5.0 out of 5 stars adventure and mystery
Published on 1 Aug 2010 by easter chick

2.0 out of 5 stars The Audio CD's - An Abridged Edition
This is on the whole a slightly poor version of the book. For a start Amazon proudly advertise the audio version as unabridged (which was why I bought it) and when the CD's arrived it states quite clearly the audio is abridged. So Amazon do need to update their records.

Tony Robinson does a fair job of the presentation, but then really spoils the reading by...
Published on 12 July 2012 by The Book Tower

5.0 out of 5 stars adventure and mystery, 1 Aug 2010
easter chick (surrey, england) - See all my reviews
This is the fantastically imaginative story of a boy who finds and befriends a cave-boy who is living in amonst the rubbish in a woodland dump. I read this with my 6 year old tom-boy daughter and she absolutely loved it. It's really well paced and has enough adventure and mystery to keep the pages turning and it had her begging for 'just one more page!'. Often the books I remember from my childhood seem dated and odd to the current generation but this book just feels timeless. It even seems on-the-ball with Stig's 're-use and recycle' lifestyle! I'd recommend it to absolutley anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I dig Stig!, 18 April 2012
This book is about a boy called Barney who is staying at his granny's house, and falls down a chalk pit and comes down upon the dump and through the roof of a caveman's house or den - Stig's. Together Stig and Barney have lots of adventures including going hunting, coming face to face with a cheetah that escaped from the zoo and also adding things to Stig's den for the better.
I really enjoyed this book - it was funny, adventurous and brilliant in lots of ways. I'm 9 and a half and I really liked it and I think readers from the age of 7-11 years old (more boys than girls, but they'll like it too) will thoroughly enjoy it just as much as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever audio story for all the family, 23 Oct 2010
A brilliant, funny,story for the car/at home/anywhere which is genuinely entertaining for adults as well as kids (any age above 3/4). I'd always enjoyed this story of Barney discovering a cave-boy living in the local rubbish dump but hearing it re-told by Tony Robinson made me love it even more. I've not always been a fan of Tony Robinson but he tells this so well with excellent impersonations - distracted Granny, local scruffs the Snarget brothers and the posh lady who holds a party for all the local children only to discover an escaped leopard from the circus has joined the party.
The final chapter is really affecting - Barney and his sister find themselves transported back to Stig's time. It's more mysterious and atmospheric but still rivetting.
We've listened to this as a family over and over again from when the children were 3/4 or so upwards. It's still making us smile now they're 7,10 and 12 and even when they fall asleep in the back of the car we let the CD play on as it's just so good. Suitable for boys and girls Enjoy.Stig of the Dump (Puffin Audiobooks)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 20 Jun 2004
This review is from: Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I have just sent this book as a present to my nephew. I remember spending hours reading it on summers days in my bedroom as a child. This totally captivated my imagination then and I can't think of many books that made more impact. The story has been described to death but the depth of imagination involved and the historic significance can't be overlooked. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for all ages and gender, the reader included!!, 9 Feb 2010
This was a great book that both my children really enjoyed, boy 6, girl 8. Bedtime is the usual nightmare!! in my house but I have to admit that I have taken to read them both the same book at the same time by sitting outside on the landing and the story was so fascinating that I would say "come on bed time and let see was Stig is up to" and they would both run up the stairs to continue the adventure. I worried maybe it might be more boy than girl but to be honest it suitable for any child with an imagination. Well written and easy to read and understand it had everything a child needs in it, adventure, new friend, mischief, silly and funny all rolled into one. If you are reading this to your children, you will enjoy it too.

PS reading on the landing is a great idea they both love the stories and it means that you routine is done in half the time. I hear the kids chatting about the book during the day too, which is novel for mine two.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Book, 2 Feb 2002
By A Customer
The recent television adaptation will have renewed interest in this book which was first published in 1963. It is a charming tale of a unique friendship. Although Barney and Stig have very different lives and speak different languages, they still learn a lot from one another. This is a timeless message for everyone. Whilst attitudes and lifestyle may have changed in some ways since the book was first published, the attitudes of children towards adventures can still be appreciated. This book is firmly set in a believeable context but also contains elements of fantasy (for example Stig himself). It is the way these fit together so well that provides much of the charm. Quite simply Barney is in need of a friend and finds his friend Stig in perhaps the most unlikely place. His families' relative lack of curiosity about Stig allows for many of the advetures Stig and Barney undertake together. Barney believes in Stig and really that is all that matters. I would recommend this book to every reader of all ages. First having been read it when I was very young and now discovering it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stig of the Dump, 3 Mar 2003
Chris Knight (Helena Valley, WA Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This book truly deserves to be rated as a modern classic.
It has everything, humour, wonderful descriptions from a child's point of view, a cracking concept and a great storyline.
This book is a sure-fire way to introduce a child into reading for themselves - walk them through the first chapter and they will be so captivated they will read the rest themselves or burst in the attempt.
Highly recommended - I would give it 5 stars but for the fact it is a little dated and some of the concepts would be lost on a modern child. Nevertheless it deserves at least 4½ stars.
Imagine falling in a disused quarry, now a rubbish dump (exciting enough in itself) but to find yourself confronted by a real live cave-boy, somehow transported 25,000 years forward in time. Stig (the cave boy) cannot speak (of course) in more than a few grunts, but that's not a problem, kids don't need spoken language to communicate. He is ingenious, brave and resourceful. The two of them get up to a whole heap of adventures culminating in a trip back in time one hot summer night to see Stigs tribe.
Read it and enjoy .. you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stig of the Dump, 3 Jan 2010
R. Cottam (UK) - See all my reviews
Dorian Cottam, age 7, writes 'Barney and Lou go for a holiday to their grandparents' house. Barney goes to the dump and meets Stig. What I liked best was when Barney helped Stig make a window and a chimney for his house. Stig is a caveman who likes to mess about in his cave. When Barney went out to see him at night, over the hill by the dump, he saw loads of cave-men and cave-women and cave-babies. I especially liked Stig's arrows and how he did drawings on the wall with pieces of chalk which he had mined out of his own wall.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Sep 2012
Love these audio books for car journeys. Stig of the Dump creates great imagery and is a series of lovely stories that inspire children - my 9 year old son loves them. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 14 Jun 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I loved this story as a child. Even then it was dated, but classic stories like this easily weather that. Barney's growing relationship with the caveboy Stig is so magical that you become totally immersed in their world. I am looking forward to reading this to my own children. It has all the ingredients of a classic adventure story, a lonely boy finds a special friend who is unique and magical and together they create a world of their own.

Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books)
Stig of the Dump (Puffin Books) by Clive King (Paperback - 25 Jan 1973)
Used & New from: £0.01