5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly written book for all ages

Published on 12 Jan 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly written book for all ages, 29 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Earthfasts (Signature) (Paperback)
I first read Earthfasts when I was eleven, I have just re-read it aged 39, and I remembered parts of it word for word. It is a glorious quirky book with just the right level of sinister anxiety,levened with an earthy (appropriately) humour. the plot is complex and (as an eleven year old)daunting. I tend to skim-read, but this book forces you to slow down and enjoy the words. This is definitely not a book for children only. Anyone can enjoy travelling the dense dark roads of Mayne's imagination. possibly the best fantasy novel of the last 50 years. certainly my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you'll still remember as an adult., 5 Jan 2003
This review is from: Earthfasts (Signature) (Paperback)
When I was a child, nothing irritated me so much as an adult recommending a book by telling me how much they enjoyed it as a child! But I can't resist recommending this one; I first read it about 30 years ago and remembered it ever since. Coming across my old copy packed away in a box, I re-read it, expecting to be slightly let down - but I was pleased to find all the ingredients that had endeared it to me in the first place: time-travel, magic, history, myth and legend, realistic setting and characters.... the list goes on. And more than that, I found that this was a book which had helped form my reading preferences ever since I first read it! Here's one I think everybody should have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earthfasts, 18 Nov 2003
David Rossiter (Halesowen, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earthfasts (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
A great book combining the timeless mythology of English past, and pre-past, with the modern affairs of the mid Twentieth Century.
William Mayne leaves a nostalgic and yearning feeling in the mind of the reader, with his deep descriptions and enhancing knowledge of tales strongly etched into the countryside of a living land, which sleeps, ready for a time when it will reawake.
The land disturbs in its sleep as Mayne clearly allows nature to grow with a fast flowing storyline of comfy yet dark proportions. A must for anyone who has read Alan Garner's 'The Wierdstone of Brisingamen' or C.S Lewis' 'Chronicles of Naria.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Earthfasts (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I saw the BBC production of Earthfasts in 1994 as a wide-eyed, highly impressionable child. I then promptly forgot the title and spent the next 18 years trying to remember what that awesome TV show was with the drummer boy in the tunnel, I didn't even know it was a book.
Now that I've found Earthfasts again and was able to read it, I can see why the story stuck with me for so long. The main characters are philosophical in a way that I've rarely seen in children's books, especially the old-beyond-his-years David, the air of mystery surrounding the whole town and the fantastical creatures that appear in it make for a cracking read.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a very poor book, 12 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Earthfasts (Signature) (Paperback)
I had read one of Mayne's cathedral books as a child, and thought it was one of the best books I had ever read (I hope to re-read it soon, when I'm sure that opinion will be confirmed) and so I turned to his fantasy "classic" with great enthusiasm, and left it some hours later in great disappointment. The book is very well written, but the plot is never convincing, things happen which make no sense, even in the world of children's fantasy, and compared to His Dark Materials, which I had read a few months previously, this book is a dismal failure. However, would His Dark Materials have been possible without William Mayne, Alan Garner etc? Perhaps not, but Pullman has outstripped his predecessors by a long, long way.

Earthfasts (Puffin Books)
Earthfasts (Puffin Books) by William Mayne (Paperback - Mar 1969)
Used & New from: 0.01