5.0 out of 5 stars Start here for Moomins
I hadn't read a Moomin book in 30 years, and (like so many) started again because my own son was of an age for them.
They're quite, quite, beautiful.
As children's books, they work well. Small peculiar creatures have amusing adventures, in stories just the right size for bedtime. They're not the only series of such tales, but they're one of my favourites...
Published on 12 Oct 2001 by Andy Dingley

2.0 out of 5 stars Swimming against the tide....
Published on 24 July 2011 by Caterina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Great book, delivered quickly. I would recommend it to anyone, magical story for kids and adults. One of my favourite childhood stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back to my childhood., 27 Jan 2014
Lovely book, I first read it when I was 9 years old and I loved it then. It was great to read it again after so many years and it's just as good a read as an adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and imaginative writing., 22 Jun 2013
J. Marden (Cardiff, South Wales) - See all my reviews
Read these as a child and still go back to the Moomintroll stories for a nostalgic childhood trip down memory lane.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 5 Jan 2013
A wonderfully written book about moomintroll and his friend sniff setting off on a huge adventure and making lots of new friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to brush your soul, 18 April 2012
Julie D (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
A magical book - not just for children - with line drawings by Tove Jansson that really enhance appreciation of a wonderfully diverse range of characters. A sense of anticipation and heightened awareness permeates the book as everyone awaits the arrival of the comet to the dark and mystical Scandinavian landscape of Moominland. As in the best children's books, Jansson sheds light on the adult world as much as on her imaginary country and all is executed with her usual deft touch. A colossal writer whose depth becomes apparent the older you grow, Jansson will connect you with the way you felt at significant points of your life without even mentioning sex, life and death. If the whole point of any art form is to concretize the abstract this woman truly succeeds and is a consummate artist of the highest order. Buy this for a child and they'll be a devotee for life. Possibly the best illustration in this book is featured on the cover - if ever there was a better visual depiction of the awe and admiration that comes from the deep infatuation that can transmute into love than the way Moomintroll beholds his Snorkmaiden as she pins her medal on his chest I've yet to find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 8 Jan 2013
Mrs. Jd Rumble "Gallowaylady" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Tove Jansson...her books are always a joy and do not date. If you love Winnie the Pooh you will love these books too

5.0 out of 5 stars Review 44, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This was given to my grand-daughter as a present. She hasn't read it yet.
It arrived promptly and in perfect condition. Thanks. D.T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comet in Moominland, 31 Jan 2013
Ratbag (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
The book seems to be as I expected it on a cursory glance. I have not read the book as yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Swimming against the tide...., 24 July 2011
Caterina (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I have got a lot of respect for Amazon reviews, and it worries me a bit that my reaction to this book differs so much from that of other reviewers. I didn't like it at all. Before embarking on it, I'd been reading the Magic Wishing Chair to my son at bedtime. I didn't think a lot of that (let's not get started on the deficiencies of Enid Blyton) but after a couple of nights of Moomin world I found myself thinking "Come back Enid! All is forgiven!".
I thought the book was strained and padded out with little emotional impact and barely any sense of place or magic or mystery. The story line didn't work for me and the book as a whole felt very artificial - as though an idea had been horribly over developed. I didn't think it lived up to the reviews on here and I just don't understand why so many people think so much of it.
There are many children's books that I enjoy reading and that I think have something important to say about children's concerns - but this wasn't one of them. I actually found myself flicking surreptitiously through the pages as I read it aloud, longing to get to the end: "Only 5 pages more of this chapter, hooray! Only 2 chapters, bliss!"
But I'm not the target audience, am I? My 6 year old quite liked it. I wouldn't say he was mad about it. He talked a bit about it in the daytime which is a good sign - but not nearly as much as he has about other books we've read. Honestly, though, I really hated reading it to him. It hurt. After finishing it we moved onto The Tree that Sat Down and I was immensely relieved.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books)
Comet in Moominland: 1 (Puffin Books) by Tove Jansson (Paperback - 22 Feb 1973)