story beautifully and the whole thing is just perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 18 Oct. 2012
This is such a lovely story and a real Christmas classic. I read it with my daughter when she was about 8-9 years old and she LOVED it! The story captivated her imagination and stimulated lots of discussion.If you have a little girls of this age I would def recc it, but is a lovely story to read aloud to to a slightly younger girl too (prob though recc for junior age group). We borrowed our copy from the library but just ordered it now so we can enjoy it all over again this Christmas with her little sister! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tale, 13 Dec. 2008
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Story of Holly and Ivy (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Ivy is an orphan who wishes she could find her imaginary grandmother. Meanwhile, another lady wishes she had a little girl to call her own. A toyshop has a lonely doll called Holly who is wishing for a little girl to love her. One day in the Christmas season Ivy is sent to stay with a foster carer. However, she decides to go and look for her grandmother. What follows is a charming tale that captures the spirit of Christmas in a timeless manner. If ever there was a season for wishes to come true then Christmas is it. Read this delightful tale to discover if these characters get their heart's desires.

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical christmas story., 27 Mar. 2014
I read this every year when I was a little girl and I recently got another copy to read to my son. Its a christmas story but we are reading it in March! (because I love it so much) A wonderful story about wishing, a homeless orphan, a childless lady, and a little christmas doll left on the shelf on the toy shop at christmas eve...and how they all find each other. Simply magical x x x

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Christmas story., 17 Dec. 2013
I'm all grown up & read this on the train to work: warmed my heart in the midst of TFL rat race.

The Story of Holly and Ivy (Puffin Books)
The Story of Holly and Ivy (Puffin Books) by Rumer Godden (Paperback - 25 Nov. 1971)
Used & New from: £0.01