‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my 9 year old boy really excited about reading!, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
My son is 9 years old and typically does not enjoy reading - I would say that he has an average reading ability for his age. We have tried many books to try to get him reading of his own accord, but had mediocre results. We got this book through an Amazon recommendation and when it arrived really didn't hold out much hope that he would get to grips with it. But we persevered and encouraged him to read a chapter to me or his Dad at bedtime each night and we did help him out with some words that he'd never encountered before (e.g., abalone, Aleuts to name but a few) in the first couple of chapters. It's also written in a more old-fashioned style (don't let that put you off though) - we encouraged him to ask questions about what stuff meant and he has done that repeatedly. We are more than half way through the book now and we can already see the improvement in his reading, making sentences more interesting to listen to by emphasis and use of the punctuation. The first couple of nights he groaned about having to read the book, but then it got him and he's pestered us ever since to listen to him read! How fabulous is that?! We're now more than half way through and he said last night that he didn't want to finish the book because he'd miss reading it! Then, as he was reading, I could hear the emotion in his voice at one point and was surprised to see tears running down his face - he was totally submerged in the story and feeling the emotion of the story - I explained to him that he had nothing to feel embarrassed about as I firmly believe that to feel the story so vividly is the mark of a truly great book and a great author. He's turned a real corner and this is the book that has done it - I just hope to find another book that excites him as much as this one has!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is a heroine motivated by love who learns self-reliance, 2 Dec 1997
By A Customer
I read this book at age 11 and am now close to the forty mark but when girlfriends asked me cynically whether any book had ever had the power to change my life. I instantly said yes, and that book was Island of the Blue Dolphins! It is a book that not only features a girl as a strong character but it celebrates her resoursefullness, humanity, earth -conscious ingenuity, and hard work. She can create what she needs with her own two hands and think problems through to a solution. I believe she was the first real, non-comic, heroine I had ever read of and in my mind she is still the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Island of the blue dolphins by Scott o'Dell, 25 Oct 2002
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Island of the blue dolphins is based on a true story about a girls struggle for survival when she is stranded on a lonely and deserted island.
Once populated by her and her tribe but after they are killed by Aleuts and the rest of the tribe flee to another island leaving her and her brother Ramo stranded there. After the death of her brother 12 year old Karana must adapt to life on this harsh and dangerous island now populated by many species of animals like wild dogs and sea creatures.
I would definately recommend this book to people over the age of 10 as parts are hard to understand sometimes with the type of language used. This book is definately 10/10 as every chapter unfolds more excitement and adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karana: Tenacious and Hopeful Hero, 24 Jun 2005
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
As a child, my grade school librarian wore out from me asking to borrow so often. Later, as a private tutor, my students chose this again and again. "Island of the Blue Dolphins" lives up to its reputation as one of the greatest children's book ever.
Libraries are good for borrowing books, but some books should be on the shelf of any young reader. Scott O'Dell's magnificent "Island of the Blue Dolphins" is just that. Save your librarian some grief and buy a copy.
"The Island of the Blue Dolphins" is the story of a foolish young girl who missed the boat when the island was being evacuated. Far from it. Karana was on the boat. Her playful little brother, Ramo, wasn't. He was only 6 years old and could never survive alone. She jumped off and headed to shore to save him. The boat left.
Every little girl or boy has been alone, frightened without a clear way of finding his or her way home. Often, the problem is fixed by turning the next corner, finding out it is the same neighborhood it has always been. In the case of "The Island of the Blue Dolphins," Karana's home never changes. Everyone she knows and loves, however, leaves.
For 18 years Karana took care of herself, and she grows from a preteen child into a woman just entering her 30s. This is that story, filled with adventures similar to "Robinson Crusoe," another true story set to fiction. Fans of "Swiss Family Robinson," will likewise enjoy this.
Karana's ingenuity to survive is surpassed by her tenacity and hope. Weathering hard circumstances, such wild dogs, storms and the constant need to find fresh food and good water. She uses what she learned from her parents and other villagers before the left, and what she learns by trial an error.
As exciting as "Treasure Island," only with a female protagonist, the book is more than a tale of heroics. Scott O'Dell's keen sense of description separates this from the rest of the bookshelf. Although sensitive that his reader is younger, he still manages to place to reader in the story, imagining the smell of sea or hearing the not-so-far off bark of wild dogs.
Like other classics as "Old Yeller" and "My Brother Sam Is Dead," not everything comes easily to Karana. There are somber times when people leave, when her brother dies, or when things look bleak. O'Dell tells the story as realistically as he can, which makes the happy times happier.
I fully recommend "Island of the Blue Dolphins," by Scott O'Dell. It won "The Newberry Medal for Best Children's Book" for good reason.
Anthony Trendl
editor, HungarianBookstore.com

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favourite., 18 July 2014
This is a book I read when I was a child. Talking to a work colleague, I remembered it and was so pleased to find it still available and on the kindle. I loved reading it again as much now as when I first read it when I was nine or ten years old. I found the story fascinating then as now. A simple tale based on a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Recipient loved it. Arrived promptly. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adults too will love it, 3 July 2014
Children's book for 10 yrs + but as an adult I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the true story, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
True story so I am sure my granddaughters will love it. They live in Texas so I will show them exactly where the Island is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storry for children, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I bought this for my wife (a school teacher) and she really liked the story. Very good for junior school aged children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little story, 25 Mar 2014
Island of the Blue Dolphins is a wonderful little story written beautifully and with lots of emotion.I would recommend it to children and adults alike!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books)
Island of the Blue Dolphins (Puffin Books) by Scott O'Dell (Paperback - 29 Aug 1996)
5.29