5.0 out of 5 stars A great pleasure!
As a child I loved the moomins and read all the books. Finn Family Moomintroll was the first I read and has always held a special place in my canon of favourite children's books.
Published on 12 Sep 2003 by Sunwitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Just don't get why its so popular
I just don't get what people love about the books. I had this recommended but both I and the kids found this rather boring, and two thirds of the way through lost interest something I have rarely done. Obviously I am in a minority here. There was some charm in parts of it which is why its getting 2 stars, but overall I just didn't find this an interesting a story.
Published 20 months ago by Chess Quant

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pleasure!, 12 Sep 2003
What a pleasure then, to read it to my children now. The book has lost none of its charm and the children love it. A magic hat, clouds that you can fly on, adventures at sea, a house that turns into a jungle, what child could resist these enchantments?
But the real impact of the book lies in the characters. Although not the first in the series, this book provides perhaps the best introduction to the charming Moomintroll and his family, to the fiercely independent Snufkin, the bashful Snork Maiden, the logical Snork, the every-child Sniff and their friends.
The book was written before Tove Jansson moved into the rather darker mood that characterises some of the later moomin books, and the warmth, simplicity, kindliness and love for the character and their surroundings that characterise Finn Family Moomintroll make it ideal for younger readers and a great pleasure for their parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolute delight!, 12 Mar 2003
Debbie Friedman (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As someone who was not fed a diet of moomins, moomins and more moomins as a kid I can confirm that it is not pure nostalgia for bygone days that keeps these books is print. There is a compulsive quality of sweetness and innocence in the Moomin series that is difficult to find in most modern hectic lives. It leaves the reader with a renewed appreciation of the simple things in life and a determination to make some time for simple but delightful pursuits: reading, walking, noticing nature (at least that's how I feel after dipping in to the world of the Moomins!)
Moominland midwinter is certainly the best of the bunch. Moomintroll wakes up in the middle of winter whislt all the rest of the family are still hibernating. He discovers a winter wonderland full of weird characters that he had been completely unaware of in his previous sleepy winters.
If you have never read any Moomin books before, now is as good a time as any to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer delight, 7 July 2006
Francis Pickett "fjp" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
Difficult to add much to the existing reviews, but I would like to put in a word for the translator, who seems to have captured the lyrical prose perfectly. Translation of words without exact equivalents must be very difficult, but it has been done quite seamlessly and the stories are a delight to read. They are comfortable but not anodyne, inventive but not implausible, adventurous but not scary. I loved them when I was young and I still do.

As someone else said (of another Moomin book), you read a chapter to your child, and then read the rest of it yourself when they've gone to sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant sunshine on the darkest of days., 1 Feb 2010
Finn Family Moomintroll absolutely delighted me as a child, and continued to delight me when my reading tastes became extremely serious and intellectual in my middle teens (Dostoyevski!) When I was getting rid of my childhood books, FFT was never a reject. Even an intense teenager into heavy duty Russian literature had the sense to see this book would last a lifetime.

I've really enjoyed all the other clearly adult reviewers waxing lyrical about Tove Jansson's books. In adulthood I discovered Moomintroll and his wonderful family were a series of books, and its been as an adult that I've bought and enjoyed the rest of the series.

As many reviewers have noted, Jansson has a warm, quirky, imaginative and unpatronising view of her world and its strange creatures. Moomimamma with her handbags, cuddly warmth and excellent cooking, dreamy Moominpappa, Moomintroll and his friends are as delightful company to a small child as to a large much older child-disguised-as-or-pretending-to-be-adult.

The beautiful writing is accompanied by Jansson's wonderful pen and ink illustrations.

Lest this all seems as if its impossibly fluffy and anodyne - there's enough darkness loss and fearfulness within the pages to satisfy a small child's desire to BE a little frightened, from time to time - but its not at a level which might mean your small one wakes screaming from a terrible nightmare!

There are so many delights to discover within the pages of the book. Look out for the outlandish words on the loose and the fluffy clouds that can be ridden!

................and I can still hear Snufkin playing that most welcoming and happy of tunes 'all small creatures have bows in their tails'

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Years Old & Still In Love With The Moomins, 22 Oct 1998
By A Customer
As an American, I consider myself extremely fortunate to have discovered the Moomin books when I was in elementary school. I devoured the entire series, and read them continuously throughout my teen years. One of the greatest pleasures I've had in life is to introduce the Moomin books to my favorite young people. Although Finn Family is not the first book in the Moomin Series, I recommend starting with it. It promises to hook you for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me as much pleasure at 35 as it did aged 5, 31 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Seeing the Moomins again on cable tv renewed my interest in these lovable, fun loving and very cool Finnish characters. So much so I went off to retrieve my old books from the family library in France.Tove Jansson is something special and her work is as good reading for adults as it is for kids. If you want something to cheer you up then the Moomins are just the ticket. Start off with Finn Family Moomintroll. Moominpapa at Sea is my personal favourite - a mid life crisis in a children's book!

4.0 out of 5 stars More beautifully haunting adventures from Moominvalley, 28 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Moominsummer Madness (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Although this book isn't the strongest in the series, it still makes for a great read. The Moomins take up the life of actors (bizarrely!)during a flood of Moominvalley and Jansson, as always, shows this in a light that sets her apart from other authors of the same genre. It never ceases to amaze me how I could appreciate her books as a 10 year old and now nearly 20 years on I'm reading the same novel in the same way but with a completely different spin. This is an excellent read for adults and children alike. Don't stop here though, there's a wealth of Moomin related adventures to discover. This book and it's companions will entertain for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful whimsy!!!, 17 July 2006
This review is from: Moominsummer Madness (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I grew up with the Moomins on tv, but I never actually read any of the books. Untill now. And what fun and whimsical stuff this is. So much better than tv. T. Jansson's wonderful illustrations, the utter madness and whimsy of it all. It is just pure fun to read.

I reckon you have to be a bit mad and whimsical yourself to "get" these books, and they're all about. But wow, they will be around forever!

Moominsummer Madness tells the story of when the Moominvalley is flooded by a huge tidal wave. The Moomin house is lost and the family, with some new friends, move into a floating, abandoned theatre! Great fun for all of the family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Birthday Moomintroll!, 11 Sep 2009
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It's Moomintroll's 65th birthday in 2010, though he still looks very young and modern. Unfortunately the Moomintroll Museum is too far to visit (unless you're lucky enough to live in Finland with its beautiful scenery and interesting weather) so it's just as well Puffin have produced this new, handsome hardback edition of Finn Family Moomintroll so his friends across the world can join in the celebrations.

Tove Jansson's perenially popular characters seem almost wasted on the young and her monsters (the Groke appears in this book) can be genuinely frightening. But luckily there are always lots of adventures and surprises, such as collecting salvage from the beach on Lonely Island and having a party to celebrate Moominmamma being reunited with her handbag, though finding the Hobgoblin's enchanted hat proves to be something of a mixed blessing. The illustrations mean even the youngest reader will find something to enjoy.

Finn Family Moomintroll is a perfect book, for children and other wise people. I wouldn't change a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Sweet, 24 Mar 2008
C. Johnson (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
After a gap of over 40 years, it's great to be reading these wonderful books again. I started with 'Finn Family Moomintroll' because I vaguely remembered this one as including most if not all of the regular characters that inhabit Moomin valley. According to other reviewers, and the noted Jansson biographer Marie Lecomte, some of the later books in the series show a slightly darker side, and hint at a troubled author. Vaguely reminiscent of Tolkein, I can't imagine that Tove Jansson ever troubles the reader to the same extent.
The author is never afraid to bring the reader away from the 'safety zone' briefly, but somehow we always trust in the 'rightness' of her world. It was very touching when Moomin's feelings for Snufkin were revealed later in the book...but in 'Moomin world' the individual's characters are universally respected, and everyone accepted in their own way.
All in all, a delightful book with so many great adventures for children of ALL ages! Highly recommended!

Moominsummer Madness (Puffin Books)
Moominsummer Madness (Puffin Books) by Tove Jansson (Paperback - 27 Feb 2003)