5.0 out of 5 stars Out of it
Published on 18 Feb 2005 by A. Morrell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I bought this, as did most of the others I am sure, assuming it would contain a recognisable humour and 'silliness' that characterised the other artistic output of its author. I must admit I am rather disappointed as it really does not seem to be funny, or even put together/written with much thought. Hopefully my daughter will enjoy it more than I do - after all it is for...
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by sweetpea

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of it, 18 Feb 2005
A. Morrell "medtheveg" (york, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I first came across this book as a 5 year old, it was read to us in the classroom by a relief teacher and I have loved it ever since (a life changing experiance). I can still remmember all of String and Worm from 30 years ago, so I have had to buy it for my Daughter (7 months old) but until she is old enough to appreciate it I'll keep it safe for her. Ideal for any child big or small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cumpulsory Reading, 2 Mar 2005
**********
WARNING: This book may seriously affect you for the rest of your life.
Today I saw a little worm,
Wiggling on his belly,
Perhaps he'd like to come inside,
And see whats on the telly.
This book is the reason I smiled in my school photo, aged 6.
It belonged to my Mum when she was younger and now it's falling apart.
It's still fantastic to return to as an adult. Spike Milligan knocks spots of Dr Seuss and Edward Lear,
to call this a book of "nonsense poems" would be an insult, they make perfect sense and are surreally beautiful, as are Milligan's illustrations/diagrams.
These poems put some very, very funny pictures in my head when I was small and I haven't recovered.
**********

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly, silly, silly, 10 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This book is very, very, very silly! My favourite poems are The Land Of The Bumbley Boo and On The Ning Nong Nong. The words make your tongue feel funny and your head act silly. If you read it you'll feel silly! Martha Ives (aged 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars SPIKE IS KING, 17 Jan 2003
Spike is King!
A collection of bizaar, thoughtful and quirky snippets from Milligan's fantastically creative mind. I loved these as a child and have re-discovered them as an adult. A fine purchase for children aged 0 - 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get exactly what you'd expect, 12 Oct 2009
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Spike milligan deliver exactly what you would expect lots of silly verse for kids
eg "today I saw a little worm wriggling on its belly, perhaps you'd like to come inside and see whats on the telly"
If you find that sort of thing funny, as I do, then you'll love this book. I cant believe this is the only Spike book I own. I'll have to something about that.
Nursery rhymes and silly verse are the stepping stones to a lifetime love of poetry and literature. In an age when nursery rhymes are alleged to be dying out (alledged I dont believe its true) then this book could offer an alternative to the traditional nursery rhyme.
The book is quite small and black and white and in reality not much content, but I guarantee you'll remember and recite your favouries many many times.
I was lucky enough to see Spike in his one man show at Wolverhampton Civic a few years ago, he invited questions from the audience, he had the audience in his hand within the first 5 minutes and I was very sad when he died.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 16 May 2008
Humpty Dumpty (Wall St, Upton Snodsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Just a really, really nice book, full of silliness and madcap humour. Spike was tuned in to children's wavelength like no one else. How he did this while suffering from depression and madness no one knows. How tragic that he suffered himself while giving such joy to so many people.

The child isn't born who wouldn't love these verses!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing experience, 22 Sep 2006
3 Mugs (Rochester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I am 38 years old at the time of writing, and I can still recite about a dozen of these poems from memory. My copy went to my sister, and between us we broke it. But both of us still recite poems to each other. Now I have a little boy, I have the perfect excuse to buy a new copy (although in truth, I have looked in bookshops with no success way before he was even thought of). So here it is, handily reprinted, so that my young 'un can learn the joys of the ning nang nong, the bongaloo, the emperor of China and ooey-gooey the worm. Silly can be genius too. Treat yourself to some silliness and stay smiling forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars First on the shelf, next to Winnie the Pooh!, 9 Aug 2009
Ms. Felicia Davis-burden (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Divinely silly, glorious verses for kids of any age by the wonderfull Spike Milligan.

My dad gave me this book when I was 4 or 5, and I soon memorised 'Mary Pugh was nearly two, when she went outdoors...' because it had me in hysterics. I still recite it now, at age 43, whenever I need a little cheering up. And it works!

Spike Milligan was a comic genius, whose brilliant silliness could be appreciated by all agegroups. And who can resist the delightfully bonkers 'On the Ning Nang Nong'? Only a miserable old fool!

Thanks dad and god bless Spike!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to Spike Milligan, 21 July 2011
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Bought this for my five year old son but I had to read it first! It's great and my son has had a good giggle reading it too. He loved the little quirky drawings that go along with the poems. The only negative is that the book is a little thin, the copy is not printed to 100% black and the font size could do with going up a point or two to make it easier to read. Overall? we like Spike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A varied selection, for all the family, 5 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This would be an ideal coffee table book, with something for all gererations, who like poetry, and even those which don't. A dirrerent side of Spike Milligan, which you may not be aware of.

Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books)
Silly Verse for Kids (Puffin Books) by Spike Milligan (Paperback - 25 Jan 1973)